Ribs hurt when I take a deep breath

PeoplesElbow

This is pretty weird but my left side toward the back, bottom of ribcage hurts when i take a really deep breath. I feel great otherwise and wouldn't have even known this except I was breathing hard from a workout earlier and took a really deep breath.

Sound like cause for alarm? I have a physical in two weeks and I suppose I should mention it.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
This is pretty weird but my left side toward the back, bottom of ribcage hurts when i take a really deep breath. I feel great otherwise and wouldn't have even known this except I was breathing hard from a workout earlier and took a really deep breath.

Sound like cause for alarm? I have a physical in two weeks and I suppose I should mention it.

Tumor.
Get it checked out soon, please.

I used to get those alot. It was just a minor mis-alignment of the rib joint, a bit of arthritis. Taking a huge deep breath and pushing past the pain let it pop back into place.

mamatutu

mama to two
PE, did you do an ab workout today? My hub says that can cause discomfort in the ribs; especially if you twisted wrong. Hope you feel better.

MMM_donuts

You could have pulled a muscle or cracked a rib. If it seriously begins to impede your ability to breathe or starts to hurt worse then you should get it checked out asap.. if its just when you take a really deep breath then save it for your physical.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sound like cause for alarm?

Sure, why not. Alarm is free.

My guess is that you have what my Grannie used to call a "stitch", which means any unexplained pain in your torso after strenuous activity. Could be a pulled muscle, could be a heart attack. Could just be that pain you get when you drink water right after running. If you have any other symptoms, ratchet up the alarm and go see a doctor asap.

acommondisaster

Yeah, sounds like a stitch to me too.
Pancreatitis is so painful and has nothing to do with when you inhale/exhale. I agree with vrai - you're probably fine unless you have other symptoms along with this.

PeoplesElbow

Yeah, sounds like a stitch to me too.
Pancreatitis is so painful and has nothing to do with when you inhale/exhale. I agree with vrai - you're probably fine unless you have other symptoms along with this.

After having a kidney stone there isn't a whole lot that I consider painful, this rates maybe a 2 and that is only if I inhale as deeply as possible.

My dad always use to say "Getting old sucks" and "Golden years my ass"

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
After having a kidney stone there isn't a whole lot that I consider painful, this rates maybe a 2 and that is only if I inhale as deeply as possible.

How old are you?

mamatutu

mama to two

:lol: My mom used to say 'it is hell to get old'. We just got our pics back from my daughter's wedding. I said to my hub, gawd, I look old. He said, honey, you are not 18, anymore! :lol:

I have to be thankful, however, that my health is excellent. I think your rib ailment was due to just too vigorous of an activity.