Corporal Punishment...

The corporal punishment you experienced was...

• A net plus to you growing up

Votes: 23 74.2%
  • A net negative to you growing up

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Made no difference but, hey, it has it's place

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Made no difference and has no place

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...this is ONLY for people who took at least ONE whoopin' from mom and/or dad as a kid and/or your siblings did.

This is NOT in defense of losing control and parents who are in a rage when 'corporal' punishing their kid. I think, I hope, we all agree Peterson went WAY too far and the idea is to apply a CONTROLLED deliberate dose of corporal punishment. However, if you got whooped by the old man when he was drunk or mom and/or dad were not really in control, your opinion counts, too.

So, criteria 1; you must have received at least a whooping, controlled or otherwise. From there, make your selection.

And wait for the ####ing poll or corporal punishment is in your immediate future. :tap:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It depends on what you mean by a "whipping". My grandmother would spank my ass, and my great-grandmother would smack us kids on the back of the legs with a flyswatter. My mom never hit me until I was a teenager, then it was a punch in the arm. Nobody ever left marks on me or hit me in the face. We were yellers, not hitters.

MMM_donuts

I think physical violence towards a child, controlled or otherwise, is inappropriate, ineffective, and should be illegal.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Grandma would hit me with her fly swatter, it was gross. Dad would give us the belt on a bare butt or choke us when he didn’t think things through. Mom would just talk us into submission. The talking was by far the worst. She’d drone on for days until I wanted to overdose on my asthma medicine.

:dead:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Grandma would hit me with her fly swatter, it was gross. Dad would give us the belt on a bare butt or choke us when he didn’t think things through. Mom would just talk us into submission. The talking was by far the worst. She’d drone on for days until I wanted to overdose on my asthma medicine.

:lol:

Stop making me laugh about child abuse. :mad:

I had my unimpressive physical corrections coming and am no worse for the wear. If I were actually beaten and injured, I'm sure I'd feel differently. It's a matter of degree.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, maybe 2-3 spankings by Dad under the age of 10, never anything that would leave a mark, more a shaming thing than anything else, I think. My kids, I think the daugher got one, son maybe two. Maybe as hard as golf clapping :)

MMDad

Lem Putt
My parents did it the wrong way. I was only hit out of anger, so it tended to be a whoopin.

When my kids were little I never spanked them when I was angry. I also never spanked as punishment. It was only to discipline - to end a dangerous behavior or to reinforce the point. It turns out that you don't really have to spank your kids hard or often as long as they know the threat is there.

Kids are a lot like dogs. Somebody has to be in charge, the Alpha, or they try to take over. You have to firmly show them who is boss, then they are happy to obey. But just like dogs, if you go past the point of discipline and turn it into a beating you end up doing more than just physical damage.

MMDad

Lem Putt

My dad was the worst with talking. He rarely beat me, but I think that the lectures were more painful.

MMDad

Lem Putt
I think physical violence towards a child, controlled or otherwise, is inappropriate, ineffective, and should be illegal.

Violence? Define, please. If you mean beatings, 100% agree.

Violence implies anger and beatings. Or do you mean any physical discipline at all?

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
I had my share of spankings and the belt across my ass a couple times. I learned not to do those things that got me in trouble anymore.

MMM_donuts

Violence? Define, please. If you mean beatings, 100% agree. Violence implies anger and beatings. Or do you mean any physical discipline at all?

Physical force with the intention of causing pain.

I mean physical discipline. I know it's an unpopular opinion and I don't expect people to agree with me. There's a ton of scientific data that definitely states spanking is purely detrimental to the psychological well being and development of the child.

Lilypad

My mother hand a hand like a hawk, it would swoop down out of nowhere and pop me on my butt. :jameo: I was the youngest of 7 so she was pretty much played out by the time I came along-I couldn't get away w/nuthin'. I heard tales from my brothers and sisters how they were made to "fetch a switch." My father did the guilt-trip lecture-laudy! :blahblah: I will say my skin was never broken/bleeding and I lived to tell.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Physical force with the intention of causing pain.

I mean physical discipline. I know it's an unpopular opinion and I don't expect people to agree with me. There's a ton of scientific data that definitely states spanking is purely detrimental to the psychological well being and development of the child.

There are also studies that come to the opposite conclusion. A professor at UMD told me that in her opinion the studies only prove that if you want to prove either side of the story the data is there to do so.

We'll agree to disagree on the right way to do it.

But as for the law, it is already illegal to beat kids. Are you advocating making a spanking that causes no damage illegal also?

MMM_donuts

There are also studies that come to the opposite conclusion. A professor at UMD told me that in her opinion the studies only prove that if you want to prove either side of the story the data is there to do so. We'll agree to disagree on the right way to do it. But as for the law, it is already illegal to beat kids. Are you advocating making a spanking that causes no damage illegal also?

Yes, let's agree to disagree.

I do agree that studies are commonly misrepresented in the media to favor a particular agenda. It's quite easy to do.

I'd seriously consider making spanking a child illegal, yes. But then I'd have to reevaluate how I feel about having my beliefs imposed on others and how my own personal experience is factoring in my opinion. As it currently stands, I am neither a lawmaker or a parent and I've accepted that I have little say in the debate beyond offering an opposing viewpoint.

I try not to judge others for their judicious use of spanking because 1) I don't know what it's like to deal with a child that just won't cooperate or listen or learn and 2) I understand that there are people that truly believe it is effective and intend to use it as positively as possible.

I don't understand spanking. I understand the rationale behind biting a child that's biting others better than I understand spanking.

dontknowwhy

I took a Puritanistic approach.
When the boy hit 6 mos. old, I'd wake him up to a morning beating & wish him a good night's sleep with an evening beating until he moved out.
Now he just sits in his padded room all day, tearing the limbs off of GI Joe dolls, muttering my name.

I think it's something about how much he appreciates the love & attention I gave him while growing up...

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I can't participate in this. I don't think it's that cut and dry. I believe in discipline and corporal punishment, and I believe there is a fine line between discipline and abuse. I also believe it's easy to cross that line.

I'm okay with spanking a child, but only as a last resort. You shouldn't use a weapon to spank with. If you do, you can't tell how much pain your causing.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I can't participate in this. I don't think it's that cut and dry. I believe in discipline and corporal punishment, and I believe there is a fine line between discipline and abuse. I also believe it's easy to cross that line.

I'm okay with spanking a child, but only as a last resort. You shouldn't use a weapon to spank with. If you do, you can't tell how much pain your causing.

^That^ plus I think spanking should be used only for willful disobedience, not for accidentally spilling milk on the floor, say, or being too young to fingerpaint without getting it on the carpet.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
^That^ plus I think spanking should be used only for willful disobedience, not for accidentally spilling milk on the floor, say, or being too young to fingerpaint without getting it on the carpet.

At what age does someone stop spanking? My kids are teenagers, so it's not an option but I had one tell me the other day when I told them to do their homework. "No, I'm not going too." and "you can't make me", "shut up", "F-You!" etc. They’re too old to spank but too young to throw out of the house. Is it okay to tase them?

:popcorn:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
At what age does someone stop spanking? My kids are teenagers, so it's not an option but I had one tell me the other day when I told them to do their homework. "No, I'm not going too." and "you can't make me", "shut up", "F-You!" etc. They’re too old to spank but too young to throw out of the house. Is it okay to tase them?

:popcorn:

Are you kidding me? My dad turned me over his knee when I was 15/16, in front of my friends, for disrespect.