Allergic Reaction

UNA

Up front: took him to the emergency vet, he doing OK now.

Yesterday around 11am noticed that our dog (17 lb mix breed) had a few hives on the lower part of his body, he seemed very itchy. Gave him about 13 mg of Benadryl. Gave him a bath. By around 3 he had a new hive on his muzzle but the hives on his body were shrinking. Gave him another 13 mg around that time and took him to his grandparents house to play with the pups there. Went out and got back around 11pm and his face was much more swelled. The hives had become reddish and he had redness between his legs as if he'd been scratching. The swelling was noticeably better by the time we got home from the vet and is even better this morning. He never seemed to be bothered by it other than the itching, was running around playing. Airways seemed clear but took him to the emergent vet in Waldorf. They gave him a shot of steroids, IV fluids an told us to keep him on about 19 mg of Benadryl every 8 hours for 48 hours. We are to take him back to the vet if the swelling isn't down by tomorrow.

So. Trying to figure what he had a reaction to. Food hasn't changed. We have 2 cats, they're fine, no changes in the their food. None of the other dogs he played with were new or had any reactions themselves. Vet couldn't find any bites. Hives never seemed painful to him, just itchy. On Wednesday, I wan into a spiney orb spider in the back year (it's the time of year they lay eggs) so we're going to spray the yard with pet safe insecticide and break up the small woodpile.

Anyone have any ideas what it could have been?? I know it's a long shot but want to be able to clear away whatever it was the best we can.

Tl;dr
Dog had an allergic reaction, trying to figure out what it was. He's OK now.

Thanks in advance!

Roman

It's hard to tell, but it could have been a bug bite. When was his last topical flea treatment? Could have been a reaction to that. I'm happy he is well now.

UNA

He was at the vet Thursday the 11th. Got a rabbies vaccine, distemper. Got Frontline and Heart guard the same day. He's had these vaccinations and treatments before and not had any reactions.

Roman

He was at the vet Thursday the 11th. Got a rabbies vaccine, distemper. Got Frontline and Heart guard the same day. He's had these vaccinations and treatments before and not had any reactions.
Usually, they won't have reactions right away, and it might take a while for it to happen. A person could take a medicine for years, and all of the sudden, develop a reaction to it. My pup has to take Benedryl before getting any of her shots. She takes it 2 hours before. I think I have it boiled down to the Lyme, and/or the Boardatella shots. I no longer give those to her.

UNA

Ah, we'll have to preventively give him Benadryl before his shot next year. Thanks :)

Roman

Ah, we'll have to preventively give him Benadryl before his shot next year. Thanks :)
Ask your Vet first, because s/he will have to give you the dosage, but I think you have that already . But definitely tell them that about 48 hours after of his shots & flea & tick stuff, that this is what happened. I usually put the topical flea stuff on the day after the shots, then give the heart worm a day, or two later. You figure your little guy had a bombardment of topical, injections, and then the oral heart worm the same day I take it. How is he doing now?

UNA

Will do. Thanks! He's doing much better now, swelling is down significantly. He's very lethargic but that is most likely the Benadryl. He seems happy, tail wagging her and there, eating, drinking. So I think he's good. He was just looked sooo pathetic lol