Pellet Stoves...

Chris0nllyn

Anyone have a Breckwell P24?

I should be picking up a new (to me) insert on Sunday and was wanting to get input from those who have pellet stoves.

It will be installed in an existing brick fireplace, along with a new stainless chimney liner.

I plan on giving it a through cleaning and testing before installing it. I plan on using Lignetics pellets, and I'll be getting an ash vac.

What sort of maintenance intervals are you guys going with? Any input on pellets and/or prices? Cut down on your oil bill after getting one? Any other input is appreciated.

MR47930

We just had a Harman insert installed a few months back and are ready for the winter. Sorry I cant answer any of your questions really as I havent been able to use it yet besides just to test if it worked. Check out the forum below, tons of info on there about stoves, cleaning, pellets, etc.
As far as pellets go we got 2 tons of O'Malleys for "free" from the dealer for buying the stove, im sure the price was worked in somewhere. We bought 2 more tons of Lignetics from 231 farm center in Prince Frederick for ~$240 a ton plus $30 delivery. Ill probably try to pick up a couple bags here and there of different brands to see what burns the best so ill have a better idea of what to stock up on next year.

http://www.hearth.com/talk/forums/the-pellet-mill-pellet-and-multifuel-stoves.14/

sidenote: We have electric heat so im hoping to save some $$ on electric bills this winter and be able to keep the house warmer. On the hearth.com forum a lot of people cut their oil bill by a lot and the stove almost paid for itsself in a year or two.

Last edited:

nutz

I should be picking up a new (to me) insert on Sunday and was wanting to get input from those who have pellet stoves.

It will be installed in an existing brick fireplace, along with a new stainless chimney liner.

I plan on giving it a through cleaning and testing before installing it. I plan on using Lignetics pellets, and I'll be getting an ash vac.

What sort of maintenance intervals are you guys going with? Any input on pellets and/or prices? Cut down on your oil bill after getting one? Any other input is appreciated.

I have one, think it's the 22 though. Alot of the pellets missed the cast burnpot so I fabbed up an extender that sits on top of the burnpot. I pull the unit out and brush/vacuum the unit and chimney before the season starts. After 6 or 7 seasons, the only real maintenance was unclogging the auger (once) and replacing the convection blower. Since the replacement is pricey, I gutted theirs and just used a hi-cfm box fan.

Vince

I have a Breckwell. Don't know if it's a P24 or not. :shrug: Don't have a lot of problems with pellets missing the pot. Just had a pipe put in from the stove all the way to the top of the chimney. For pellets I use Lignetics or Hammer. My elect usage goes way down in the winter. The heat pump hardly kicks on.

Last edited:

Chris0nllyn

Good to hear. Thanks for the replies.

The stove I got is actually the P2000i, not the P24 like the guy said.

It definitely needs some TLC, and I'll need to figure out why it won't feed pellets. Fingers crossed it's a bad thermodisc, but for less than $200, I'm not complaining.

How is the heat dissipation in your homes? Mine will be going in the basement (insulated) in a split foyer and I'm wondering if it will be a sauna downstairs and needing blankets upstairs.

OldHillcrestGuy

I have a Breckwell stand alone that I have had for about 8 years now. I have yet to replace a part, I have it serviced each summer. My oil consumption for a year is about 160 gallons. I live in a split foyer about 2000 sq ft and the stove just about takes care of the whole house. I have my furnace set at about 60 and it seldom comes on. SMO delivers me twice a year after I call, I keep an eye on the gauge and never let it get below half a tank. My delivery is usually about 75 gallons each time.
For the past 4 years or so I got my pellets from a individual who took orders and had tons of pellets delivered to his home. They were excellent pellets, several times we had Country Boy and another time it was Henry County Hardwoods pellets. Well he isn't doing it this year so Im in a really bad need for pellets and prefer Hammers. Years back we had Lignetics and Penningtons and had lots of ash dust from them. I have heard that as the heating season goes along pellets are going to be hard to come by. So today Im going to start looking and need at least 5 tons for me and my son. I may even go 4 tons for myself as we did use all 3 tons we had last year.

