Grout

iris28

I have a light color grout on all tile in my house. I've only been there a year and of course the color isn't holding up. With regular scrubbing I can not get the color back. I'm curious if any one has ever had their grout restained? Any suggestions on a good company?

DEEKAYPEE8569

I have a light color grout on all tile in my house. I've only been there a year and of course the color isn't holding up. With regular scrubbing I can not get the color back. I'm curious if any one has ever had their grout restained? Any suggestions on a good company?

Is the color changing?.....say from white to a light yellow or light rust color to a darker rust color? If you have well water, that may be the cause.

If none of the grout specific cleaners won't work; and they might not work well anyway if you have well water; neither would re-staining it.
You may have to re-grout; which means removing the tile, replacing the tile and starting over......and placing filters between your pump and water tank.

Edit: With regard to your question, I don't personally or professionaly know anyone that does that kind of work. Someone in here does though, I'm sure.

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

White vinegar got my dingy gray grout back to the white it was ment to be. There was nothing else that worked. I also had to use a very stiff grout brush while scrubbing, when the vinegar all dried a couple hours later it was as white as it was (probably) when it was new.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Have you tried any of the grout sealing products out there? I always seal the grout after I'm finished and it's had adequate cure time, but I've never used a tinted grout.

nutz

Is the color changing?.....say from white to a light yellow or light rust color to a darker rust color? If you have well water, that may be the cause.

If none of the grout specific cleaners won't work; and they might not work well anyway if you have well water; neither would re-staining it.
You may have to re-grout; which means removing the tile, replacing the tile and starting over......and placing filters between your pump and water tank.

Edit: With regard to your question, I don't personally or professionaly know anyone that does that kind of work. Someone in here does though, I'm sure.

Or, they could just replace the grout....:whistle: which is probably what you meant. Time consuming but not a high skill level job

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/asktoh/question/0,,393018,00.html

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member

Idiot.
You do NOT have to remove tile to replace the grout.

acommondisaster

I bought myself a Wagner power steamer and regularly clean the grout myself throughout my house - the grout in the kitchen was dark brown, almost black when we moved in - I thought that was the real color until we removed a built in desk and I saw the original color. My steamer requires no chemicals; just water and a towel to wipe up behind it. Doesn't really take a lot of work/time to keep it clean once it's done properly. At some point, it'd be nice to seal the grout, but that's so far down on his honey do list.

iris28

Thanks everyone! I'd forgotten I'd posted this! I have tried vinegar...which did not work :( but I will try try steaming it. I am interested in having it regrouted. The house is only a year old and I just can't keep up with it.