Info on wireless outdoor camera

acommondisaster

So I was thinking how much fun it might be to put a wireless camera up at the cabin in PA. Not for any real security concerns, but just to kind of check up on things, if we wanted to (ie, what's the weather, is the house on fire, has a tree crashed into the house from the camera's area of vision, etc). With that in mind, here's what I'd like it to do:

Be available, remotely (from MD) on demand
Work through my internet/wireless router at the cabin.
Not cost a fortune, since I dont really want something that might seem valuable to thief, who might think it might be worth their while to have a look inside the house.
(there's not a lot of break-ins or crime, thanks to some vigilant security, but I don't want to invite trouble)
Nightvision would be awesome
possibly a sensor that would alert us that it was tripped

Is there such a thing? Anyone know of a particular brand? Am I crazy to think this might be accomplished via smartphone or remote desktop (I dont want to leave a computer up there)

FED_UP

So I was thinking how much fun it might be to put a wireless camera up at the cabin in PA. Not for any real security concerns, but just to kind of check up on things, if we wanted to (ie, what's the weather, is the house on fire, has a tree crashed into the house from the camera's area of vision, etc). With that in mind, here's what I'd like it to do:

Be available, remotely (from MD) on demand
Work through my internet/wireless router at the cabin.
Not cost a fortune, since I dont really want something that might seem valuable to thief, who might think it might be worth their while to have a look inside the house.
(there's not a lot of break-ins or crime, thanks to some vigilant security, but I don't want to invite trouble)
Nightvision would be awesome
possibly a sensor that would alert us that it was tripped

Is there such a thing? Anyone know of a particular brand? Am I crazy to think this might be accomplished via smartphone or remote desktop (I dont want to leave a computer up there)

I can view my camera VIA skype from my computer, had to install CD sw that came with the camera. Had to create a skype account for the camera and one for yourself. I have not used it yet though, I guess I should test it soon. So yes its possible. I am sure there are more ways than skype.

acommondisaster

yes, Amazon, or Ebay

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...s=wireless+camera&sprefix=wireless+ca,aps,132

'IP based' surveillance cameras do not need a 'computer' for connectivity

like anything, you get what you pay for .....

Yeah, I can (and did) read some of the stuff on Amazon. I'd prefer to know I'm getting personal experience (if someone has it) here from real people, not paid "reviewers", which is what a lot of the Amazon reviewers are. Thanks for the link, though.

acommondisaster

I can view my camera VIA skype from my computer, had to install CD sw that came with the camera. Had to create a skype account for the camera and one for yourself. I have not used it yet though, I guess I should test it soon. So yes its possible. I am sure there are more ways than skype.

Please do try it! I'd like to know how it works. I've seen a few people post pics here of UPS delivering stuff, etc....so I'm hoping to hear about the best applications.