Crazy axe design makes chopping wood easy

limblips

PREMO Member
Trying to ID the wood. Very straight grained, very white, bark on some looks like poplar, some like birch. Also, looking at the snow, I would venture the wood is frozen. Growing up in the Adirondacks and heating with wood, I know most wood splits easier if frozen.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Love Red Oak .... :whistle:

but that stuff sounds well seasoned, and frozen

leave it to the Fin's to invent a better ax

$ 215 :faint:

Last edited:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Lodgepole pine splits real easy. Yellowstone National Park has tons of them just lying all over the place. Those things are what end up fueling all the wildfires out there.

The use of the tire could cause a severe injury. 1 misplaced shot and the axe could come flying back at the chopper's forehead.

PeoplesElbow

Trying to ID the wood. Very straight grained, very white, bark on some looks like poplar, some like birch. Also, looking at the snow, I would venture the wood is frozen. Growing up in the Adirondacks and heating with wood, I know most wood splits easier if frozen.

They have a lot of birch and beech over there.

Never knew wood split easier when frozen, there was no way I was going to chop wood when it was that cold outside, did most of it in the summer. My dad was too cheap to buy a maul or a splitting wedge, I used a sledge and a couple rail road spikes.

limblips

PREMO Member
Lodgepole pine splits real easy. Yellowstone National Park has tons of them just lying all over the place. Those things are what end up fueling all the wildfires out there.

True, but pine makes for lousy heating wood. Burns very fast, pops a lot, and creosotes up the chimney badly over time. Good in an outdoor fire pit/chimnea but watch out for flying embers!

Vince

They have a lot of birch and beech over there.

Never knew wood split easier when frozen, there was no way I was going to chop wood when it was that cold outside, did most of it in the summer. My dad was too cheap to buy a maul or a splitting wedge, I used a sledge and a couple rail road spikes.
Definitely. Had a lot of Gum on the property. Gum balls suck so I cut them down. I was burning a wood stove back then and gum does not split easy with a sledge, wedge and maul. But you let it freeze and viola, it'll split.