Mr. Tire

tuffenuff2

My son (a new driver) had a tire that was low. He filled it up and went to Mr. Tire in Charlotte Hall. They told him all his tires were bad and he needed 4 new tires. My son trusted them and paid over 500 dollars for new tires. The problem I have with this event is I just put new tires on the vehicle not 10 months ago. They essentially lied to him to get an inexperienced person to buy something they did not need. Has anybody else had a similar experience with Mr. Tire??

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, that's a lesson learned. Have you decided that now is a great time to teach him what good and bad tires look like? Expecting a shop to not do this sort of thing is sort of pie in the sky, I think. Education is the key to not getting taken. This assumes they did wrong? If the vehicle had a bad alignment, it could very well eat a set of tires very quickly.

FED_UP

Yep, many factors can come in to play, cheap tires, correct tires for the type of car, is the teen taking off fast when you are not in the car (likely) causing wear faster, and the things glhs837 mentioned especially “lesson learned”. Maybe bad joints in the suspension, but if that was the case they should have caught that. The bottom line is yes it's possible. He should always shop around first; most likely they did not hold a gun to his head and say get these tires right f ing now or you will die. I always find buying tires on line the better way to go.

Last edited:

tuffenuff2

Thanks. This is not the first time I have had a bad experience with Mr. Tire. I do all my own repair and just taught him to change his brakes - in fact he did the entire job himself and then did another car on his own. I have not taught him about tread wear but will make sure he gets that lesson soon. I still think Mr. Tire takes advantage of people. Obviously you have had a good experience with them. I went in for an alignment and they told me I needed new struts - that was 100,000 miles ago and my car is still going strong. I have taught my son a VERY important lesson tonight - never go to Mr. Tire again!!!

glhs837

Power with Control
Nope, Dont use Mr Tire, I only use Curtis. Just explaining how it could be. Not knowing folks experience levels, it's hard to know what level of advice they need. A great place to teach tire wear is right in front of most tire shops, they all have a used tire rack, you can see them clearly, and there is a wide variety of conditions to be seen. The most important lesson is to never take a shops word for anything without checking. Very few things cannot be mulled over for a day or so, giving the person a chance to check and verify. Hell, even here in this non-car forum, there's an amazing amount of automotive expertise.

sm8

I had a similar experience but did not fall for it. Hubby decided last minute he was going to use my car to go out of state so I needed a quick oil change. When I dropped it off I told them I would buy nothing extra and did not have a lot of time to sit around all day. A few minutes later a paper came to the desk, I had this nagging feeling it was about my car. I asked and was told that was about some one else's car. I was quoted a 15 minute turn around, 15 minutes go by and I ask again for an update and still no word. Another 15 minutes go by so I get up and ask again and was told they still have not brought in the paperwork for my car so I ask again if it was the paper brought in almost immediately. Was told nope but they would ask what was taking so long. About 5 minutes later without ever leaving the counter the guy finally picks up the paper and calls me up. Gives me a quote of 3,000 to fix what was wrong with my car and said it was a matter of safety that they could not in good faith let me leave. This is a new car mind you and I am usually a very laid back person but I lost it. I told them I wanted my car and I wanted it now and was not paying for anything other than the oil change I brought it in for. I may have fallen for that 15 years ago but definitely not today. Hubby got a good laugh when I showed him the list of things they said was wrong with my car.

Daddio

MR Crooked

My son (a new driver) had a tire that was low. He filled it up and went to Mr. Tire in Charlotte Hall. They told him all his tires were bad and he needed 4 new tires. My son trusted them and paid over 500 dollars for new tires. The problem I have with this event is I just put new tires on the vehicle not 10 months ago. They essentially lied to him to get an inexperienced person to buy something they did not need. Has anybody else had a similar experience with Mr. Tire??

