killing trees

acommondisaster

So, say someone wanted to slowly get rid of some nuisance trees that stand on an empty lot, but didn't want to chop them down. Say they weren't big huge trees, but maybe some trees that were planted as a personal vendetta against someone who no longer lives in the area. What if the trees are only about 5 inches or so in diameter, planted to block a waterview, but block the waterview for the entire neighborhood, and they aren't trees of value (they'd never be sold for firewood or anything else - they're more like giant weeds). What would be the best way to see that these trees meet their maker early; no saws or axes need apply.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Not that I'm encouraging you to do it, but it you want to kill anything growing - use salt. Nothing will ever grow there again.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
well if its in the critical area and you get caught.... be prepared to pay BIG fines and also plant lots of trees at your cost.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Id' say that going on to someone else's property to kill these trees would be a bigger potential problem for you than the trees obscuring your view. :shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Roundup Poison Ivy Plus (yellow package, they have it at Lowes) will kill small trees. The problem is that 5" diameter trees might be big enough that they can be dead but still standing, which doesn't serve your purpose. Also, if the lot is abandoned, you'll have to keep applying because other trees will crop up over time without routine maintenance.

Why not just call the owner of the property and ask them to clear their lot, or volunteer to do it yourself?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Drill a hole in the tree at a downward angle and pour concentrated round up in the hole.

Chris0nllyn

Remove bark from bottom of tree. Also called girdling.

You can go even further and "cup out" the bark to almost form a bowl around the base. Then apply herbicide. The closer to the roots the better. It'll take a few weeks, but the tree will die.

*Not advocating doing this on anyone else's property.

Freefaller

Big copper nail.

The problem with a big copper nail is that if/when the tree dies and if, eventually someone comes to cut them down, someone could get seriously hurt. If they don't see the nail and hit it with a chainsaw, well, the results could get pretty ugly, fast. I'm sure you don't want to hurt anyone. Don't put a nail in the tree, please. For those of you that advocate this method, use your head. Doing this could seriously injure or kill an innocent person!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
The problem with a big copper nail is that if/when the tree dies and if, eventually someone comes to cut them down, someone could get seriously hurt. If they don't see the nail and hit it with a chainsaw, well, the results could get pretty ugly, fast. I'm sure you don't want to hurt anyone. Don't put a nail in the tree, please. For those of you that advocate this method, use your head. Doing this could seriously injure or kill an innocent person!

If you plan on cutting a tree down with a chainsaw don't you check them for foreign matter first? I know I do.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
If you plan on cutting a tree down with a chainsaw don't you check them for foreign matter first? I know I do.

Nails can't always be seen. When I had three HUGE trees go down and cut into sections, someone pointed out the dark marks on the interior of the wood and was told that those were old nails that the tree had grown over in the years.

So, say someone wanted to slowly get rid of some nuisance trees that stand on an empty lot, but didn't want to chop them down. Say they weren't big huge trees, but maybe some trees that were planted as a personal vendetta against someone who no longer lives in the area. What if the trees are only about 5 inches or so in diameter, planted to block a waterview, but block the waterview for the entire neighborhood, and they aren't trees of value (they'd never be sold for firewood or anything else - they're more like giant weeds). What would be the best way to see that these trees meet their maker early; no saws or axes need apply.
Spike 80DF worked at Toomey's Corner.

dan0623_2000

Acommdiaster - Don't be such a cheap jerk. Buy the property, then cut the trees down so others can enjoy the water view.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Acommdiaster - Don't be such a cheap jerk. Buy the property, then cut the trees down so others can enjoy the water view.

:lol:.... you cant just CUT DOWN TREES in the Critical Area..... I swear they have pictures of all the trees :killingme

nutz

I'd say that someone doesn't have very high personal morals.

acommondisaster

We used to have trees lining our driveway; definitely on our property. We live in a critical environmental zone and tree removal has to be approved, and often it's denied, unless the tree is dead. When we got a new neighbor, he constantly whined about trees in the yard and how the "rich people in the neighborhood" all had the trees removed from their yards, ad nauseum. Someone please tell me why people buy a house on a wooded lot in a wooded neighborhood in a critical area, where you have to sign a paper saying you KNOW you're in a critical area and then want to cut down the trees and make it look like some scorched earth tract house suburb? Within about a 3 year period, slowly, all of the trees lining our driveway died. None of them were big trees, all about 7 - 10 inches in circumference. The neighbor's gone, but we've always wondered if our neighbor had a hand in it.

As far as the trees I'm talking about - it isn't us who wants the trees gone, it is on another property in another state. No one lives on the lot, no one ever will; if and when the wetland ever sells, the trees will come down to gain access to the property, and I have no interest in buying a property that wont perk and can't be built on. They are not native trees, they are trees that were purposely planted to block the view of a man who was having an affair with the planter's wife. Planter/owner has moved out of the country and has been trying to sell the lot for as long as anyone in the neighborhood can remember, even before the tawdry affair thing, exwife and lover have split and gone their separate ways. Nothing will come of it; it was a musing on the deck on a nice evening and intertwined with a conversation that all of our trees died, and did our old neighbor have something to do with it, and if so, how did he do it.
Way to jump to conclusions.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
L
We used to have trees lining our driveway; definitely on our property. We live in a critical environmental zone and tree removal has to be approved, and often it's denied, unless the tree is dead. When we got a new neighbor, he constantly whined about trees in the yard and how the "rich people in the neighborhood" all had the trees removed from their yards, ad nauseum. Someone please tell me why people buy a house on a wooded lot in a wooded neighborhood in a critical area, where you have to sign a paper saying you KNOW you're in a critical area and then want to cut down the trees and make it look like some scorched earth tract house suburb? Within about a 3 year period, slowly, all of the trees lining our driveway died. None of them were big trees, all about 7 - 10 inches in circumference. The neighbor's gone, but we've always wondered if our neighbor had a hand in it.

As far as the trees I'm talking about - it isn't us who wants the trees gone, it is on another property in another state. No one lives on the lot, no one ever will; if and when the wetland ever sells, the trees will come down to gain access to the property, and I have no interest in buying a property that wont perk and can't be built on. They are not native trees, they are trees that were purposely planted to block the view of a man who was having an affair with the planter's wife. Planter/owner has moved out of the country and has been trying to sell the lot for as long as anyone in the neighborhood can remember, even before the tawdry affair thing, exwife and lover have split and gone their separate ways. Nothing will come of it; it was a musing on the deck on a nice evening and intertwined with a conversation that all of our trees died, and did our old neighbor have something to do with it, and if so, how did he do it.
Way to jump to conclusions.
You should have seen the thread when someone asked how to get rid of a cat.