Police Militarization

Obama's explanation on the subject August of this year...

"I think one of the great things about the United States has been our ability to maintain a distinction between our military and domestic law enforcement," said the president. "That helps preserve our civil liberties. That helps ensure that the military is accountable to civilian direction. And that has to be preserved. After 9/11, I think, understandably, a lot of folks saw local communities that were ill equipped for a potential catastrophic terrorist attack. And I think people in Congress, people of goodwill, decided we've got to make sure they get proper equipment to deal with threats that historically wouldn't arise in local communities."

So this makes me think that militarization of our domestic law enforcement is so that the executive administration has the abliity to deploy a military force without Congressional involvement.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Because they can, and the feds are helping out to keep us under their thumb.

Lock & load, Amerika!

Hank

my war
1924384_1475727722707933_6637338063531836107_n.jpg

Hijinx

After 911 a lot of money became available-----------------------Much of it was wasted.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Why what? What is police militarization to you?

I was asking why we're doing it. I had not seen what Kwillia posted before today, so I didn't know what the impetuous was to the build up. Of course, I'm not really sure I buy it, but now I at least know what the government is claiming their reasoning is.

itsrequired

I was asking why we're doing it. I had not seen what Kwillia posted before today, so I didn't know what the impetuous was to the build up. Of course, I'm not really sure I buy it, but now I at least know what the government is claiming their reasoning is.

What is the "it" you are asking about? Different people have different opinions about what exactly police milititarization is. What is it to you?

itsrequired

Obama's explanation on the subject August of this year...

"I think one of the great things about the United States has been our ability to maintain a distinction between our military and domestic law enforcement," said the president. "That helps preserve our civil liberties. That helps ensure that the military is accountable to civilian direction. And that has to be preserved. After 9/11, I think, understandably, a lot of folks saw local communities that were ill equipped for a potential catastrophic terrorist attack. And I think people in Congress, people of goodwill, decided we've got to make sure they get proper equipment to deal with threats that historically wouldn't arise in local communities."

So this makes me think that militarization of our domestic law enforcement is so that the executive administration has the abliity to deploy a military force without Congressional involvement.

How so? What force are you referring to? The FBI? ICE? GAO? I'm not sure which force this would be?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
What is the "it" you are asking about? Different people have different opinions about what exactly police milititarization is. What is it to you?
I wasn't aware of different opinions. It looks like you're looking for an argument, so I'll just let you run with that.

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return

Because for decades upon decades, politicians were only electable if they promised to be "hard on crime". It should be no surprise that more and more things are becoming crimes so these voters can feel they are getting their money's worth. This is exactly what the voters have been asking for.

itsrequired

I wasn't aware of different opinions. It looks like you're looking for an argument, so I'll just let you run with that.

I'm not looking for an argument. Some people believe police militarization is about the equipment they are using. Some people believe it's about specific tactics they are employing. Some think it's the interfacing with the military on various issues.

The term, like many things has become a blanket term for different things. I'm just trying to figure out what it means to you?

itsrequired

Kwilla thinks of police militarization in the context of the National Guard. Again, not looking for an argument, just trying to see your point of view.

H

Hodr

I always thought militarization referred to the greater use of military tactics and gear for situations that have always been handled just fine with traditional equipment. And the fact that in order to justify having the equipment for the extraordinary times in which it may be called for, it has to actually be used on a regular basis.

When you see police officers in full Camos (why is this ever a thing in a city?), assault rifles, and LAV-ATs responding to sit-in style protests, or performing no-knock raids on homes where people are suspected of non-violent offences (like downloading music illegally), that leads to claims of militarization.

Having equipment available for when it is needed isn't an issue. It's using the equipment just to justify having it that is an issue.

It used to be that use of a fire-hose to disperse a protest was considered excessive. Now we can gas, shoot (rubber bullets and nets), pepper spray, and tase groups of protestors without the majority of people batting an eye.

We aren't experiencing an Arab Spring here in the US. Most of our protestors aren't attacking the police en mass with bricks or guns. What we repeatedly see are scenes like thatgroup of college kids who were sitting still on a curb as an officer in full riot gear casually walks by and unloads an entire can of pepper spreay point blank into their faces.

itsrequired

I always thought militarization referred to the greater use of military tactics and gear for situations that have always been handled just fine with traditional equipment. And the fact that in order to justify having the equipment for the extraordinary times in which it may be called for, it has to actually be used on a regular basis.

I don't get what you are saying about things which have been handled just fine with traditional equipment. Several instances of police officers being out gunned or in jepardy because they don't have protective equipment comes to mind, but the one which stands out the most is the LA bank robbery. Which equipment is it you are talking about? Guns, APC's bullet proof vests?

When you see police officers in full Camos (why is this ever a thing in a city?), assault rifles, and LAV-ATs responding to sit-in style protests, or performing no-knock raids on homes where people are suspected of non-violent offences (like downloading music illegally), that leads to claims of militarization.

I can't think of a single police department which uses camoflage bdu's which has no forestry in their city. Not saying there isn't any, I just can't think of any. I can't speak for all law enforcement, but have pretty good information about law enforcement in Maryland. No knock warrants aren't conducted on places where there isn't a reason indicated by the crime, preservation of evidence or criminal history of the subject or subjects connected to the residence.

Having equipment available for when it is needed isn't an issue. It's using the equipment just to justify having it that is an issue.

Do you have examples of this?

It used to be that use of a fire-hose to disperse a protest was considered excessive. Now we can gas, shoot (rubber bullets and nets), pepper spray, and tase groups of protestors without the majority of people batting an eye.

How would you have the police dispurse illegal protests?

We aren't experiencing an Arab Spring here in the US. Most of our protestors aren't attacking the police en mass with bricks or guns. What we repeatedly see are scenes like thatgroup of college kids who were sitting still on a curb as an officer in full riot gear casually walks by and unloads an entire can of pepper spreay point blank into their faces.

Do you have an example of police casually walking by and unloading pepper spray on college kids sitting on a curb? I have never seen or heard anything like that.

I know the National Guard, but never heard anyone use them in the context of police militarization. This kinda goes to my last post to MAlice.
Really? It's what they do and why we have them. Here... hope this helps.

First Line of Defense
The National Guard can be the country's first line of defense against invaders. The federal or state government can call out the National Guard if the country is invaded.

Air Guard
The Air National Guard provides aid in emergency situations from the air using helicopters and airplanes. Air National Guardsmen are reservists for the U.S. Air Force.

Domestic Disasters
In the case of emergencies, such as floods, hurricanes and other natural disasters, Guardsmen are called to do whatever is needed.

Suppressing Rebellion
In times of civil unrest and rioting, the National Guard helps cities and states keep the peace.

Homeland Security
With the threat of terrorism all around, the National Guard maintains a constant presence at airports, train stations, bus stations and state borders.

Serving in Times of War
Guardsmen are trained soldiers and serve overseas in times of war if needed.

Identification
The National Guard is made up of men and women who maintain a career by day and participate in military training on nights and weekends.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_4882119_what-duties-national-guard.html