Another local govt addicted to the cash cow

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, would love to see the stats on how many kids have been hurt in these school zones by speeders. Betcha they haven't had one in living memory. Eh, but why apply logic and reason when you can shout down any opposition with "But why do you want to see 5 year olds drug underneath cars for miles? Cant you hear the screams in your head?"

BernieP

Resident PIA
http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/1...adds-a-new-speed-enforcement-camera-site.html

I'm not a Charles County resident, but something tells me there have been a lot of accidents at this location to warrant a speed camera to keep the kiddos safe, because it is ALL about safety and has nothing to do with the money!

mean while WUSA 9 has been running commercials for their evening news about the irregularities they have found that have called into question speed cameras in Maryland.

GregV814

I have some observations about this.....The officials in Washington DC have noted a reduction of proceeds, fancy word for cash, from the speed enforcement cameras. Now, they are concerned that those funds need to be replenished by other means....hmmmmmm And on another note, the States and Cities that heavily relied on taxes from cigarette sales are strapped for cash now due to the reduction of people smoking cigarettes....NOW pot is becomming legal in those vicinities.....hmmmmmmm maybe, just maybe they will tax your smoke????????

itsbob

I bowl overhand
http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/1...adds-a-new-speed-enforcement-camera-site.html

I'm not a Charles County resident, but something tells me there have been a lot of accidents at this location to warrant a speed camera to keep the kiddos safe, because it is ALL about safety and has nothing to do with the money!
I think the St Mary's college campus would be a GREAT location for one.. since its the college kids 90% of the time driving through there like idiots. Let's lighten THEIR pockets a little more to support our county..

glhs837

Power with Control
That's actually one of the few speed zones that's pretty much obeyed Bob. Since by law the machines cannot issue a ticket for less than 12mph over, I think very few would be issued there. If we deploy them, I would expect some fancy tricks like dropping the limit in front of a few places like GMHS (down to 25 from 40), Spring Ridge (down to say 35 from 50), and on 235 near either of the schools right off of them ( that you can stay 45, and you will still make money) But lets face, the Sheriffs plan is to place red light cameras first to get folks used to automated enforcement, then up the game.

BernieP

Resident PIA
That's actually one of the few speed zones that's pretty much obeyed Bob. Since by law the machines cannot issue a ticket for less than 12mph over, I think very few would be issued there. If we deploy them, I would expect some fancy tricks like dropping the limit in front of a few places like GMHS (down to 25 from 40), Spring Ridge (down to say 35 from 50), and on 235 near either of the schools right off of them ( that you can stay 45, and you will still make money) But lets face, the Sheriffs plan is to place red light cameras first to get folks used to automated enforcement, then up the game.

actually the could put 3 one GM Rd. One by the HS, one by the old McKay's and another by say Burger King / Checkers. [You have Carver and Lexington Park ES]

glhs837

Power with Control
actually the could put 3 one GM Rd. One by the HS, one by the old McKay's and another by say Burger King / Checkers. [You have Carver and Lexington Park ES]

Sure could, but if you put too many in an area, you might actually cause drivers to slow down, and then revenue drops off. One reason they use rotating mobile units. Like any good leech, never take too much from one place.

glhs837

Power with Control
Why are so many tickets written down there then?

Cant say, but the ten or more trips I take through there weekly always seem to be right around the limit, in fact, it's one of the few places I drive that routinely sees me stuck behind people who are under the limit. Of course, thats daytime mostly, maybe the other shifts see more speeders. I speak strictly of the section where it's 30. I sppose if you sat right past there, you could get people not slowing down before the sign. I certainly dont think your ratio of people going 12mph over through there would support a net gain in revenue.