Dominion Cove Point ready to roll

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Watch heads explode in 3....2......1.

Personally, I never saw how reversing the direction of product flow really changed much of anything. I've wondered if the now-deactivated Piney Point oil terminal would have life again if their product categories could be exported. That used to be a "major" employer in the area.

Midnightrider

If it is where I think it is...and now that I look, it is not...

My bad. I was thinking of Piney Point....

yeah, to the casual observer there shouldn't be anything to notice over at Cove Point LNG. I think the only difference the neighbors will notice is the construction traffic.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If it is where I think it is...and now that I look, it is not...

My bad. I was thinking of Piney Point....

The Piney Point terminal is huge, by comparison. But it was recently shut down. Now we just wonder what happens to 450 acres of storage tanks, pumping stations, loading/unloading terminal, etc....?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The Piney Point terminal is huge, by comparison. But it was recently shut down. Now we just wonder what happens to 450 acres of storage tanks, pumping stations, loading/unloading terminal, etc....?

Spend some tax dollars cleaning it up (shovel ready jobs) get some dough for scrap and then have some premo real estate to sell to recoup the clean up costs. :shrug:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Spend some tax dollars cleaning it up (shovel ready jobs) get some dough for scrap and then have some premo real estate to sell to recoup the clean up costs. :shrug:

Premo real estate is right..and not just what is owned by NuStar. The pipelines to the loading terminal severely restrict vessel access to the inland waters just north of Piney Point proper. Removing that pipeline would open up a whole bunch of waterfront property to boat access; instant jump in value.

The county has already acquired a fair amount of the former terminal facilities out on the end of Lighthouse Road, allowing for the expansion of the museum and other stuff. The Stewart family sold other parcels to private individuals when they divested themselves of the entire facility. Maybe the state or county could end up with a chunk of the remaining 450 acres.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
Personally, I never saw how reversing the direction of product flow really changed much of anything. I've wondered if the now-deactivated Piney Point oil terminal would have life again if their product categories could be exported. That used to be a "major" employer in the area.

Friend just got back from an Amtrak trip out west, he said if you ever go don't plan things around the trains published schedule because OIL freight rules the road. They would have to wait while TANKER trains carrying oil would get right of way. even wheat etc would have to standby , it's all about oil...

So, would be great to get these OIL pipelines rolling again too, export for us, get some money to help economy.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Friend just got back from an Amtrak trip out west, he said if you ever go don't plan things around the trains published schedule because OIL freight rules the road. They would have to wait while TANKER trains carrying oil would get right of way. even wheat etc would have to standby , it's all about oil...

So, would be great to get these OIL pipelines rolling again too, export for us, get some money to help economy.

A couple of the shipyards we work with are enjoying a real boom in the production of inland and coastal petroleum product tankers and, especially, barges. Operators like Crowley can't seem to get enough of them on the water to keep up with demand.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Premo real estate is right..and not just what is owned by NuStar. The pipelines to the loading terminal severely restrict vessel access to the inland waters just north of Piney Point proper. Removing that pipeline would open up a whole bunch of waterfront property to boat access; instant jump in value.

Plus don't forget the airfield.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB

Massive brownfields clean up would be a hindrance. That would keep the value of the property down.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Things are really moving smartly out in the LNG sector. This announcement is for a new vessel refueling facility to be built. The latest developments in green marine ship designs involve using NG as their fuel. LNG tankers have been doing that for a long time, but only recently has NG become more practical for other vessel types. The first NG-fueled high speed ferry was recently launched...in Autralia.

http://www.marinelink.com/news/liquefaction-louisiana378236.aspx

intertidal

Its not as simple as "reversing the direction", as you know. If it was so simple, it would take far less time than their 3.5 year construction estimate. They have to build a refinery to remove the impurities from the raw fracked gas - some of which will be trucked out by near constant truck traffic through a residential neighborhood. A new on-site 130 MW power plant will be built to power the compressors necessary to turn the gas to liquid at -260 degrees. The liquefaction train will be the first in the world to be built so close to a residential neighborhood.