Any PAX River old timers?

CrashTest

No doubt. I can't believe they had a need for a bridge way down there in the 40's. A 1943 base map hanging in bldg. 505 shows the road around the west side of the base ended where TPS is now located.

Goldenhawk

This page from the March 29th 1990 edition of the Daily Gazette newspaper:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...3UhAAAAIBAJ&sjid=AokFAAAAIBAJ&pg=3000,6993579
says the timber trestle is 2460 feet long and was built in 1952.

Other research shows that the Benedict Bridge (Rt. 231) was definitely built in 1952. I wonder if that may have influenced the writer of the article who might possibly have mixed up the two bridges. I find it easier to believe that the Harper's Creek bridge would have been built when the base was built, in the later part of the 1940s.

GopherM

Darwin was right
No doubt. I can't believe they had a need for a bridge way down there in the 40's. A 1943 base map hanging in bldg. 505 shows the road around the west side of the base ended where TPS is now located.

The bridge was probably needed to provide a patrol perimeter road around the base for security reasons.

RPMDAD

I can say this, i worked at PAX from about 1979 to 1989 and the bridge was there then.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
The bridge was there in the late 50s, have family snap-shots of us kids swimming around the bridge back when my Dad served one of his tours at Pax. There has to be a station historian that would have the info.

BlueOx77

This page from the March 29th 1990 edition of the Daily Gazette newspaper:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...3UhAAAAIBAJ&sjid=AokFAAAAIBAJ&pg=3000,6993579
says the timber trestle is 2460 feet long and was built in 1952.

Other research shows that the Benedict Bridge (Rt. 231) was definitely built in 1952. I wonder if that may have influenced the writer of the article who might possibly have mixed up the two bridges. I find it easier to believe that the Harper's Creek bridge would have been built when the base was built, in the later part of the 1940s.

The Benedict bridge was already open and dedicated on Dec. 1, 1950, originally opened as a toll bridge. Patuxent River Naval Air Station was constructed in 1942 and commissioned on April 1, 1943.