Fishing report Columbus day

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
The lake level is up a bit after a few days of rain. Right after the rain isn't the best time to fish but you go when you can. I got 6 to the boat and lost 5 more. I had a few follow the lure back to the boat. Mepps spinners, floating rapalas & jointed rapalas did the trick.

Just 1 bass but it was a stout 17+ inch fish. The rest were decent sized pickerel. The fishing should remain good until the real cold weather moves in.

DSCF6986A.jpg

nutz

That's a nice looking largemouth. With fuel, tolls and gear...about $137.00 a pound (assuming you amortize your gear)? :yum: J/K, nice weather and a good excuse to get out.

Christy

b*tch rocket
We took a girlfiend of mine out kayak fishing on the Wicomico yesterday and she pulled in a big blue channel cat. It was well over 10 lbs. She was tickled. She'd never caught a fish so big. She reeled in 7 in total I think and I was catching a lot of perch. Lots of fun. :yay:

Monello

PREMO Member
That's a nice looking largemouth. With fuel, tolls and gear...about $137.00 a pound (assuming you amortize your gear)? :yum: J/K, nice weather and a good excuse to get out.

The fuel was free(long story), no tolls, the boat was bought for cash, and not really that much. Now gear that would probably triple the price. I easily have 400 lures. I have another 300+ flies. Toss in rods, reels, lines, hooks, terminal tackle and assorted other items purchased over the last 4 decades. Even when I get on the water, the boat sinks a few inches with all the gear that goes in the boat.

I once drove 5,400 miles to go fishing. That's not a typo. It took me 4 weeks to get there. I fished along the way. The stops were Deep Creek Lake, MD; Clinton lake, De Witt, IL; Dredge cut pond, Ft. Peck, MT; Chena Slough & Mullins pit, Fairbanks, AK. Finishing up on the Kenai peninsula for a couple of months of salmon & halibut fishing. I don't want to know what that fish cost me per pound. yolo.

filets.jpg

Monello

PREMO Member
I don't fish but I do Deep Creek Lake.

Just curious how the fishing there is regarded amongst y'all these days?

I have always had great success at Deep Creek. The only bad time was when I went in August of 2011 when it was very hot. Fishing was slow. ANother time it rained quite a bit and I only managed to catch a few. Other times with the lake you never know what you are going to catch. It might be a smallmouth, yellow perch, pickerel, largemouth, bluegill, walleye or some other fish. I find mid week is better since the weekend flotilla hasn't shown up yet. On the weekends the lake resembles an ocean with all the wakes & waves.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I have always had great success at Deep Creek. The only bad time was when I went in August of 2011 when it was very hot. Fishing was slow. ANother time it rained quite a bit and I only managed to catch a few. Other times with the lake you never know what you are going to catch. It might be a smallmouth, yellow perch, pickerel, largemouth, bluegill, walleye or some other fish. I find mid week is better since the weekend flotilla hasn't shown up yet. On the weekends the lake resembles an ocean with all the wakes & waves.

Northern pike, too!

dgates80

Land of the lost
The lake level is up a bit after a few days of rain. Right after the rain isn't the best time to fish but you go when you can. I got 6 to the boat and lost 5 more. I had a few follow the lure back to the boat. Mepps spinners, floating rapalas & jointed rapalas did the trick.

Just 1 bass but it was a stout 17+ inch fish. The rest were decent sized pickerel. The fishing should remain good until the real cold weather moves in.

View attachment 104877

"The lake"? Which lake are you referring to, just wondering....