Obama Cartoon

mudpuddle

I really don't understand stereotyping anymore. After all, a fact is a fact, or something like that...
Watermelon is a universal food--to those that have access to it, that is...
White people eat watermelon, Mexicans eat watermelon, Chinese eat watermelon, Japanese eat watermelon, lots of other people eat watermelon.
But when Black people eat watermelon, it is considered as racist. In this day and age, why must the black people still get offended? It is 2014. Can't some things be left behind, and not constantly being thrown back into one's face? You can't even mention a watermelon in a cartoon? I could say that white people like to eat pizza. Or that the majority of whites like to eat pizza, who cares? I don't care if Black people like to eat watermelons. I don't think the world should care who eats watermelons. It, by no means, should be controversial. Are eating grapes controversial?
I think the world has to get over stereotyping people, as hard as this might be....we are not defined by what we eat. This madness has got to stop. The past is the past, and the world should move on...there should be nothing racist about eating a watermelon. Please Black people, let it go. I don't know how, when, or why watermelon became associated with the black people to begin with, may be someone out there can educate me...but I guess it was way before I was born... And for all of you out there, watermelons are innocent and don't deserve a bad rap!

From the Boston Herald:

By3nIH-IQAEiF3q.jpg

musiclady

So, Colgate makes Watermelon flavored toothpaste. Is that supposed to be racist? So in order to NOT be racist, we are being forced to constantly think about race connotations. Isn't that kinda racist as well? When I saw the cartoon, I didn't even realize the "racist" connection. It could have been any flavor of toothpaste. I had to look again to see what the fuss was about. Now if they didn't sell a toothpaste in that flavor I guess you could assume a racism joke. But does this mean that Colgate is racist because they make that flavor of toothpaste?

Grumpy

The way things are going, any mention of burgundy and gold together will be considered racist since the powers-that-be assume people will automatically think of the Redskins.

SG_Player1974

The way things are going, any mention of burgundy and gold together will be considered racist since the powers-that-be assume people will automatically think of the Redskins.

Funny.... when I think of the words Burgundy and Gold... first thing that pops into my head is "Last Place!" :drummer:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The cartoonist used "watermelon" in a racial context, don't try and act all innocent. That's a well-known stereotype and racial insult that everyone is familiar with.

SG_Player1974

Well, Im a CRACKER! I like to eat CRACKERS..... therefore...

If I see any news forum, newspaper, article, editorial, etc. refer to a cracker eating a cracker or any reference to crackers then I guess I have the right to be offended!!!

Oh..... wait....... I'm WHITE! There is no way I can be the victim of racism or racist propoganda :sarcasm:

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
So we can't be offended and no one complians about the new ABC show "Black'ish"? I bet if there were a show called "White'ish" all hell would break loose....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So we can't be offended and no one complians about the new ABC show "Black'ish"? I bet if there were a show called "White'ish" all hell would break loose....

Now see, I love the premise of that show. A well to do black family dealing with racial identity from both sides of the ethnic aisle - it's topical and enlightening, very American.

Whites don't have a racial identity that I'm aware of.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I watched that show last night for the first time and liked it. Back in the day we had the Huxtables. This is a new twist is the way I see it.

Way before that was Archie Bunker. That would NEVER make airwaves today.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Now see, I love the premise of that show. A well to do black family dealing with racial identity from both sides of the ethnic aisle - it's topical and enlightening, very American.

Whites don't have a racial identity that I'm aware of.

I watched it too and thought it was funny. I love comedies as whole. Maybe I'm bored at work and just wanted to keep feeding the post by antagonizing...quiet me is "guilty" :)

mudpuddle

Glad someone said it.

this is why we need to stop stereotyping people and things...and to let go of past stereotypes...start off with a clean slate.
It's time we unite with each other and try to move on. This will take decades I'm sure! But it has to stop now!

mudpuddle

Well, Im a CRACKER! I like to eat CRACKERS..... therefore...

If I see any news forum, newspaper, article, editorial, etc. refer to a cracker eating a cracker or any reference to crackers then I guess I have the right to be offended!!!

Oh..... wait....... I'm WHITE! There is no way I can be the victim of racism or racist propoganda :sarcasm:

Yes, you are 100% right!!! Racism only exists for black people. No matter what the world does, I don't think the blacks will ever let it go and move on...I think Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are notorious for this! They always throw fuel on the fire, instead of trying to put it out! I think some people feed on racism...may be a lot of people. They have nothing better to do, or they want attention....
do whites ever call out racism? I can't think of anytime when a white person screamed racism at black's . Can you think of any times? I mean white people banding together and crying "foul".

Last edited:
(1) Too often (some) people still see racism (or claim to see racism) where it really isn't. On the other hand, too often (some) people still deny racism where it really is. An important point, and one that I think gets largely overlooked, is that the latter is in part to blame for the former - at least, the latter makes it easier for people to get away with the former.

(2) I think some people confound racist and racial, typically by assuming that the latter necessary indicates the former. There's a significant difference between the two, or there can be depending on context, and that difference is particularly important when it comes to assessing the propriety of someone's comments (and perhaps sometimes even their actions).

(3) In this particular case, I'm struggling to come up with a plausible point for the watermelon reference if it isn't to be racial (and perhaps racist). I mean, what's supposed to be funny about it? Or what point is it trying to make? What's the social or political commentary? What's the criticism of the President? If the point isn't just to raise the notion that President Obama is black and thus would like the taste of watermelon toothpaste - you know, because black people like watermelons - then what is the point? I'm open to suggestions. I'm not judging the quality of the humor or the point that's being made, I just have no idea what it might be if it isn't just to be racial.

Last edited: