New traffic pattern on 4

xobxdoc

I was heading south on 4 today between Dunkirk and Huntingtown. It was relatively crowded on the road and I am doing maybe 60 when I noticed a bike less than a bike length from my bumper. The rider appeared to be annoyed at all the traffic. He sat on his bike posing with a hand on his leg. Then all of the sudden he bolts down the center of the road on the dotted line at better than 80. He passed about 5 pairs of cars like that. His buddy decided to use the shoulder to pass.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I was heading south on 4 today between Dunkirk and Huntingtown. It was relatively crowded on the road and I am doing maybe 60 when I noticed a bike less than a bike length from my bumper. The rider appeared to be annoyed at all the traffic. He sat on his bike posing with a hand on his leg. Then all of the sudden he bolts down the center of the road on the dotted line at better than 80. He passed about 5 pairs of cars like that. His buddy decided to use the shoulder to pass.

There's a cure for that.
If you happen to see this action coming from behind, pull your door handle. the door will "crack" open.

GregV814

the same bicyclists I commented on a few weeks ago....that caused some of you to give 5 rations of crapola????????????

mdff21

the same bicyclists I commented on a few weeks ago....that caused some of you to give 5 rations of crapola????????????

I doubt this was a bicyclist. Doing 60 and then up to about 80.. one heck of a set of legs to pedal that fast!!!

When they get on my rear bumper, I just have to wash my windshield.

phobos512

But that is in gridlock traffic, not when you are at highway speed.

No, that's not true. It is at any time. The only place it is mentioned is on the CHP website and it says to do so in a safe and prudent manner. It's completely up to the cop's judgment when s/he pulls you over whether you were doing so. It is 100% not covered by any law in California - that's why I said it is "not illegal" as opposed to "legal". I lived in California for 28 years and was a motorcyclist for 11 of them - I did extensive research on this because of people making statements such as yours all the time - there are ZERO rules, ZERO limits. Only whatever the cop thinks. So you can do it but if they pull you over you have zero defense to say you weren't doing it "wrong" because there IS no "wrong" or "right" when it comes to lane splitting/sharing in California.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

California law does not allow or prohibit motorcycles from passing other vehicles proceeding in the same direction within the same lane, a practice often called "lane splitting," "lane sharing" or "filtering."

Last edited: