"Calibration Error"

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
CHICAGO — Early voting in Illinois got off to a rocky start Monday, as votes being cast for Republican candidates were transformed into votes for Democrats.

Republican state representative candidate Jim Moynihan went to vote Monday at the Schaumburg Public Library.

“I tried to cast a vote for myself and instead it cast the vote for my opponent,” Moynihan said. “You could imagine my surprise as the same thing happened with a number of races when I tried to vote for a Republican and the machine registered a vote for a Democrat.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-changes-gop-votes-to-dem-in-illinois-county/

So_what

Yes I'm an MPD, But who's
I'm shocked!

Attachments

• etrade-kid-e1346879436776.jpg
    etrade-kid-e1346879436776.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 149

SamSpade

I did think it strange that a "calibration error" would cause a Republican vote to ALWAYS register as a Democrat vote on a machine. It seems more likely if it was a touch screen that it would do nothing at all.

GregV814

Well, if it was a computer glitch, wouldn't it make as many errors the other way? And, wouldnt we see a tidal wave of ABC/NBC/CNN/CBS coverage about it?

SamSpade

Well, if it was a computer glitch, wouldn't it make as many errors the other way? And, wouldnt we see a tidal wave of ABC/NBC/CNN/CBS coverage about it?

Without more information, I am guessing that "calibration" must refer to the location on the touch screen. If it's off, it might return an error relating to another field.

But that's weird - you would think the most likely error would be nothing. And very, very strange for it to come up Democrat for any Republican candidate.

Vince

Ya'll are making this too hard. It's simple. Dems think they're going to lose and they cheat. What's hard to understand. :shrug:

SamSpade

Ya'll are making this too hard. It's simple. Dems think they're going to lose and they cheat. What's hard to understand. :shrug:

That is what I suspect - moreover, someone tampered with a few machines rather than all of them. But you can't expect an accusation to be legitimate without reasonable proof. Suspicious behavior isn't proof but extremely unlikely behavior tends to be.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Just early voted today in Hillsborough County. Paper ballots with sharpies to fill in the ovals. So glad they dumped the electronic voting in 2007, and you can only vote in your designated precinct. The ballots are printed up after you are logged in, to make sure you only get to vote for the contests in your district, and not anyone else's. And there is a paper trail. Costs a bit more, but well worth it, except to those that pay no taxes to fund such at all.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Without more information, I am guessing that "calibration" must refer to the location on the touch screen. If it's off, it might return an error relating to another field.

But that's weird - you would think the most likely error would be nothing. And very, very strange for it to come up Democrat for any Republican candidate.

We deal with this exact issue every day...the touch screens for our ship control systems have to be calibrated when delivered, to match the GUI with the physical touches on the resistive overlay membrane. On occasion, they get wacked and lose that calibration. Touching well outside a radio button icon will still work..sometimes..when touching the icon stops working. The calibration procedure is very simple and the calibration coefficients are usually stored in the device boot memory (EEPROM or eq). It would be stupid easy for any $20/hr tech to purposely introduce a "bias" in the calibration of the touch areas. It's equally plausible that, like our own GUI products, the calibration on the machine that raised all this hullabaloo got wacked by random accident.

mamatutu

mama to two
Moynihan was interviewed on Fox today. He said when the error happened, he called for an election judge, who was not too helpful. He said by trial and error he figured it out. If you hit the center of the square, it would check the square directly above, as in his opponent. He finally learned that if you pressed the right bottom corner of the square, it would work correctly.

I was an election judge in Calvert for three years. I am glad I didn't have to deal with obvious voter fraud. But, who knows, it could have been happening under my very nose. Somd is pretty solid Repub. Hold on for the ride, y'all! Wheeeeee!

Last edited: