New with cats

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
So I got a cat, he's six months old. How do I get him to stop waking me up in the middle of the night. It's like clockwork at 3:45 he's purring louder than a B-17 and headbutting my face rubbing against me. If I hide under the pillow he just starts kneeding the blankets. I've only owned dogs before, never cats, and the dog just sleeps all night. He has food, toys, etc., and I like him, but I need to sleep!

mamatutu

mama to two
So I got a cat, he's six months old. How do I get him to stop waking me up in the middle of the night. It's like clockwork at 3:45 he's purring louder than a B-17 and headbutting my face rubbing against me. If I hide under the pillow he just starts kneeding the blankets. I've only owned dogs before, never cats, and the dog just sleeps all night. He has food, toys, etc., and I like him, but I need to sleep!

He sounds adorable. He is young and will calm down with a routine. One of our cats stands on my hub or me to wake us up every morning around 6 to say it is time for breakfast. We get up at that time anyway, and he knows it. We, actually, look forward to him doing that every day! Enjoy your new kitty!

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Yeah, I like him and all, just not at 3:45 in the morning. :lol: I've tried not encouraging him by not getting up and then in the morning I make him wait about 30 min before I feed him in the hopes that he does not associate me waking up with food. He's a nice cat, likes his belly rubbed like a dog.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I had to look up the word. I'm going to have to tell my cat this since he also likes to wake me up around 3 AM-ish. :lol:

I know what you mean. I keep telling my cats that they are supposed to play at sunrise, but they're not listening.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Yeah, I like him and all, just not at 3:45 in the morning. :lol: I've tried not encouraging him by not getting up and then in the morning I make him wait about 30 min before I feed him in the hopes that he does not associate me waking up with food. He's a nice cat, likes his belly rubbed like a dog.

I can't recall ever having a cat that would not bother me during the night. I've always had to lock them out of the bedroom. And morning meal...if I don't feed one of them as soon as I get up, and try to have a cup of coffee, he gets on tables and starts knocking things off. It's a cats world.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I must be lucky. Mine don't bother me at all when I am in bed. When the weather cools, they sleep on the bed with me. I don't recall them ever waking me for anything. I do have to make sure the pantry door is latched so Bubba doesn't drag the bag of kibble out. He did that yesterday, but as soon as I called his name, he left it alone. :lol:

Showering alone is almost non existent unless I shut the door. They like to stick their heads in and drink out of the spigot. Dorks. :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Cats are nocturnal creatures. You might want to keep him out of the state at night.

:fixed:

Kiki Stinkertoes would never take no for an answer. If I shut her out of the room, she'd yowl to wake the dead and fling herself at the bedroom door. The only thing she'd tolerate, besides sleeping on my face, was being outside - so that's what we did.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I must be lucky. Mine don't bother me at all when I am in bed. When the weather cools, they sleep on the bed with me. I don't recall them ever waking me for anything. I do have to make sure the pantry door is latched so Bubba doesn't drag the bag of kibble out. He did that yesterday, but as soon as I called his name, he left it alone. :lol:

Showering alone is almost non existent unless I shut the door. They like to stick their heads in and drink out of the spigot. Dorks. :lol:
A while back, a friend of mine had a cat that would get in the shower with her. This cat loved the water. :eyebrow: Couldn't figure that one out.