The Hookup Culture

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
If You Read Nothing Else This Week, Just Make Sure To Read This.

Do you ever read an article by someone and think, "MAN I wish I had written that!" That's how I felt when I read Heather Mac Donald's latest piece in the Weekly Standard, entitled "Neo-Victorianism on Campus." It's absolutely positively excellent, and I can't recommend it enough.

It's about the "bizarre hybrid of liberationist and traditionalist values" that we are watching unfold at universities which are implementing highly legalistic, technical policies to define consent in the context of the college students' sexual escapades. In essence, liberal feminists who are in no small part responsible for creating the hook-up culture to begin with, are now hilariously demanding that they be protected by complicated sexual consent rules.

In other words, liberal feminists are once again victimizing themselves. Surprise!

Claremont McKenna College and Occidental College, examples provided in Mac Donald's piece, each have huge sexual conduct policies and consent rules, full of legal mumb jumbo that sounds like this: "Effective consent consists of an affirmative, conscious decision by each participant to engage in mutually agreed upon (and the conditions of) sexual activity." Consent involves several "essential elements" which include "informed and reciprocal," "freely and actively given," "mutually understandable," "not indefinite," and "not unlimited." And best of all, it requires that, "All parties must demonstrate a clear and mutual understanding of the nature and scope of the act to which they are consenting and a willingness to do the same thing, at the same time, in the same way."

That'll put you in the mood, huh?

Amused_despair

oh boo hoo. NO means NO. If she says "NO" at any time it si stil lno. if she is incapcitated then it is NO. If you are so upset because you can't get a girl drunk and have your way or ignore her when she changes her mind then, just perhaps, you have some issues here.

BOP

oh boo hoo. NO means NO. If she says "NO" at any time it si stil lno. if she is incapcitated then it is NO. If you are so upset because you can't get a girl drunk and have your way or ignore her when she changes her mind then, just perhaps, you have some issues here.

You're overreacting....project much?

Try reading...it's fundamental.

dontknowwhy

I just wished fat, nasty, butch type lesbians adhered to the same rules.

Hijinx

Yes, because a young woman away at college is so much more at risk from rape from a lesbian than some frat boy. <insert incredulous look of derisive sarcasm here>

They have a name for that LUGS---Lesbian Until Graduation or until I get a good catch. LMAO

Amused_despair

Nope. Same amount of risk. (no sarcasm to insert)
BTW...sorry if I hit on a personal point with you

When I was 19 I almost got into a fight with two guys who wanted to go into this drunken girl’s room and rape her since she was passed out in her dorm room. I was the only one out several in the hallway of the dorm who made a stand, and if they hadn't backed down it would have been a quick fight because they were both bigger than me, but I wasn't backing down. I was in town with a friend visiting his girlfriend so I knew nobody there. So yeah, you hit on a personal point. That was 30 years ago and the same problem is still going on today. Some people raise their kids right, some don't. She shouldn't have gotten so drunk she passed out in her room. I told her so the next morning, after spending the night sitting in front of her door. Did she learn? Who knows? I never had a reason to go back. But just because someone is incapacitated is never an excuse to do whatever you want "just because."

Christy

b*tch rocket
So yeah, you hit on a personal point. "

:rolleyes: Okay, there is a HUGE difference between getting drunk and passing out and having some dude try and hop on you, than getting drunk and banging it out with some guy and then crying rape in the morning, or after your skanky pics are all over social media. And I'm not being all judgy because I was one of those skanks a time or two in my youth. HOWEVER, it never would have even occurred to me to cry rape. Young adults today (especially the girls) drive me insane because there really is no accountability. No one ever has to accept responsibility for their own poor judgement and behavior. Any stupid thing they do, or any failure on their part is blamed on someone else and requires endless hours of pyschological counseling so they can be told that their crazy, entitled, irresponsible behavior is not their fault. :banghead:

:rolleyes: Okay, there is a HUGE difference between getting drunk and passing out and having some dude try and hop on you, than getting drunk and banging it out with some guy and then crying rape in the morning, or after your skanky pics are all over social media. And I'm not being all judgy because I was one of those skanks a time or two in my youth. HOWEVER, it never would have even occurred to me to cry rape. Young adults today (especially the girls) drive me insane because there really is no accountability. No one ever has to accept responsibility for their own poor judgement and behavior. Any stupid thing they do, or any failure on their part is blamed on someone else and requires endless hours of pyschological counseling so they can be told that their crazy, entitled, irresponsible behavior is not their fault. :banghead:
Yes! Exactly! I completely agree, but didn't have the energy to put it in writing as you did so well!

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
this keeps popping up, but seems mostly like a repeat

Chicks on Right: Feminists unwittingly roll back the 'hook-up' culture

As Mac Donald writes, "the male is the sole guardian of female safety." If a guy has been drinking heavily, he's responsible for his behavior. If a girl has been drinking heavily, she's not responsible for her own behavior. In no other instance is this true (both sexes are responsible if they choose to drink and drive, for example).

In the case of John and Jane Doe at Occidental College, .... [repeat]

This, Mac Donald points out, is "emblematic not of 'rape culture' but of the emotional fallout from sexual liberation." Feminists years ago insisted they were equal to men on the "sexual battlefield" and were entitled to sexual freedom. Today's feminists are whining that university administrations must develop policies to protect them from mean, scary boys. They're far too helpless to have responsibility for their own sexual (sometimes promiscuous) behavior.

That's the disconnect that Mac Donald so brilliantly highlights. The solution? To reject the hook-up culture. She writes, "Just as girls can avoid the risk of what the feminists call 'rape' by not getting drunk and getting into bed with a guy whom they barely know, boys, too, can radically reduce the risk of a rape accusation by themselves not getting drunk and having sex with a girl whom they barely know ... Such efforts at self-control were made before, and can be made again."