Internet Trolls Are Narcissists, Psychopaths, and Sadists...

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Source.

"In this month's issue of Personality and Individual Differences, a study was published that confirms what we all suspected: internet trolls are horrible people.

Let's start by getting our definitions straight. An internet troll is someone who comes into a discussion and posts comments designed to upset or disrupt the conversation. Often, it seems like there is no real purpose behind their comments except to upset everyone else involved. Trolls will lie, exaggerate, and offend to get a response.

What kind of person would do this? Canadian researchers decided to find out. They conducted two internet studies with over 1,200 people. They gave personality tests to each subject along with a survey about their internet commenting behavior. They were looking for evidence that linked trolling with the Dark Tetrad of personality: narcissism, Machiavellianism, psychopathy, and sadistic personality.

Trolls truly enjoy making you feel bad. To quote the authors once more (because this is a truly quotable article):

"Both trolls and sadists feel sadistic glee at the distress of others. Sadists just want to have fun ... and the Internet is their playground!"So next time you encounter a troll online, remember a few things. (1) These trolls are some truly messed up people and (2) it is your suffering that brings them pleasure, so the best thing you can do is ignore them."

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Source.

"In this month's issue of Personality and Individual Differences, a study was published that confirms what we all suspected: internet trolls are horrible people.

Let's start by getting our definitions straight. An internet troll is someone who comes into a discussion and posts comments designed to upset or disrupt the conversation. Often, it seems like there is no real purpose behind their comments except to upset everyone else involved. Trolls will lie, exaggerate, and offend to get a response.

What kind of person would do this? Canadian researchers decided to find out. They conducted two internet studies with over 1,200 people. They gave personality tests to each subject along with a survey about their internet commenting behavior. They were looking for evidence that linked trolling with the Dark Tetrad of personality: narcissism, Machiavellianism, psychopathy, and sadistic personality.

Trolls truly enjoy making you feel bad. To quote the authors once more (because this is a truly quotable article):

"Both trolls and sadists feel sadistic glee at the distress of others. Sadists just want to have fun ... and the Internet is their playground!"So next time you encounter a troll online, remember a few things. (1) These trolls are some truly messed up people and (2) it is your suffering that brings them pleasure, so the best thing you can do is ignore them."

So if I look up the word internet troll , there is a picture of you , right ?:yay::patriot:

This is just too easy.

Roman

:blushing:What is an internet troll? When I have free time, I log in here, and surf around. I also like looking at the Birthday people's profiles, and have found some pretty old, but interesting threads by doing so. Does that make me a troll? I have noticed that most of the Birthday people either have never posted, or they stopped posting a long time ago, for some reason. Is this trolling?

mamatutu

mama to two

Are you kidding me? You are the definition of a troll. I thought you were, actually, a nice person when I saw you post a while back about patriotism. I was wrong.

I am looking forward to the future when you post a thought that, actually, has to do with the subject of a thread. I may have to resort to eating popcorn while I wait. :lol:

:popcorn:

Last edited:

Salvador

One Nation Under God
Are you kidding me? You are the definition of a troll. I thought you were, actually, a nice person when I saw you post a while back about patriotism. I was wrong.

I am looking forward to the future when you post a thought that, actually, has to do with the subject of a thread. I may have to resort to eating popcorn while I wait. :lol:

mamatutu

mama to two
When you stop killing cats .:patriot::doh:

I know members hate when a thread is taken off topic, but this is personal to me.

I didn't kill my cat, nor do I kill cats. I take care of my own, and try to help strays.

We spent $2000 to make Sox cancer free. He is minus a leg, but thriving and happy. What is your problem? When you are trolling, you could, at least, keep your facts straight. Oh, my bad! Trolls don't care. They just vomit all over a forum because they are narcissistic psychopaths (I would actually use the word sociopath, but whatever) sadists. And, I might add, obviously, very unhappy people, as yourself. Carry on, troll.

Sox is wearing three socks, now. It is funny about animals. They show gratitude in the most amazing ways. Sox never leaves my side now. He began life with a handicap in that he was born deaf. He will be 15 in a few months, and is a pretty amazing little guy.

Last edited:

mamatutu

mama to two
You always , always,are .

Another symptom of a troll. Taking parts of posts out of context. That is how y'all survive; in hopes that others don't read entire threads. Is this how you get your kicks? I feel sorry for you. Poor, BB. This forum used to give out yearly awards about who was what. If that was still the case, you would be a contender for the Troll Award. I would vote for you. :patriot:

Last edited:

Hijinx

This has been a funny Thread.

Funniest thing about it is all 3 out of 4 of our usual trolls, (who in reality are probably the same person) voted Mamatutu a troll.