Last edited:

dave1959

We have a Lopi Leyden stand alone. Have had it about 6-7 years. We treat it as a our primary heat source. Standard Split foyer about 2400 sf. Basement is mostly finished.
It keeps our home about 75-78 (yes that's warm, but I DONT like cold ) all winter except those couple of days when that really cold arctic air comes in. Heat pump stay on 60 just in case, Runs maybe 6-7 times a season. Last couple of years we have burned O'malleys, they seem to be ok, No complaints. I'm not sure how much money we "save" but a heat pump could not keep my house that warm even if it wanted to. We typically use about 5 tons in a season. I got Lignetics this year so we'll see how they do.

One thing I have learned, and some people will disagree... All stoves burn pellets differently...what works for one person will not necessarily work for you. So when someone says " brand A is the best.. bla, bla,bla... take it with a grain of salt.

Chris0nllyn

We have a Lopi Leyden stand alone. Have had it about 6-7 years. We treat it as a our primary heat source. Standard Split foyer about 2400 sf. Basement is mostly finished.
It keeps our home about 75-78 (yes that's warm, but I DONT like cold ) all winter except those couple of days when that really cold arctic air comes in. Heat pump stay on 60 just in case, Runs maybe 6-7 times a season. Last couple of years we have burned O'malleys, they seem to be ok, No complaints. I'm not sure how much money we "save" but a heat pump could not keep my house that warm even if it wanted to. We typically use about 5 tons in a season. I got Lignetics this year so we'll see how they do.

One thing I have learned, and some people will disagree... All stoves burn pellets differently...what works for one person will not necessarily work for you. So when someone says " brand A is the best.. bla, bla,bla... take it with a grain of salt.

Do you run the stove on high all the time to get that temp? Just curious as most folks in the house size range seem to burn about 3 tons.

Thanks for the input!

OldHillcrestGuy

Do you run the stove on high all the time to get that temp? Just curious as most folks in the house size range seem to burn about 3 tons.

Thanks for the input!

I only burn my stove on the 2nd setting, guess its median. I think my booklet says its not good to always run on high as it shorten the fan motors life.

dave1959

Do you run the stove on high all the time to get that temp? Just curious as most folks in the house size range seem to burn about 3 tons. Thanks for the input!

During the cold of winter it stays on hi, 24/7... In the shoulder seasons it runs on a thermostat at 3/4...have not had any breakdowns except last winter I had to put in an igniter.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I used a bit over 2 tons last season in a 2,400 + sqft Cape. When we had our coldest air (January) and folks had $600-$1000 electric bills, ours was a shade over $400. We had to use our heat pump for the basement since the stove is on the main floor. (3 heat pumps in our house.)

nutz

Thanks for the input!

You should be able to use an external thermostat and let the stove decide.

Chris0nllyn

You should be able to use an external thermostat and let the stove decide.

Which I may do, eventually. Just have to run the wires and all.

If I can help it, I'd rather not have it going on and off, contributing to a burned out igniter.

I was trying to gauge the pellet use people are getting. I'm thinking about ordering 3 tons

Which I may do, eventually. Just have to run the wires and all.

If I can help it, I'd rather not have it going on and off, contributing to a burned out igniter.

I was trying to gauge the pellet use people are getting. I'm thinking about ordering 3 tons

I've replaced one in over 20 years on the same stove.

I ordered 4 tons. Usually go thru 3, last year almost 4. 3200 sq feet multi-level, very little insulation in the walls.

Chris0nllyn

I've replaced one in over 20 years on the same stove.

I ordered 4 tons. Usually go thru 3, last year almost 4. 3200 sq feet multi-level, very little insulation in the walls.

Good to know.

How often did you find your primary heat source come on last year (oil or electric)?