While my truck was in Mr Tire receiving repairs, a Mr. Tire employee drove my truck out of the shop, apparently side swiping the passenger side of the truck. When I went to pick up my vehicle, the damaged side was hidden next to a closely parked vehicle and no one offered an explanation. I don't know why, but for some reason I did a walk around and found the damage prior to leaving. I went in to speak with Mr Cheseldine and he denied it happened in their shop. The problem he faced was, my truck had a yellow stripe down the entire passenger side AND there was a 4 ft yellow pillar just inside their roll up door (with yellow flakes laying there). Mr Cheseldine begged me not to report the incident (to his corporation and not to the Po Po) by offering to pay for the damages plus extra for my troubles. After I got an estimate, I took the money and let it go.

acommondisaster

Did you call the manager?

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I've only been to the one in Leonardtown and haven't had any REAL issues. I was told that my wife's SUV needed brakes all the way around. I picked up pads and changed the fronts. She's put several thousand miles on it since, and the pads on the back still have some "meat" on them.

I took a van there for inspection and received none of the BS about it needing this or that to go through. Of course, I've bought tires there before and they know I'm a repeat customer. I do think if you find and patronize a business on a regular basis, you get better service.

Popster

Years ago I took our van to the Lex Park shop where the phone store is now located. I had changed the serpentine belt about two week earlier. I was told the belt needed replacement. They took me out and showed me a cut in the belt. Someone had a sharp knife! As I was dialing the cops and they decided to replace the belt for free.

officeguy

I can't say that I had any bad experiences beyond the typical upsell stuff.

Did they check the alignment when they put the new tires on ? If your 'new driver' went over a curb sideways, it is well possible that the alignment was far enough off to eat through a set of tires in short order.

Last edited:

Justme2

I won't ever go to Califorina Mr.Tire again or for that fact any Mr.Tire period for anything. They did work on my car and they it wasn't correct and then when I brought it back they took it apart and tried to tell some B. S. story of the used gas tank they put on was my fault and leaking at the welded seam that holds the sending unit. And then wanted more money to put the car back together when I wasn't going for that trick.

merc669

I order mine thru Tire-Rack or one of the Online Places and then take them to Curtis Tire for installation. Along with everything else my two vehicles need. Curtis Tire has always treated my family and me right. Try going that route one as far as Mail-Order. My last order had free shipping and no tax. Except for the installation and balancing.

Homer J

Power Chord
I order mine thru Tire-Rack or one of the Online Places and then take them to Curtis Tire for installation. Along with everything else my two vehicles need. Curtis Tire has always treated my family and me right. Try going that route one as far as Mail-Order. My last order had free shipping and no tax. Except for the installation and balancing.

I've heard nothing but good things about Curtis Tire. I plan on visiting them soon for new tires for my daughters car. It's also nice to patronize a locally owned small business.

dave1959

While my truck was in Mr Tire receiving repairs, a Mr. Tire employee drove my truck out of the shop, apparently side swiping the passenger side of the truck. When I went to pick up my vehicle, the damaged side was hidden next to a closely parked vehicle and no one offered an explanation. I don't know why, but for some reason I did a walk around and found the damage prior to leaving. I went in to speak with Mr Cheseldine and he denied it happened in their shop. The problem he faced was, my truck had a yellow stripe down the entire passenger side AND there was a 4 ft yellow pillar just inside their roll up door (with yellow flakes laying there). Mr Cheseldine begged me not to report the incident (to his corporation and not to the Po Po) by offering to pay for the damages plus extra for my troubles. After I got an estimate, I took the money and let it go.
Hate to burst your bubble but Mr Cheseldine has nothing to do with Mr Tire. He owns his own shop and would always take responsibility if one of his employees does something wrong. Get your story straight and come back.

Last edited:

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
Mr. tire is an avoid at all costs kind of place.

Unfortunately so far the one in the park is the only one who has managed to get the alignment right on my truck.

I've heard nothing but good things about Curtis Tire. I plan on visiting them soon for new tires for my daughters car. It's also nice to patronize a locally owned small business.

For tires I like Curtis, they will try and get as close to an internet price if they can. This was one of the shop I tried to get my truck aligned, after 30 minutes on the phone trying to explain what was done, they said it was impossible to align my truck because upper control arms were on the wrong side.

Shops have always done this and always will. I will not go back to Waldorf VW for any service, they tried to feed me the biggest load of BS any shop has. Mr. Tire in Leonardtown has tried several times to sell my younger brother new brakes, even only a few months after he replaced them.