HELP advice needed for: Baby/Pet Gates, darn Hazel

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
It looks like I will need to get some baby/pet gates to keep Miss Hazel from eating everything we have in the house when she is left alone. She's not very big, so I am not sure if I should just get a short gate we can step over? Or will we have to get a taller one and have the "walk through" option? She found my hiding place for the kitty food bowl, so I will need a gate across a narrow stairwell also. I prefer the gates that are adjustable and use spring tension vs. the type you have to mount into the wall. Any suggestions?

SoMDGirl42

It looks like I will need to get some baby/pet gates to keep Miss Hazel from eating everything we have in the house when she is left alone. She's not very big, so I am not sure if I should just get a short gate we can step over? Or will we have to get a taller one and have the "walk through" option? She found my hiding place for the kitty food bowl, so I will need a gate across a narrow stairwell also. I prefer the gates that are adjustable and use spring tension vs. the type you have to mount into the wall. Any suggestions?

Best gate ever for blocking off large areas. I blocked my entire living room off to keep the dogs out. Love the walk through
http://www.walmart.com/ip/North-States-3-in-1-Metal-Superyard-Portable-Playard-Gate/8456791

I have one similar to this for blocking off the stairs. It is tension mounted, but can be bolted. I chose to just do the tension mount. Love the walk through on this one as well.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/North-States-Deluxe-Easy-Close-Triple-Lock-Gate-Bronze/15572085

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Best gate ever for blocking off large areas. I blocked my entire living room off to keep the dogs out. Love the walk through
http://www.walmart.com/ip/North-States-3-in-1-Metal-Superyard-Portable-Playard-Gate/8456791

I have one similar to this for blocking off the stairs. It is tension mounted, but can be bolted. I chose to just do the tension mount. Love the walk through on this one as well.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/North-States-Deluxe-Easy-Close-Triple-Lock-Gate-Bronze/15572085

great options - the last one is $69 and free shipping via Walmart. I also found it on Amazon for $59 and free shipping.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I have the second one for our dogs. Of course it worked great when they were little, now they are 95 lb Mastiff puppies and can just push it down if needed, :lol: I get that "really Mom" look when I lock them in the laundry room.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I have the second one for our dogs. Of course it worked great when they were little, now they are 95 lb Mastiff puppies and can just push it down if needed, :lol: I get that "really Mom" look when I lock them in the laundry room.

I am totally shocked at how Hazel is always in "find food NOW" mode. She never stops. Scares me that she can eat so much and she can get sick, you know? Had I not come home soon enough that day she turned over the dog food bin, she may have done herself in that day with all she was eating. As much as I love the large breeds, I think I'll have to stick to the smaller dogs a while since the house I am in is so small. My 70 lb boy seems quite large in the living room. Seems I spend a lot of time stepping over or going around critter bodies lol. They all vanish when the vacuum cleaner comes out though.

dan0623_2000

A friend puts her animal food in empty plastic coffe containers. If she has more in a bag she puts it in the top shelfs of her cabinets with a latch on the cabinet. Unless your cat is Hudinni reincarnated it migth work for you

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I am totally shocked at how Hazel is always in "find food NOW" mode. She never stops. Scares me that she can eat so much and she can get sick, you know? Had I not come home soon enough that day she turned over the dog food bin, she may have done herself in that day with all she was eating. As much as I love the large breeds, I think I'll have to stick to the smaller dogs a while since the house I am in is so small. My 70 lb boy seems quite large in the living room. Seems I spend a lot of time stepping over or going around critter bodies lol. They all vanish when the vacuum cleaner comes out though.

Ours would probably eat the entire container of food if they could. We recently found out they were both lifting the lid on the containers and helping themselves to our Lab's food. Brats, lol. We've turned the containers sideways and up against the wall for now. The gate was to keep them in the laundry room when I had to mop the floors or if they were especially wet.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Ours would probably eat the entire container of food if they could. We recently found out they were both lifting the lid on the containers and helping themselves to our Lab's food. Brats, lol. We've turned the containers sideways and up against the wall for now. The gate was to keep them in the laundry room when I had to mop the floors or if they were especially wet.

Living on a farm-type property, we have a gravel driveway. Dirt and gravel come inside a lot so for the most part we remove our shoes prior to entering the house to minimize the girt we bring inside. In Winter I put area rugs down on the porcelain tile floor in the kitchen to minimize slipping by humans and critters since a few drops of water can result in an unintended skating accident on the porcelain tile floor lol.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Living on a farm-type property, we have a gravel driveway. Dirt and gravel come inside a lot so for the most part we remove our shoes prior to entering the house to minimize the girt we bring inside. In Winter I put area rugs down on the porcelain tile floor in the kitchen to minimize slipping by humans and critters since a few drops of water can result in an unintended skating accident on the porcelain tile floor lol.

We will be putting down some area rugs & runners soon ourselves. We are putting down laminate flooring and it is not nice to giant breed dogs especially when they get squirrely and decide to chase each other through the house.

acommondisaster

If you get one of those big white buckets and a gamma seal lid (you can get them off amazon for about $10) you can keep your pet food stored airtight to keep it fresh and it also keeps out ants. The gates SOMDGirl mentioned are great - no worries about a climbing.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
A friend puts her animal food in empty plastic coffe containers. If she has more in a bag she puts it in the top shelfs of her cabinets with a latch on the cabinet. Unless your cat is Hudinni reincarnated it migth work for you

I tend to buy in bulk since it's cheaper. So I buy dog food in #30-#40 size and cat food is #20 a bag. I do have a cat-proof storage container for the kitty food, and a tall one for the main dog food, just have to find a 2nd one for the puppy dog food that Hazel can't get into or knock over.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
We will be putting down some area rugs & runners soon ourselves. We are putting down laminate flooring and it is not nice to giant breed dogs especially when they get squirrely and decide to chase each other through the house.

yeah it's hard to find pet-friendly flooring that can be easily cleaned. I was thinking that maybe smaller tiles would be more pet friendly since the closer grout lines on smaller tiles would give them better footing on tile? Or a textured hardwood floor?

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
yeah it's hard to find pet-friendly flooring that can be easily cleaned. I was thinking that maybe smaller tiles would be more pet friendly since the closer grout lines on smaller tiles would give them better footing on tile? Or a textured hardwood floor?

Ours is textured laminate. I really didn't want a runner in the hallway but it's looking like I'm going to have to. Just a pain to vacuum.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Ours is textured laminate. I really didn't want a runner in the hallway but it's looking like I'm going to have to. Just a pain to vacuum.

speaking of vacuuming, they never get used to that thing, they all disappear when I turn it on LOL

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
speaking of vacuuming, they never get used to that thing, they all disappear when I turn it on LOL

Our one mastiff leaves and the other one follows me around barking at it. The one that leaves, Maggie, is the first one to growl at anything suspicious outside and Emma ( the anti-vacuum dog) is the first one to run on the porch, :lol:.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Our one mastiff leaves and the other one follows me around barking at it. The one that leaves, Maggie, is the first one to growl at anything suspicious outside and Emma ( the anti-vacuum dog) is the first one to run on the porch, :lol:.

Had a shepherd that used to bark and bite the vacuum. This was back when vacuums were still metal with that rubber bumper strip across the front. He pretty much ate that strip off the vacuum LOL