County parks

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
The park has a sign that says no skateboards, no roller blades, no unleashed pets, no tree climbing. There's a jungle gym, several soccer fields, a few baseball diamonds and tennis courts. Many people go to the park and power walk or just push strollers around the parking lot. The park is county owned and I'm sure tax payer funded.

Someone chooses to do a slightly different activity there. Say going to 1 of the green areas between the playing fields and decide to play with a Frisbee. A park employee (wearing an official P&R shirt) tells them that activity isn't allowed in the park. There is no sign saying not to do this. The employee says it's "the rule". The offender politely asks what harm are they causing to anyone by what they are doing. Park guys says we got to follow the rules. Again a slightly different question was posed as to how this activity is harmful to anyone else. Still no good answer but some lame excuse.

So do you keep playing or move on to somewhere else?

Bonehead

The park has a sign that says no skateboards, no roller blades, no unleashed pets, no tree climbing. There's a jungle gym, several soccer fields, a few baseball diamonds and tennis courts. Many people go to the park and power walk or just push strollers around the parking lot. The park is county owned and I'm sure tax payer funded.

Someone chooses to do a slightly different activity there. Say going to 1 of the green areas between the playing fields and decide to play with a Frisbee. A park employee (wearing an official P&R shirt) tells them that activity isn't allowed in the park. There is no sign saying not to do this. The employee says it's "the rule". The offender politely asks what harm are they causing to anyone by what they are doing. Park guys says we got to follow the rules. Again a slightly different question was posed as to how this activity is harmful to anyone else. Still no good answer but some lame excuse.

Send an e mail to the P&R supervisor I have found them to be responsive when I had an issue with the Great Mills pool.

TPD

the poor dad

Because of all the beheadings and stuff, frisbees are no longer politically correct. Not even sure they can be advertised on tv anymore - FCC thing.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Because of all the beheadings and stuff, frisbees are no longer politically correct. Not even sure they can be advertised on tv anymore - FCC thing.

:lmao:

To answer the OP's question, you tell them to #### off in no uncertain terms and continue to fling the disk.

FollowTheMoney

(wearing an official P&R shirt)
Power tripper. Getting high on the power man. In instances such as these, it is entirely appropriate to demand from "properly attired power tripper representing P&R" to see the written, published, rules. Absent those written rules, one can proceed with their activity. If the law is called in, "properly attired power tripper representing P&R" must still produce those written, published, rules. You can push to the degree you are comfortable with. If a "rule" appears arbitrary and seems to be pulled out of "properly attired power tripper representing P&R" ass, then most likely it is. Challenge, challenge, challenge. What's the worse that can happen? You are asked to leave, or conform, by the law man?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Power tripper. Getting high on the power man. In instances such as these, it is entirely appropriate to demand from "properly attired power tripper representing P&R" to see the written, published, rules. Absent those written rules, one can proceed with their activity. If the law is called in, "properly attired power tripper representing P&R" must still produce those written, published, rules. You can push to the degree you are comfortable with. If a "rule" appears arbitrary and seems to be pulled out of "properly attired power tripper representing P&R" ass, then most likely it is. Challenge, challenge, challenge. What's the worse that can happen? You are asked to leave, or conform, by the law man?

This is an interesting take. I was the 1 involved and I tried my best to appeal to his common sense. I realize that employees have jobs to do but let's be realistic. I wonder if flying a kite would have also gotten the same response.

So do I go back and do it again tomorrow or save myself the grief and find a new spot?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
:lmao:

To answer the OP's question, you tell them to #### off in no uncertain terms and continue to fling the disk.

Some people care to make a large production, complete with police involvement, and some wouldn't consider that worth their time or hassle.

Yes, it's completely stupid - but it's a stupid world out there. Is that a hill you want to die on?

nutz

I realize that employees have jobs to do but let's be realistic. I wonder if flying a kite would have also gotten the same response.

So do I go back and do it again tomorrow or save myself the grief and find a new spot?

The person may very well believe they are doing their assigned duty. A phone call or email wouldn't hurt before you make a decision.

David Guyther, Parks Division Manager 301-863-8400 ext. 3571 david.guyther@stmarysmd.com

rdytogo

What park was this?

Homeland

Is this a hypothetical situation or did it really happen?

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, do go back, but only after making that call. Dont take a knife to a gunfight, and let the other guy think it's a knife fight right up til you clear leather.

"Well, it's against the rule!!!!"

"What rule?"

"Why Section 10, Para 5, 'Sh$% you can do in the parks'"

"Well, thats funny, I have a copy of Section 10 right here, and it only goes to Para 4", so have a nice day"

Or "Thats funny, here call your boss, he told me you are an idiot"

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
There is a frisbee golf course just a tad south of gate 2 on R235. It hardly ever gets used.

awpitt

Main Streeter
There is a frisbee golf course just a tad south of gate 2 on R235. It hardly ever gets used.

Actually, it gets used quite a bit. At least everytime I walk or ride bikes through that area, there have always been people playing frisbee golf.

SG_Player1974

Funny thing to me is that I am at public parks several times a week, year 'round, for young ones activities and I have NEVER seen a P&R employee (at least uniformed):shrug:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Have him show it to you in writing, if it's not in writing it's opinion not a rule.

Chris0nllyn

Record, record, record!

Whip out your phone and ask the person to tell you again that you can't do something not expressly prohibited.

Hannibal

This is an easy answer (though I am not saying I agree with it). The County invests a TON of money actually in the construction and maintenance of these fields. They are purpose built for the sport and use it is intended for. With that, and oddly enough, they spend a stupid amount of time determining how often the field will get used and when (seasonally). Based upon this, they determine what seed to use and the care schedule it is to receive. The end result (or expectation) is that these purpose built fields are only to be used for their purpose and upon the approved schedule of the County. They are there to host County sponsored sports such as little league baseball or soccer games and that is it.

Do I think the occasional use of the field would have an impact? No. Can I understand their apprehension in allowing full use to the public whenever they want? If I am in charge of that field (and am paying for it) - I can see this point of view.

Bottom line, if the field experiences overuse and it creates damage - either through physical destruction (tearing up the turf) or due to not being able to maintain it as needed (overseeding, areation, fertilization, herbicide, etc.) due to use by the general public, it will not be available for its intended purpose.

With that in mind - I don't see why they don't simply have a general use field (an open area) or at least have a permit system in effect to use a purpose built field for a particular occasion.

SG_Player1974

This is an easy answer (though I am not saying I agree with it). The County invests a TON of money actually in the construction and maintenance of these fields. They are purpose built for the sport and use it is intended for. With that, and oddly enough, they spend a stupid amount of time determining how often the field will get used and when (seasonally). Based upon this, they determine what seed to use and the care schedule it is to receive. The end result (or expectation) is that these purpose built fields are only to be used for their purpose and upon the approved schedule of the County. They are there to host County sponsored sports such as little league baseball or soccer games and that is it.

Do I think the occasional use of the field would have an impact? No. Can I understand their apprehension in allowing full use to the public whenever they want? If I am in charge of that field (and am paying for it) - I can see this point of view.

Bottom line, if the field experiences overuse and it creates damage - either through physical destruction (tearing up the turf) or due to not being able to maintain it as needed (overseeding, areation, fertilization, herbicide, etc.) due to use by the general public, it will not be available for its intended purpose.

With that in mind - I don't see why they don't simply have a general use field (an open area) or at least have a permit system in effect to use a purpose built field for a particular occasion.

Interesting point however, I was always under the impression that it was MY tax dollars that built and maintained those fields. Why should I contribute to them if I do not get to use them?

Kinda like the mortgage lender coming into your house and telling you that you cannot crap in the upstairs bathroom during daylight hours.

Hannibal

Interesting point however, I was always under the impression that it was MY tax dollars that built and maintained those fields. Why should I contribute to them if I do not get to use them?

Kinda like the mortgage lender coming into your house and telling you that you cannot crap in the upstairs bathroom during daylight hours.

The same statement with regards to taxes can be applied in NUMEROUS ways. Some of the interesting discussions of taxes:

- I pay Federal taxes which pay into the military funding yet I don't get to play with the F-18's or go fishing off the destroyers.
- I pay State taxes yet I can't use a State Trooper to patrol a party I am hosting as security.
- I pay local taxes yet I have to pay for a permit to use a gazebo for a birthday party at the local park.

The world is full of these examples unfortunately. One of the gripes I use to hear about was why people have to pay for Public Schools when their kids go to private (or they have no kids at all). I wish it was selective (like cigerettes / gas) across the board.

I always wonder why I pay taxes (Fed/State/Local, etc) yet get a bill if I call 911 for an ambulance. If the ambulance service in my area is privatized, so be it. But shouldn't I be discounted on the other end? I am sure its a terribly small amount but just the same............

Last edited: