time to lift the ban on EXPORTING OIL ?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Why would the price of crude necessarily rise if we exported some? I would expect the opposite to be more likely.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
the article I read stated there would be an explosion of JOBS .... etc in the energy sector if we started exporting

why not keep OUR OIL at home :shrug:

- I really don't have an answer, I am, looking for information

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
why not keep OUR OIL at home

Because nothing "guarantees" that is the most economically efficient thing to do. An export ban is an entirely artificial trade barrier having nothing to do with the fact that the best economic use could involve the unrestricted flow of the commodity in either direction at any given moment or place. Transporting costs money and the export ban adds arbitrary costs accordingly.

The increasing oil supply and need to move it around is right now being very good to some of the marine operators and the shipyards that build their vessels. Crowley, for example, has been investing very heavily in the expansion of their fleet of vessels (ATB vessels mostly) to move oil around the US and Carri bean basin.

We've barely begun exporting LNG....but the effects are already showing up. http://www.the-american-interest.com/blog/2014/09/23/u-s-gas-cutting-into-gazproms-bottom-line/

Last edited:

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
Why would the price of crude necessarily rise if we exported some? I would expect the opposite to be more likely.

Because our oil is almost exclusively shale oil which is more expensive to refine/produce than stuff from elsewhere. In order for that oil to be economically viable to extract and sell on the global markets, that by definition means prices have risen to the point where it is economically rewarding to do so. Furthermore, this would cause a strengthening dollar, which would make all exports (not just manufactured goods, but also oil) more expensive.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Because our oil is almost exclusively shale oil .

Current production of all "tight oil" (which includes shale oil) is about 3 million barrels per day. Total production in US is currently at about 8.3 million barrels per day. I'm pretty sure that 36% and "almost exclusively" are not the same thing.

Some discussion (and guesses) of potential pros and cons here:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2014/09/20/with-production-booming-pressure-builds-allow-exports-crude-oil/F1kKlSk7jBMtLWuolivpDL/story.html

and here:

http://www.marinelink.com/news/exporting-nobrainer-crude377856.aspx

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

We should keep ours while burning up the rest of the worlds, then when they are left out in the cold we should still keep ours.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
We should keep ours while burning up the rest of the worlds, then when they are left out in the cold we should still keep ours.

Not a bad idea, in theory, but practically speaking, that point is hundreds of years down the road. Maybe farther. Every year goes by, the known reserves of new oil grow and grow, either due to new discoveries or due to enabling recovery technology improvements. The world is awash in oil.

I'm quite happy to give the exporting of it a go..and see what actually happens to prices worldwide and how it affects the economy here at home. It's not like a decision to allow export can't be reversed.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Not a bad idea, in theory, but practically speaking, that point is hundreds of years down the road. Maybe farther. Every year goes by, the known reserves of new oil grow and grow, either due to new discoveries or due to enabling recovery technology improvements. The world is awash in oil.

I'm quite happy to give the exporting of it a go..and see what actually happens to prices worldwide and how it affects the economy here at home. It's not like a decision to allow export can't be reversed.

Yup. The ONLY way to get more $ out of oil is to artificially limit it.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Recent surges in American oil production have indeed led to lower oil and fuel prices, which may well continue to fall, he said. But the type of oil extracted from American shale fields is largely light crude and can’t all be domestically refined into gasoline and other fuels because most US refineries are geared toward processing heavy crude.

interesting ..... then build a new refinery that can handle the light

Larry Gude

Strung Out

That's not the point. Our oil is better, a lot of it. MUCH better. Using it for fuel is like using top shelf olive oil for french fries. It gets used for high end lubricants and premium stuff the crap oil can't be processed for.

SG_Player1974

Lets get real....

If anyone thinks that releasing OUR oil to the global market is going to have a POSITIVE impact on prices is kidding themselves. It is far too late for any of that!

Do you really think that we can go back to "The way it was?" Too many people have gotten used to the "new" pricing on oil, gasoline, food, etc. and have already adjusted their business plans and revenue handling accordingly. I'm affraid that we are stuck with $3.00+ per gallon gasoline along with the prices of everything else that relies on oil to get it where it needs to go.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Who would do that? The refining sector sucks rocks economically; that is why so many have closed or been sold off to minor players in recent years.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Lets get real....

If anyone thinks that releasing OUR oil to the global market is going to have a POSITIVE impact on prices is kidding themselves. .

Barely more than the knowledge that our LNG is going on the global market has resulted in reductions in natural gas pricing already. Why are you sure it would be different for oil? I'm not sure what the effect might be...but would like to find out by seeing the spigot turned on to find out.