You can't get there from here?

concerned

<p style= style="font-family:Arial">We've all heard this before, and probably laughed and shrugged our shoulders. To some residents of Leonardtown,
however, this simple statement is a reality.

Imagine this if you would. You are standing on the Northeast corner of Routes 5 and 245 in Leonardtown. Someone asks you to get a
cup of coffee at either of the convenience stores that are just a stones throw away. Would you do it? Probably. Now imagine that person
says that before you cross the road, you must close your eyes. Would you still do it?<o:p>
</o:p>
</span></p>
<p style= style="font-family:Arial">What if it was more important than merely a cup of coffee? What if you needed a prescription?
Or go to the doctor's? Or you wanted to go to the bank? Go to Church? Vote? Pick up your mail? (Remember, Leonardtown doesn't deliver
mail, so you <b><i>must</i></b> rent a box). What if you wanted to attend a class at the college? Attend a lecture at the Public Library?
Attend a town meeting? A County Commissioners meeting? Would you still close your eyes and cross?&nbsp;<o:p>
</span></p>
<p style= style="font-family:Arial">Most people look at me as though I'm crazy when I pose this question to them. Most people tell me that
they won't even cross this intersection with their eyes wide open. With the increased traffic, right turn on red (where drivers are not even
aware of pedestrians standing at this corner), a speed limit that is ignored by a lot of motorists, most people just shake their heads, agree
that this is a dangerous intersection, jump in their cars and go on their merry way. But what about our citizens that cannot &quot;jump into their cars&quot;
and go about their daily business?&nbsp;<o:p>
</span></p>
<p style= style="font-family:Arial
&quot;MS Mincho&quot;">&nbsp;So, what's the answer? Everyone that I have talked to has said <b>&quot;Gee, that's a shame. There ought to be a law&quot;</b>.Well, there is.
It's called the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). This LAW <b>requires</b>access to the public right-of-way for people with disabilities. Title II of the ADA <i>&quot;prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in all services, programs,
and activities provided by towns. Thus, people with disabilities must have an equal opportunity to participate in and benefit from a town’s services, programs,
and activities&quot;.&nbsp;</i>&nbsp;</span><span style="font-family:Arial"><o:p>
</span></p>
&quot;Times New Roman&quot;">Route 5 is a State road, so contacting the State Highway Administration seems to be the logical place to say to our government,
&quot;Hey, you are breaking the law. What are you going to do about it?&quot; The answer? One representative called to say he had spoken with several people
regarding the safety of the crossing on Rt. 245 and RT. 5. He asked questions such as, could the right turn on red be suspended, could there be an APS plan
put into place, and what was the rating on the intersection for improvements regarding pedestrian safety.</span><span style="font-family:Arial"><o:p>
</span></p>
&quot;Times New Roman&quot;">So, what does this mean? Based on an arbitrary system, it seems to be implied that there is not a great enough need here and
the LAW can be disregarded. The <b><i>only solution</i></b> proposed at this time is to install raised lines at the crossing enabling a blind pedestrian to
feel the lines thus theoretically guiding one to the other side of the street. This is not an effective answer. There are many aspects of this intersection that are
being ignored.&nbsp; The State installed Audible Pedestrian Signals (APS) in Lutherville, Maryland in 1995. Since that time, there have been many more
installed, including Baltimore and Silver Springs. So, why not here?</span><span style="font-family:Arial"><o:p>
</span></p>
&quot;Times New Roman&quot;">Access to traffic and signal information is an important feature of accessible sidewalks and street crossings for pedestrians
who have vision impairments. While most intersections pose little difficulty for independent travelers who are blind or have low vision, there are some
situations in which the information provided by an accessible pedestrian signal is <b>necessary</b> for independent and safe crossing. This is the case of the
intersection of Maryland Routes 5 and 245. </span><span style="font-family: Arial">Geometries, acoustic conditions, and traffic control systems make it very
difficult for persons who are visually impaired to obtain the cues necessary to cross streets independently and safely. Accessible traffic signal technologies
can be helpful to pedestrians in these situations.<o:p>
<span style="font-family:Arial">Accessible pedestrian signals that provide audible and/or vibrotactile information coinciding with visual pedestrian signals
let pedestrians who are blind know precisely when the WALK interval begins. This information is useful in analyzing an intersection and preparing to cross.
Pedestrians who know when the crossing interval begins will be able to start a crossing before turning cars enter the intersection and can complete a crossing
with less delay. Audible signals can also provide directional guidance, which is particularly useful at non-perpendicular intersections and at wide multi-lane
crossings (as is the situation of this particular intersection)<o:p>
</span></p>
<p style="font-family:Arial">So, the statement <b> &quot;you can't get there from here&quot;</b> is NOT an acceptable solution for ignoring the law and it is
up to our Government to provide the solution.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by concerned
<p style= style="font-family:Arial">
<p style="mily:Arial">So, the statement <b> &quot;you can't get there from here&quot;</b> is NOT an acceptable solution for ignoring the law and it is
up to our Government to provide the solution.
And your point is? Sorry, I think your rhetoric is going to fall on deaf ears(no pun intended). Is this an issue that you personally are affected by, or are you championing the cause for others? Maybe a system of underground tunnels throughout Leonardtown square might provide some relief, but other than that, I do not see what can be done, within reason.
penncam

Bacall

Re: Re: You can't get there from here?

Originally posted by penncam
And your point is? Sorry, I think your rhetoric is going to fall on deaf ears(no pun intended). Is this an issue that you personally are affected by, or are you championing the cause for others? Maybe a system of underground tunnels throughout Leonardtown square might provide some relief, but other than that, I do not see what can be done, within reason.
penncam

Maybe not deaf ears. Maybe just the wrong approach.

Blind persons have been navigating intersections for centuries. Granted, in this day and age, it's a little more difficult, but can be done. First, you have a cane. People will notice it. Second, I've seen signs allerting drivers of deaf persons in the area. Isn't there something comparable for sight impairments to warn drivers? This could possibly be an easier reslotion than one might intiially assume.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Concerned....

Wasn't there a story about that in the Enterprise a while back?

Doc

Originally posted by concerned
Most people tell me that
they won't even cross this intersection with their eyes wide open.

So nondisabled folks, for the most part, feel they can't cross it.

Sounds like parity between the disabled and nondisabled to me!

voter

I vote for blind people to not be allowed to cross roads at all. This could fall under the same law that does not allow me to ride my bike, lawnmower, and tractor on Interstate 95. Sometimes things get so dangerous that it makes sense to just not allow it. Why would you allow a blind person to try anyway?
A walking bridge for pedestrians would be a better solution.
Or walk down the street to a less busy area and cross there.

voter

Re: Re: You can't get there from here?

Originally posted by Doc
So nondisabled folks, for the most part, feel they can't cross it.

Sounds like good personal judgment and an individual taking responsibility for their own saftey and well being. Must be a Republican. I'd be worried if they risked their life just to get to the other side of the road.

Deer signs are everywhere but the deer don't listen, they just keep jumping out in front of people who just read the friggin' sign.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
:smile: Hey, maybe what voter brought up isn't such a bad idea. How about a walking bridge across the Square? What about a raised walking platform? I wonder if that would be feasable in the physical sense? Of course, there's the financial side as well to reckon with. What would something like that cost us taxpayers?
penncam