Common Core math problem with easy solution

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Holy hell, how do they expect kids to grasp this concept? Dumb is the new smart.

common-core-math-problem.jpg

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
OK, well, conceptually, I get this. Instead of rote, core seems to be more broadly conceptual.

10 has nothing to do with adding 8 & 5. It's foolish to add some creative concept that will only serve to confuse kids trying to learn new concepts.

It that is the case then they could have said 9, or 11 or even 12.

It's 1 math equation. Now they are trying to make them perform 3 solutions. 2 to achieve 10 - ((5-3 = 2), (8 + 2 = 10)), and this to get to 13 (10 + 3 = 13)

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
My youngest has struggled with Math ever since they introduced Common Core. Whenever I try to teach him the "easy" way of solving a problem, he says he can't do it that way because it's not the way they taught it. Teachers will take points off for not doing it "their" way even though he got the right answer.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
10 has nothing to do with adding 8 & 5. It's foolish to add some creative concept that will only serve to confuse kids trying to learn new concepts.

It that is the case then they could have said 9, or 11 or even 12.

It's 1 math equation. Now they are trying to make them perform 3 solutions. 2 to achieve 10 - ((5-3 = 2), (8 + 2 = 10)), and this to get to 13 (10 + 3 = 13)

Hey, I am an AWFUL teacher. That said, real world, a kid has $8 saved and has $5 coming, wants to buy a $10 game, how do you get 10 while having 8 + 5? I get it. I used to HATE the by rote method of teaching and always did better when it was given some applicability. Not that the problem you showed does that but, I 'get' it, what it seems they're trying to do. :shrug:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
All of the parents, or at least the majority, should remove their children from school (home school), and tell them to call when they've removed common core. I bet common core would go away pretty quick if they weren't getting the quota monies.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
more to your direct comment ..
... No CPS does not currently remove children for home schooling ....

right now Home schooling is some what of a anomaly meaning the numbers are still low ...
- you can bet your last dollar, if there was suddenly a mass migration of parents removing children from school, there would suddenly be some precedent for requiring the state educate your children

we cannot have school boards and teachers UNIONS losing power like that

However, that same – unidentified – caseworker, also told the court, “Nobody in their right mind would want to stay home all day with so many children,” and the court then required parenting classes and a psychological exam for Mrs. Tutt.

The Christian News report said, “Despite the fact that Mrs. Tutt showed CPS workers numerous parenting class certificates and paperwork certifying her mental health, a local judge ordered the Tutts’ seven children to be removed from the home.”

The coalition reported the Tutts were told the children were not “properly educated” and were being “brainwashed” by their parents.

Tim Lambert, president of the coalition, told the News how one of the meetings with social workers, a judge and the parents went:

“The hearing quickly devolved into a relentless attack on this family’s religious beliefs, community service, and right to homeschool their children … CPS attorneys berated Mrs. Tutt for not using a ‘state-certified home school curriculum,’ in spite of the fact that there is no such thing in Texas. The guardian ad litem denigrated her for not submitting documentation of her homeschooling to the state on a regular basis, including state-mandated tests. This, of course, is not only not required, but there is no way for someone to do so in Texas.”

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2014/01/texas-family-battles-judge-over-homeschooling/#4UVRcflpuPXe2koV.99

mAlice

professional daydreamer
At some point, parents have to start pushing back. If they don't, they may as well let CPS have their children.

more to your direct comment ..
... No CPS does not currently remove children for home schooling ....

right now Home schooling is some what of a anomaly meaning the numbers are still low ...
- you can bet your last dollar, if there was suddenly a mass migration of parents removing children from school, there would suddenly be some precedent for requiring the state educate your children

we cannot have school boards and teachers UNIONS losing power like that

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
At some point, parents have to start pushing back. If they don't, they may as well let CPS have their children.

I agree, but IMHO, many will freak and cave rather than be labeled something 'evil' which is exactly what progressives are good at

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Kids seem to be having a hard enough time mastering 8+5=13. I'm not sure at what age they're introducing creative math and it's hard to tell based on the kid's handwriting since they no longer teach penmanship - that kid could be 27 - but it seems to me they should worry about the basics before they start getting into the abstract.

Regardless, mAlice is correct that parents need to be raising hell about this nonsense. I mean, they're not going to but they should.

somdfunguy

not impressed
Hey, I am an AWFUL teacher. That said, real world, a kid has $8 saved and has $5 coming, wants to buy a $10 game, how do you get 10 while having 8 + 5? I get it. I used to HATE the by rote method of teaching and always did better when it was given some applicability. Not that the problem you showed does that but, I 'get' it, what it seems they're trying to do. :shrug:

Same here, and I usually perform math in 10s to quickly find the answer. I don't ever remember being taught this but it was something I learned making change I gather.

SG_Player1974

This whole common core math and the way they approach it reminds me of those infomercials about the guy who was selling books and videos to show you how to do immediate calculations in your head of very complex problems. I remember on the commercials they would ask someone "What is 571 x 465?" and the person would spit out the answer almost immediately.

Like I said before. I guess over 200 years of proven effectiveness is not good enough for our kids today!

SamSpade

It's based on the shortcut idea that it is easier to add 3 to 10 than to add 5 to 8. I don't see why this should be TAUGHT as the way to do math. The way we learned addition is, you memorize them all. It becomes no "easier" to add 10 and 7 than to add 8 and 9. It's all the same.

The idea is like this : quick, add 98 and 137. Real fast. Did you do what a lot of people do? You didn't stack the numbers up and add them the way you usually add. You probably thought "98 is close to 100, so I will subtract 2 from 37 and add 35 to 100".

That's how you do math AFTER you know how to do it right in the first place. And you only do it for numbers close to some big whole number, such as numbers within 20 digits from 100 or 200. And you wouldn't do it for really large numbers. It's shorthand arithmetic, and you master it when you do things like make change.

You do NOT *teach* math this way.

I can show you shortcuts for doing square and cube roots of a number close to the square or cube of another number. But I wouldn't dream of explaining the concept with the shortcut until you knew how to do it.

And telling the kid he's WRONG is beyond stupid.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
parents are distracted working long hours in multiple jobs ...

Well, now they have to squeeze something else into their busy calendar, because there will be classes for the parents on Common Core.