The Bay Net SUCKS!

FollowTheMoney

The Bay Net has a huge unrepairable tear in it and cannot be fixed. Even though they censor their user's comments, and is politically left leaning, it was somewhat a useful site. But now, it SUCKS even worse. It takes much longer to load and has no descent flow to page loading. On top of that, if someone is used to doing a right mouse click "back" rather than going all the way over to the upper left to click on the back arrow, you can't do that anymore. And.... if you want to right mouse click on a link to open that link up in a new tab or window, nope, can't do that anymore either. As a matter of fact, the right mouse click is completely disabled on the site entirely. And that's using the most up to date version of Firefox. Using a current version of Explorer, it doesn't even fully load. Looks completely cheesy and is made in India, or maybe China. Maybe those Indian programmers bought the website template from someone in China. A huge P O S. Un-american sphincters, outsourcing their site when there are thousands of college graduates with newly learned programming skills just chomping at the bit to be given a shot. IMHO

mamatutu

mama to two
The Bay Net has a huge unrepairable tear in it and cannot be fixed. Even though they censor their user's comments, and is politically left leaning, it was somewhat a useful site. But now, it SUCKS even worse. It takes much longer to load and has no descent flow to page loading. On top of that, if someone is used to doing a right mouse click "back" rather than going all the way over to the upper left to click on the back arrow, you can't do that anymore. And.... if you want to right mouse click on a link to open that link up in a new tab or window, nope, can't do that anymore either. As a matter of fact, the right mouse click is completely disabled on the site entirely. And that's using the most up to date version of Firefox. Using a current version of Explorer, it doesn't even fully load. Looks completely cheesy and is made in India, or maybe China. Maybe those Indian programmers bought the website template from someone in China. A huge P O S. Un-american sphincters, outsourcing their site when there are thousands of college graduates with newly learned programming skills just chomping at the bit to be given a shot. IMHO

I agree. I sent them a feedback email. Never heard back from them. Big surprise. They have changed the format since their first launch of the new site, but it still sucks. IMO, they messed up a good thing. It was very user friendly before, but now not at all. Also, agree with your assessment of why did they use the formatters that they used? I don't even bother going there anymore, and have found there are other sites for local news that I didn't know existed. This is a good time to endorse somd news. I feel bad I didn't have it as my go to before now. Live and learn.

Goldenhawk

And.... if you want to right mouse click on a link to open that link up in a new tab or window, nope, can't do that anymore either.
I agree, the new BayNet design is horrible. I've started avoiding it too. Hadn't discovered THAT limitation.

Quick pro tip 1: Middle-click a link to open in a new tab. Works on Firefox at least, even with the new design.

Quick pro tip 2: In Firefox you can prevent ALL websites from doing this sucky right-click-disable nonsense:
http://www.wikihow.com/Disable-"No-Right-Click"-Scripts-in-Firefox

Last edited:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
they are afraid someone it going to 'steal' content by right clicking something and downloading it

TPD

the poor dad
Another vote for 'the BayNet website sucks!' column. Used to be my go-to sight for local news, but now, not so much. I had considered advertising on that site a couple months ago. If I was an advertiser on that site today, I would demand a refund.

FollowTheMoney

Save yourself lots of work. Just middle-click (click on the link with the mouse wheel). Same as "right click, select Open in new tab" but instant.
Well that is something new, thank you. But that still doesn't allow you open a new window if you wanted too, or to go back. I'm gonna just stop going there.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

Lt Gov Anthony Brown is auditioning for his next job after November 4th.

mitzi

It is horrible. I've been to the site a few times and the articles are scattered and way too much scrolling to find an article. I haven't gone to the site in days now and don't plan to anymore. It was fine the way it was. I have very little web design skills (I took a class lol) and I think I could have designed something better than this.

It really is un-navigable now. I used to hit that site several times a day, but not anymore. I can't believe they screwed it up so badly. Was it broke before they fixed it?

dilligaf.

I agree, it sucks now. The quantity of ads on the pages is ridiculous. Do they really need to put an ad between each obituary listing? And now, no one leaves funny or sarcastic or interesting comments because of a lack of anonymity, as it was before.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I agree, it sucks now. The quantity of ads on the pages is ridiculous. Do they really need to put an ad between each obituary listing? And now, no one leaves funny or sarcastic or interesting comments because of a lack of anonymity, as it was before.

Welcome to the NWO.

mamatutu

mama to two
Welcome to the NWO.

:high5: If I had said that, there would be a slew of replies that I am kookoo! Thank you!

I just emailed them again and gave them the link to this thread. They wouldn't let me copy/paste so I had to give them the whole thread address. I doubt they will look at it. Both times I have gotten thank you for your feedback, but no real feedback from them. It may seem small that Baynet has done this, but we are being infiltrated a little bit at a time; especially from sources we never expected. Call me vigilant, paranoid, or kookoo; I really don't care. It is better to have a voice than wonder what the hell happened when it is all said and done.

Last edited:

Goldenhawk

Ironically, an organization with which I'm associated had the BayNet do its website a few years ago... Now they are farming their own website out? That smacks of a loss of experienced personnel...

FollowTheMoney

Maybe we can all gang up on The Bay Net by starting a writing campaign to all the advertisers by telling them the truth of how their advertising dollars are being wasted on a now defunct website. Defunct by now being unnavigable, an eyesore, slow loading, bad coding, outsourced to India, (loss of American jobs), end-user disabled functions, piss poor design, cheesy looking. Even though they did suck (still worse now), at least as said before, the comments on some of the stories were sometimes the only draw, at least for me at times. They could get real testy, couldn't they? Better than the original story themselves. Let's make it happen people. IMHO