Science...with a capital "S"

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
CSI TV show has ruined people for Juries ..... because - Gosh you know all that stuff on TV is true

tommyjo

An excellent article, I thought. It explains why anyone who ever uttered the phrase "the science is settled", knows less than nothing about what science actually is.

http://theweek.com/article/index/268360/how-our-botched-understanding-of-science-ruins-everything

Excellent article? It seems your author doesn't understand much about the subject...but then, why would he? He is an "entrepreneur and writer". WTF does he know?

Obviously he fails on his point about psychology, economics and climate change. I wonder if your child writer source bothered to read the articles he referenced? Here is a quote from the NPR article he linked on replicating psych tests:

...as well as some failures to replicate the results of classic experiments. But the more troubling issues for the field are pervasive but problematic practices that could support an overabundance of false positives: statistically significant results that make it into the scientific literature, but that don't reflect real psychological phenomena.

How could this happen?

The short answer is that such "findings" sneak in through the gap between practice and publication — especially in the analysis and selective reporting of data

This is the fundamental failure of the majority of your posts and those of the rest of the far right, Tea Party moron crew. You read some BS article from a "fair and balanced" website and believe every word...never look up any of the data...never read the source material...you all just chomp down on the hook and get reeled into the boat like a brain dead cod.

Your article posting only serves to shines a bright light on the stupidity of the right/far right.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Excellent article? It seems your author doesn't understand much about the subject...

Setting aside my degrees in scientific fields and 30 years of practice therein, let us instead delve in to the dark and obviously warped workings of your own mind. Shall we? Yes, let's proceed.

I cannot recall one...not one..post from your deranged self that actually qualifies as "rationally supported" or "coherently argued". What do you have to say to that, sweet cheeks?..and why isn't my sammich ready?

And what do you know about penguins?

Hijinx

Setting aside my degrees in scientific fields and 30 years of practice therein, let us instead delve in to the dark and obviously warped workings of your own mind. Shall we? Yes, let's proceed.

I cannot recall one...not one..post from your deranged self that actually qualifies as "rationally supported" or "coherently argued". What do you have to say to that, sweet cheeks?..and why isn't my sammich ready?

And what do you know about penguins?

Penguins do not fly ------and neither do Tommy Jo's Posts.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Penguins do not fly ------and neither do Tommy Jo's Posts.

Yes but...she has no teeth. :rockin:

I can still recall when I was offered the position as "Chief Government Scientist" at the RAAP...around 1987. They should have talked to Tommy first.. LOL..

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

Remember right after Hurricane Katrina how the global warming alarmists were predicting the next year would be even worse for hurricanes, that was 8 years ago and ever since it has been rather light. Some called them out on this prediction and they chalked up the lighter than normal hurricane seasons up to global warming.

PeoplesElbow

Typhoon Haiyan, highest wind speed ever recorded at least 235mph. 2013.

A single data point for something difficult to measure to begin with because you have to have instruments where the data point occurred.

Where is this increased activity? Are you willing to admit that prediction was wrong?

Your info is different than what is on wikipedia also.

Highest winds 10-minute sustained: 230 km/h (145 mph)
1-minute sustained: 315 km/h (195 mph)

At 1800 UTC, the JTWC estimated the system's one-minute sustained winds to 315 km/h (195 mph), unofficially making Haiyan the strongest tropical cyclone ever observed based on wind speed; several others have recorded lower central pressure readings.

Looks like you got mph and kph wrong, hope you're not a scientist.

Last edited:

daileyck1

My bad sustained was 195mph gusts 235mph. strongest typhoon to hit land and 4th highest ever recorded.

As for the prediction being wrong, I am not going to argue with scientists.
The increased activity is worldwide not just in the states.

GregV814

pontificate among yourselves.... is the fruit named for its color orange....or was the color named after the fruit..... explain

Larry Gude

Strung Out
An excellent article, I thought. It explains why anyone who ever uttered the phrase "the science is settled", knows less than nothing about what science actually is.

]

This should be plastered all over buses, walls, containers, Al Gore's face...

What distinguishes modern science from other forms of knowledge such as philosophy is that it explicitly forsakes abstract reasoning about the ultimate causes of things and instead tests empirical theories through controlled investigation. Science is not the pursuit of capital-T Truth. It's a form of engineering — of trial by error. Scientific knowledge is not "true" knowledge, since it is knowledge about only specific empirical propositions — which is always, at least in theory, subject to further disproof by further experiment.

GREAT post.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Gilly go fetch me some fries biatch.

You planning on applying at a McDonald's after you turn 16?

The last time I "fetched" any food, it was from the kitchen of the restaurant that I owned, helping out my staff when they got extra busy. We served a limited food menu in the bar area too...and that was across the parking lot, over the water. Depending on how many charters ran and when they came in, could get really busy on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Everyone had to pitch in and help out. Good times.

Speaking of "menial" jobs, I spent far more of my time emptying the trashcans from behind the bars (3) and restocking the beer coolers. So that my team of capable bartenders could just stay busy serving people.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I am not going to argue with scientists.

But, that IS science!!!!! Arguing!!! This is CRITICAL; good science is ALL about being challenged and then answering the challenge. Not winning, not being 'right' for all time or 'THE truth'. Science is about taking an argument (sometimes called a 'hypothesis') and then testing it out. Repeatable, predictable results can be understood as 'settled' science but, only in context of the PARTICULARS of the experiment. As we learn new things, as we go back and re-asses what was 'known' then, what was settled, will always been settled IN THAT context. New info, fixing and old assumption proved out incorrect, whatever, simply makes it a NEW hypothesis subject to being repeatable and predictable.

One of the reasons we, the people, are so susceptible to accepting 'the science is settled' is we WANT things to be settled so we can go about our daily lives but, a real scientist NEVER wants anything to be settled. Only settled as per the given conditions and specifics. Which are very often subject to new variables...and so it goes.

Point being that anyone who says 'the science is settled' ESPECIALLY about something as complex as environmental sciences, should be laughed at and given a broom.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The least satisfying explanation is that it’s easy to make a name for yourself and get funding and research grants if you back the global warming consensus. That’s true, but it doesn’t seem quite sufficient.

this is my general thought .... Climate Change is a billion dollar industry now a days