Essential Oils

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
It seems anymore when I do a google search for an alternative or homeopathic option for something, essential oils are always brought up. Now I'm fine with this because my grandmother always seemed to use fresh or dried herbs (do we not do this anymore?) in home treatments and I see most of these oils are nothing but herbs - basil, peppermint, lavendar, etc.

But I know nothing about essential oils and I don't have a stockpile of them on hand.

Do any of you use essential oils? How do you know the oils you get are good quality? Where do you get the oils? And what oils would you recommend keeping on hand? And of course, any other pointers/advice would be welcome.

TIA.

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
It seems anymore when I do a google search for an alternative or homeopathic option for something, essential oils are always brought up. Now I'm fine with this because my grandmother always seemed to use fresh or dried herbs (do we not do this anymore?) in home treatments and I see most of these oils are nothing but herbs - basil, peppermint, lavendar, etc.

But I know nothing about essential oils and I don't have a stockpile of them on hand.

Do any of you use essential oils? How do you know the oils you get are good quality? Where do you get the oils? And what oils would you recommend keeping on hand? And of course, any other pointers/advice would be welcome.

TIA.

There is one oil we keep at home, it get hot when you blow on it. :hot:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Love them! Granmas cupboard in callaway had herb classes that covered a lot of neat material, I don't know if they are doing them anymore. The essential oils are just the oils collected frotm he herbs themselves and are concentrated. Dried herbs work as well. I always have a bottle of lemon oil on my desk..its great to put in water as a diuretic and to wake up a bit. I always have lavendar hanging around as well, great for settling my toddler down at bath/bed time (she asks for 'avender") I also keep peppermint for the humidifier at cold/flu season. makes everything smell great and helps with coughs and stuffed noses. It can also be used in a carrier oil of some kind to relieve headaches and fevers. I love patchuli and sandelwood for the smell and use a combo I made at the herb class for perfume sometimes and I made a "sniffer" there too with those and grapefruit oil i believe that acts as a calmer. I love using oils for things! My mom burns thieves oil in her oil diffuser to kill airborne germs as well. I am getting a diffuser soon for this purpose as well.

Most of our oils are doterra, a home based oil business but you can also search online. Food grade ones are available for ingesting..but we also buy cheaper versions for the ones we just burn in diffusers etc. The store in callaway is a great resource and you can even get a consult with their herbalist and go over your needs, your meds etc and she can help figure out a blend that would work for you

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Here's where I get my EOs:

http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com

I use them mostly to scent my bath oils and such because I'm not convinced that aromatherapy does anything more than smell good. Lavender, pepper/spearmint, and patchouli should get you started. I also have vitamin C (powder) and vitamin E oil that I add to my homemade skin care concoctions.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Here's where I get my EOs:

http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com

I use them mostly to scent my bath oils and such because I'm not convinced that aromatherapy does anything more than smell good. Lavender, pepper/spearmint, and patchouli should get you started. I also have vitamin C (powder) and vitamin E oil that I add to my homemade skin care concoctions.

a lot of modern medications ar ebased on herbs. For instance valerian is chemically very similar to valium and they work much the same way. valerian has been used for anxiety and insomnia for hundreds of years.

livewire

to MIGTIG-----my family used nothing but these. we get them from a company based in Utah called Young Living. email me at jdmancave@hotmail if you are interested and i will give you her contact information.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Love them!
Thanks bunches. I totally forgot about Grandmas Cupboard and appreciate all your recommendations.

Thanks. I'm at a particular junction in my life that I feel I can try anything.

to MIGTIG-----my family used nothing but these. we get them from a company based in Utah called Young Living. email me at jdmancave@hotmail if you are interested and i will give you her contact information.

Too weird, I was just on their website. Thanks!

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
Wife just got into them from my daughter, I call them VooDoo ;-)))) Gte lavender splashed on my pillow every night...

goughrmak

We use esential oils ALL of the time. When we feel like we are getting sick, there is a certain oil protocal that my wife puts us on, and it almost always kicks it quickly. We have a friend that we were at the beach with a few weeks ago, and he was feeling like he had a major head cold. DW put him on an oil regimine for the day, and the next day, he was about 90% back to normal. I used to call them VOODOO as well, but I have seen the effects, and I LOVE them. The herbalist at Grandmas Cupboard can help you with oils or herbs. She is fantastic!!

God created all of this stuff for us to use. I am NOT a fan of modern medicine, and my oils and herbs work great as long as I recognize I need them before it's too far gone.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant

Yes. I wound up ordering from Young Living, malice's suggested Edens Garden, and from my cousin's suggestion Journey Layne in TX http://www.journeyeo.com/ I figured this would 1) give me an opportunity to do my own sniff test and 2) provide me with a larger start up supply.

I figure if nothing else this gives me a great new hobby. :lmao: I'm taking an online Young Living "the oily pet" seminar tonight - so I'll get to experiment with my dogs first. LOL The shame of it is, as of last night nothing had arrived yet. Hope I have something today.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I've been using essential oils for many years to make my own bug repellent for people and animals, esp. the horses. In an average year, I would spend approx. $250 in oils to make the various blends. If I had time I'd love to make soaps, etc. things with the oils. I don't have time, so a buy those items from a local lady who is very knowledgeable. The shop is in LaPlata just down the road from the Courthouse:

http://www.newmoonbody.com/

Speaking of, it's time for me to place another order (I usually order online and get it shipped). I love this stuff for my face - it totally helps make your face look and feel younger. I usually buy several bottles at a time.

http://www.newmoonbody.com/product/facial-nourishment-dry-skin-formula/

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Yes. I wound up ordering from Young Living, malice's suggested Edens Garden, and from my cousin's suggestion Journey Layne in TX http://www.journeyeo.com/ I figured this would 1) give me an opportunity to do my own sniff test and 2) provide me with a larger start up supply.

I figure if nothing else this gives me a great new hobby. :lmao: I'm taking an online Young Living "the oily pet" seminar tonight - so I'll get to experiment with my dogs first. LOL The shame of it is, as of last night nothing had arrived yet. Hope I have something today.

Exciting! You're going to love Edens Garden, and the brochures and information you get with it.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I've been using essential oils for many years to make my own bug repellent for people and animals, esp. the horses. In an average year, I would spend approx. $250 in oils to make the various blends. If I had time I'd love to make soaps, etc. things with the oils. I don't have time, so a buy those items from a local lady who is very knowledgeable. The shop is in LaPlata just down the road from the Courthouse:

http://www.newmoonbody.com/

Speaking of, it's time for me to place another order (I usually order online and get it shipped). I love this stuff for my face - it totally helps make your face look and feel younger. I usually buy several bottles at a time.

http://www.newmoonbody.com/product/facial-nourishment-dry-skin-formula/

Thanks Ark. I'll keep this place in my list as well. We'll need to start sharing oil recipes next I think. What do you use for bug repellent?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Thanks Ark. I'll keep this place in my list as well. We'll need to start sharing oil recipes next I think. What do you use for bug repellent?

So, did you ever get my pm? I need your phone number. I lost it when I had to reset my phone.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
So, did you ever get my pm? I need your phone number. I lost it when I had to reset my phone.

Do you know that I never see that PM thing anymore on the current layout with my tablet and didn't even notice I had messages? Sorry.