Hunting Access Problems at Newtowne Neck State Park

Crow Bait

I would appreciate it if you would at least take a look at this petition about Newtowne Neck State Park (a 776 acre property near Leonardtown). It is a beautiful property that was open to hunting from 2009 until it was closed because of unexploded ordnance in 2012. It was all over the news at the time. This spring it was re-opened and land based hunting is no longer permitted... It has been opened to "Passive Activities" including Hiking, Bird Watching and Horseback Riding, but not hunting. The goal of this petition is to get land-based hunting access restored.

Please take a look, and please share.

http://www.change.org/p/maryland-pa...mall-game-turkeys-and-waterfowl-field-hunting

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I would appreciate it if you would at least take a look at this petition about Newtowne Neck State Park (a 776 acre property near Leonardtown). It is a beautiful property that was open to hunting from 2009 until it was closed because of unexploded ordnance in 2012. It was all over the news at the time. This spring it was re-opened and land based hunting is no longer permitted... It has been opened to "Passive Activities" including Hiking, Bird Watching and Horseback Riding, but not hunting. The goal of this petition is to get land-based hunting access restored.

Please take a look, and please share.

http://www.change.org/p/maryland-pa...mall-game-turkeys-and-waterfowl-field-hunting
Canoe in, use bow and arrow and they will never know. :yay:

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I am married to a hunter so I have no problem with hunting at all. I can see this as being a bad idea only because you are mixing those who want to hike, ride their horse, etc at the same time people want to hunt. It sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Midnightrider

Canoe in, use bow and arrow and they will never know. :yay:

otherwise known as poaching

I am married to a hunter so I have no problem with hunting at all. I can see this as being a bad idea only because you are mixing those who want to hike, ride their horse, etc at the same time people want to hunt. It sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

it happens at most of our state and federal parks without incident. there is no reason that hunters cant coexist with other activities.

limblips

PREMO Member
This brings to mind the issue 6-8 years ago with The Elms. What was once a great place to hunt was mostly closed off because of a very few people that convinced the powers to be that hunters were going to injure and kill kids at the Environmental Center. There was a woman behind the whole thing that publically blamed hunters for breakins, errant shots etc... All just to get her way. Absolutely no evidence to support her claims but she won.

Crow Bait

Sep 24, 2014 — We have collected over 120 supporters in less than 1 day! This is absolute proof that Hunters value access to quality public land, and will stand up to restore access when it is taken away. Every time someone signs the petition, the MD Parks Service receives an email asking for Hunter access to be restored at Newtowne Neck State Park. Hopefully we are clogging their inbox!

Our new Goal is 500 supporters.

Over the next few days, I will be sending more information about how you can help restore Hunting access to Newtowne Neck State Park. Today, you can continue helping by sharing this petition far and wide. Please Email this petition to your friends, share it on your facebook page, and post it on hunting and fishing message boards to spread the word. Help us hit our goal of 500 supporters.

Also, thanks to the following Organizations for sharing this Petition:

Maryland Waterfowler’s Association (http://www.mdwfa.org/ , https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maryland-Waterfowlers-Page/121867227863253)

Maryland Hunting Coalition (http://www.mdhuntingcoalition.org/ , https://www.facebook.com/MDHuntingCoalition)

Thanks for all of your support!
-Scott

TPD

the poor dad
The management of our state parks in St. Mary's County has a lot to be desired.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
otherwise known as poaching

it happens at most of our state and federal parks without incident. there is no reason that hunters cant coexist with other activities.

I don't hunt so I don't know of these other parks. So @ Newtowne is it segregated? The trails and what not for horseback riding, etc from the hunting? I can see some pretty pissed off hunters if someone is riding the trail and spooks some deer. Just curious as to how it would work. My cousin takes her horse down there on occasion when it was open. I tried to go down there, before it was closed the first time, just to look around. It doesn't seem very well marked as far as where the trails are or how to get down to the beach. Unless I just didn't know where to look.

Crow Bait

This is what they look like...

Newtowne Neck Sign.jpg

nutz

I can see some pretty pissed off hunters if someone is riding the trail and spooks some deer.

Really? That's the problem you foresee? ................If it's open to all, why is the rider in the wrong? St. Mary's has 8 other public hunting areas.

Crow Bait

Actually most hunters have no problem sharing with other uses, including the need to set up safety zones around certain features like parking areas, structures, etc. The closure to hunting completely as somehow incompatible with other uses is the issue here. Hunters don't want to cause an accident, and normally use these properties when few non-hunters are around (early mornings, cold months, etc.). There is just no reason to exclude hunting completely, when it can be balanced with other uses.

Also, the other hunting areas ARE open to other uses like Horseback riding, hiking, bird watching, etc. I can't think of a hunting accident in SoMD that involved a non-hunter when hunters and non-hunters were using the same area.

Actually, a friend who hunts St.Mary's River State Park told me a story from years ago about bagging his biggest buck shortly after a jogger ran through. The jogger did him a service!

Last edited:

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Really? That's the problem you foresee? ................If it's open to all, why is the rider in the wrong? St. Mary's has 8 other public hunting areas.

I never said the rider was in the wrong. Cut your sensitivity pill in half. If you read my posts, I'm concerned about both parties. I have a family member that has ridden there before and my husband is also an avid hunter so I have 2 dogs in this fight.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Actually most hunters have no problem sharing with other uses, including the need to set up safety zones around certain features like parking areas, structures, etc. The closure to hunting completely as somehow incompatible with other uses is the issue here. Hunters don't want to cause an accident, and normally use these properties when few non-hunters are around (early mornings, cold months, etc.). There is just no reason to exclude hunting completely, when it can be balanced with other uses.

Also, the other hunting areas ARE open to other uses like Horseback riding, hiking, bird watching, etc. I can't think of a hunting accident in SoMD that involved a non-hunter when hunters and non-hunters were using the same area.

Actually, a friend who hunts St.Mary's River State Park told me a story from years ago about bagging his biggest buck shortly after a jogger ran through. The jogger did him a service!

Did "they" ever say why is wasn't opened back up for hunting purposes?