New to Lusby =)

Prosion

Hey everyone!

My family and I will soon be moving to the CRE and I had a couple of questions if someone has the time to answer them:

What trash service does everyone use?

I know there are mail box hubs, but do packages get delivered to your door at least, or do you have to go to the post office to pick them up?

How are the garden plots down there at the community garden?

Thank you kindly for the info! I am sure I will have some more questions once I can think of them.

-Kelly

Midnightrider

Hey everyone!

My family and I will soon be moving to the CRE and I had a couple of questions if someone has the time to answer them:

I know there are mail box hubs, but do packages get delivered to your door at least, or do you have to go to the post office to pick them up?

Thank you kindly for the info! I am sure I will have some more questions once I can think of them.

-Kelly
We use waste management, no complaints ever. There are cheaper outfits but check their online reviews.
You can take your trash to the transfer station across from foodlion for free, same with the landfill.

Small packages get left at the cluster boxes larger ones you have to pick up usually.

You have to go through the HOA to get a garden site. You can call the office.

Roman

I know very little about CRE, but wanted to welcome you to the forum. This is a great place to get about any information that you need.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Be aware that CRE has started the process to incorporate into a municipality. That may mean higher taxes (you'd be paying County property taxes, although at a lower rate just like North Beach and Chesapeake Beach do, and Town taxes to the new municipality. The removal of POA dues might make that a wash.).

It will also mean that the new municipality will be eligible for grants and bonding from the State and Federal governments, among other granting groups, something CRE can't do now. The grants/bonds could be used for roads, wetlands preservation, building or acquiring recreation areas. North Beach just received $575K to construct a living shoreline at an eroding beach.

Also, and this will strike a chord with older CRE residents, a municipality is eligible for FEMA money for disasters. A POA/HOA isn't.

Prosion

Thank you for the info everyone and the welcome =)

Has anyone used the garden? How do you like it, if so.

cregardener

Thank you for the info everyone and the welcome =)

Has anyone used the garden? How do you like it, if so.

Hello and welcome to CRE. You can email the garden committee cregardens@yahoo.com and inquire about a garden plot. There are currently plots available, all different sizes. The cost is $30 for an entire year and we have water (included in the cost). You can call the admin office at 410-326-3182 for general information, paperwork, rules and regs, etc., too. There are various FB pages, some are "rogue" and some are legit.

calvcopf

Welcome! I don't live in CRE, but as far as trash service, you are close enough to the landfill to drop your trash off for "free", if you want. Calvert County rolls garbage fees into our property taxes, so you are already paying for it like it or not....

Last edited:

mamatutu

mama to two
Welcome! I don't live in CRE, but as far as trash service, you are close enough to the landfill to drop your trash of for "free", if you want. Calvert County rolls garbage fees into our property taxes, so you are already paying for it like it or not....

That is such a great point about taking trash to the drop off waste sites. Why pay for that extra. It takes some getting used to if you didn't have that from whence you came. When I am off to the grocery store, I just drop the trash off from the week before. And, don't forget recycle. I don't think people know how much they can recycle. I recycle more now than I throw away.

This is interesting. I just recently visited one of my brothers in Pittsburgh. He quit recycling because they were hit with a $48/mo recycle fee, so he said that is not worth it and stopped. It doesn't make sense to recycle if you have to pay for what you recycle. :doh:

Last edited:

Prosion

When I was young, you used to get paid for recycling.. it took alot, but it was a good way to save up for some little toy =)

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
That is such a great point about taking trash to the drop off waste sites. Why pay for that extra. It takes some getting used to if you didn't have that from whence you came. When I am off to the grocery store, I just drop the trash off from the week before. And, don't forget recycle. I don't think people know how much they can recycle. I recycle more now than I throw away.

This is interesting. I just recently visited one of my brothers in Pittsburgh. He quit recycling because they were hit with a $48/mo recycle fee, so he said that is not worth it and stopped. It doesn't make sense to recycle if you have to pay for what you recycle. :doh:

Don't think you're not paying for it in Calvert. You'll notice that there's a Solid Waste Fee on your tax bill. That includes a fee for recycling, it's just not broken out as such.

Residents in North Beach and Chesapeake Beach pay it twice, or rather three times: on their County tax bill, to the contracted trash service to pick it up, and in the trash service part of their Town taxes (the Towns are charged $30/ton when the contractor drops it at the transfer station). The County then pays a recycler to take it away, who separates it and then sells it.

The County Commissioners ####ed up the recycling program when they set it up back in the 1980's and haven't been able to un#### it ever since. Recycling should be a break even proposition for the County and it isn't.

EDIT:

What I mean by "break even" is that the County should be being paid by the recycler to take it, not paying the recycler to do so.

Last edited:

mamatutu

mama to two
Don't think you're not paying for it in Calvert. You'll notice that there's a Solid Waste Fee on your tax bill. That includes a fee for recycling, it's just not broken out as such.

Residents in North Beach and Chesapeake Beach pay it twice, or rather three times: on their County tax bill, to the contracted trash service to pick it up, and in the trash service part of their Town taxes (the Towns are charged $30/ton when the contractor drops it at the transfer station). The County then pays a recycler to take it away, who separates it and then sells it.

The County Commissioners ####ed up the recycling program when they set it up back in the 1980's and haven't been able to un#### it ever since. Recycling should be a break even proposition for the County and it isn't.

EDIT:

What I mean by "break even" is that the County should be being paid by the recycler to take it, not paying the recycler to do so.

I should have known. :doh: My husband takes care of the bills. I guess I will have to tell my brother that we are in the same boat, but that it wasn't so obvious here. Thanks for the heads up. Gawd forbid I post wrong info! :lol:

Last edited:

dilligaf.

When I was young, you used to get paid for recycling.. it took alot, but it was a good way to save up for some little toy =)

You can still do that. Just save up all your aluminum soda cans and bring them to a scrap metal place and they will pay you by the pound.

dilligaf.

I should have known. :doh: My husband takes care of the bills. I guess I will have to tell my brother that we are in the same boat, but that it wasn't so obvious here. Thanks for the heads up. Gawd forbid I post wrong info! :lol:

Well here in Calvert we are just in a much better boat. No way near $48/month for recycling. I think the last time I looked at the annual solid waste fee (which was not too long ago), it was something like less than $100 for an entire year of throwing away garbage and recycling. Heck, they you can even schedule them to come pick up your old sofa or dishwasher etc and they come to your house and pick it up and haul it away for free. I bet if you ask friends and relatives that live in different states, I doubt many will say their local landfill does that for them. And I bet many people in Calvert don't even know the landfill will do that for you.

mamatutu

mama to two
Well here in Calvert we are just in a much better boat. No way near $48/month for recycling. I think the last time I looked at the annual solid waste fee (which was not too long ago), it was something like less than $100 for an entire year of throwing away garbage and recycling. Heck, they you can even schedule them to come pick up your old sofa or dishwasher etc and they come to your house and pick it up and haul it away for free. I bet if you ask friends and relatives that live in different states, I doubt many will say their local landfill does that for them. And I bet many people in Calvert don't even know the landfill will do that for you.

I never knew that. I have a sofa! :lol: This is why this forum is so great! Thanks for the info! :smile:

Last edited:

ReadingTheNews

If your lot is fairly decent - or even if it's not, with a little amending - you could have a garden right there at your house.
And as far as packages delivered, our mail carrier is the best: she always leaves the bigger stuff on the front porch or next to the garage. I rarely have to go to the P.O. for pick up.

Enjoy your stay in CRE!
:howdy:

SoMD_Fun_Guy

Do you like apples?
Hey everyone!

-Kelly

Welcome to the area! :howdy:

Prosion

If your lot is fairly decent - or even if it's not, with a little amending - you could have a garden right there at your house.
And as far as packages delivered, our mail carrier is the best: she always leaves the bigger stuff on the front porch or next to the garage. I rarely have to go to the P.O. for pick up.

Enjoy your stay in CRE!
:howdy:

I would love to plant at home, but am renting unfortunately. I do plan on having some containers of course, but for the bigger stuff I would plant elsewhere. Plus I feel it may be a nice way to be involved in the community =)

That would be great though to get things delivered! Does UPS also leave things at the cluster? What about fedex?

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I would love to plant at home, but am renting unfortunately. I do plan on having some containers of course, but for the bigger stuff I would plant elsewhere. Plus I feel it may be a nice way to be involved in the community =)

That would be great though to get things delivered! Does UPS also leave things at the cluster? What about fedex?

No, pretty sure all my UPS and FedEx were delivered to my door. Most USPS boxes can fit in the larger parcel boxes down by the clusters. They leave a key in your mailbox and you use that to get it out. If it doesn't fit, or all large parcel boxes are occupied, you'll have to pick it up at the post office.

Midnightrider

it depends on what type of shipping you get through them. Fedex uses 'smartpost' for its cheapest options, they get fedexed to your post office and then deleivered by them. I think UPS has a similar deal with some of theior delivery options.

One thing i have found interesting, Amazon apparently has a deal with the USPS that has them delivering to your door on sundays. They wont do it any other day, but more than once an amazon package has been dropped on my door step by the USPS on a sunday.

ReadingTheNews

No, UPS and FedEx do not leave things at the clusterboxes. They will be dropped - sorry, placed gently at your door.
Again, welcome to the area :yay: