Lusby Monterey closed, guilty of violating Fair Labor Standa

pemlee

Civil Action No DKC 13-3792

Owners, managers guilty of violating Fair Labor Act by not paying employees.

Chris0nllyn

The plaintiffs were employees of Defendant Monterey of Lusby, d/b/a as Monterey Mexican Restaurant in Lusby, Maryland. Campechano Ruiz alleged that he was a cook from June 2010 to June 6, 2013 who customarily worked sixty-eight (68) hours per week. For the entirety of his employment he was paid a weekly salary, regardless of the number of hours worked. He was not paid overtime for hours worked over forty, and from December 15, 2010 to June 1, 2012, his regular rate was less than the $7.25 per hour minimum wage.

Carlos Ruiz was a waiter who worked roughly fifty-nine (59) hours per week. From November 1, 2012 to August 20, 2013, the defendants did not pay him any wages; he only received tips. From August 20, 2013 to November 20, 2013, Defendants paid him $3.63 per hour for the first forty hours per week worked, but nothing for any hours worked beyond forty, including overtime.

http://www.calvertlive.com/monterey-closes-for-violations-of-flsa/

mamatutu

mama to two
I'm sure you're being sarcastic, but it brings up a point....

Can an illegal immigrant file a FLSA suit?

I was wondering the same thing when I read this article about an illegal immigrant suing his rescuers. And he says he needs to the money to pay his bills. :confused:....

"The reasoning for the lawsuit? Ortiz claims the rescuers were negligent in their duties and should have extracted him from his upside down car quicker than they did.

Ortiz said, “Well, I’m happy. I’m really happy to be alive…But I’m looking for some help with my bills. I don’t have the money to pay.”

Ortiz is seeking $500,000 in damages, claiming his shoulder was injured in the incident."

http://conservativetribune.com/illegal-sues-responders-who-saved-him-from-drowning/

BernieP

Resident PIA
I'm sure you're being sarcastic, but it brings up a point....

Can an illegal immigrant file a FLSA suit?

I'm sure they can, then both parties should share a cell in a federal prison. After which the complaintaint would earn a one way trip back to the mutha land.
Typically the reason "illegals" are employed is that they don't file suit. So unless I missed something, both complaints came from LEGAL residents (if not citizens).
Just because their name is Campechano Ruiz and Carlos Ruiz AND they worked at a "Mexican" resturaunt does not mean they are here illegally.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I'm sure they can, then both parties should share a cell in a federal prison. After which the complaintaint would earn a one way trip back to the mutha land.
Typically the reason "illegals" are employed is that they don't file suit. So unless I missed something, both complaints came from LEGAL residents (if not citizens).
Just because their name is Campechano Ruiz and Carlos Ruiz AND they worked at a "Mexican" resturaunt does not mean they are here illegally.

Sadly, too many people think a person is illegal based on a name or accent. It's also sad that many times they are right.

laynpipe

I may have missed it, but I didn't see anywhere in the article about Monterey that says the complainants are illegal. Are you assuming that because they are Hispanic they are illegal ? Or do you know this to be fact ?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I may have missed it, but I didn't see anywhere in the article about Monterey that says the complainants are illegal. Are you assuming that because they are Hispanic they are illegal ? Or do you know this to be fact ?

I think that's just the direction the thread took. I don't really see where anyone implied/said they were illegals, outside of what I took as just a smart-ass remark or two.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Sadly, too many people think a person is illegal based on a name or accent. It's also sad that many times they are right.

Can you tell the difference between a Cuban or Puerto Rican vice Central American or Mexican accent - I mean they all have that spanish surname thing goiong too.
Problem is, Puerto Ricans are US citizens and there are a lot of immigrants from Cuba that are here legally.

Now, if you saw someone working for cash, with a problem speaking english and working for below standard wages for the job they are doing, THEN you have a reason to believe they are illegal.
Like I said, since they filed a complaint, I somehow doubt they would be illegal - or they have a really dumb lawyer.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Can you tell the difference between a Cuban or Puerto Rican vice Central American or Mexican accent - I mean they all have that spanish surname thing goiong too.
Problem is, Puerto Ricans are US citizens and there are a lot of immigrants from Cuba that are here legally.

Now, if you saw someone working for cash, with a problem speaking english and working for below standard wages for the job they are doing, THEN you have a reason to believe they are illegal.
Like I said, since they filed a complaint, I somehow doubt they would be illegal - or they have a really dumb lawyer.

No, I can't tell where there from, or if they're legals, or not. I like to assume they are legal. It doesn't really matter, though. They're here. They're not going anywhere. Some of them are good, some of them, not so good. Being here legally doesn't guarantee that they are not criminals, and being here illegally doesn't mean they're going to break into your house and rape your daughters.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Ouch. I'm curious about the closure though. I don't recall the last time that those kind of (sadly, fairly routine in that kind of business) labor violations resulted in the closure of a business by authorities. It usually ends up being a lot of fines. Maybe the fines were enough to prompt them to close?..

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Ouch. I'm curious about the closure though. I don't recall the last time that those kind of (sadly, fairly routine in that kind of business) labor violations resulted in the closure of a business by authorities. It usually ends up being a lot of fines. Maybe the fines were enough to prompt them to close?..

maybe the owners fled back across the border

GregV814

screw all ofdat...cross the street and get some of Maryland's finest chicken at Fastop....I dont know how they do it but its GREAT!!!!!!!