Wawa Gas

KDENISE977

Just an FYI, the price of regular gas at the La Plata Wawa is $ 2.87.:yay:

That's awesome !! I always get gas at Wawa. However, someone just told me this morning that it's bad for my truck? He told me that Wawa gas contains more of something or other chemical that is bad for your engine? :confused:

Is this true? I have a Toyota and I plan on keeping it till at least 200k and don't want it to die on me

nobody really

I need a nap
That's awesome !! I always get gas at Wawa. However, someone just told me this morning that it's bad for my truck? He told me that Wawa gas contains more of something or other chemical that is bad for your engine? :confused:

Is this true? I have a Toyota and I plan on keeping it till at least 200k and don't want it to die on me

I've never heard that, but i was telling someone the other day that my car seems to act odd when I use Mobile gas. I always use WaWa, have been for years now, never had or heard of anything bad about wawa gas

luvmygdaughters

I've been using Wawa and Shell gas for years, never had a problem. However, when I use Citgo, my fill up doesn't seem to last as a long. I can usually fill up on Sundays and providing I don't have to go anywhere but work and home, it will last me till Saturday. I commute from Leonardtown to La plata Mon thru Fri.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I noticed this morning that the Wawa in both PF and Dunkirk is selling for $2.99/gallon. Been using Wawa almost exclusively for years and have never had an issue with their gas. I drive from Lusby to Alexandria 5 days a weeks and put thousands of miles on my car a year so I would definitely notice if there was an issue with their gas.

dave1959

WaWa gas is generic unbranded fuel, It could be Shell, Exxon, Citgo or anything else that the terminals have left over or too much of. Generally it will have less or no detergents / additives. It is sub-par fuel.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I've never heard that, but i was telling someone the other day that my car seems to act odd when I use Mobile gas. I always use WaWa, have been for years now, never had or heard of anything bad about wawa gas

The only consistent (and very minor) difference in the gasoline sold at any station compared to another is the additives they might put it in it. The bulk gasoline itself could be from about anywhere at any given time. I've gotten "bad" gas a few times over the years but it was pretty obviously due to tank contamination and/or inadequate maintenance of the pump system (filters).

KDENISE977

POSTED FROM YAHOO

"So, this is my life and what I do. Im not prefacing saying my words are chisled in stone...but they should be.

All petroleum products in a given market are 99% the same fuel. It comes from the same refineries, delivered through the same pipeline etc. One it reaches a ditribution Terminal, additives are mixed into the gas before it is sent to the stations. These additive are performance improves and detergents to keep fuel and combustion systems clean. This is pracitically the same regardless of the company you buy gas from.

The difference is in the additives. The US EPA assigns an LOC "lowest allowable concentration" of additives for fuel. High volume marketing companies like WAWA or Sheets but a bunch of gas tat simply meets the governments standards. Branded stations, (BP, Exxon, SHell, branded with the name of a true oil company) are far more vested in turning out a highest quality product. The treat rates for their products is often 200 to 400% of LOC. More additive means more power, cleaner engine and better gas mileage.
Source:
20 yr master mechanic now operations manager for an oil company"

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
All gas is the same until it gets to its final destination (ie: Wawa, Sheetz, Shell, etc.). Those companies can and do add things to it but nothing that is going to "harm" your vehicle.

dave1959

POSTED FROM YAHOO

"So, this is my life and what I do. Im not prefacing saying my words are chisled in stone...but they should be.

All petroleum products in a given market are 99% the same fuel. It comes from the same refineries, delivered through the same pipeline etc. One it reaches a ditribution Terminal, additives are mixed into the gas before it is sent to the stations. These additive are performance improves and detergents to keep fuel and combustion systems clean. This is pracitically the same regardless of the company you buy gas from.

The difference is in the additives. The US EPA assigns an LOC "lowest allowable concentration" of additives for fuel. High volume marketing companies like WAWA or Sheets but a bunch of gas tat simply meets the governments standards. Branded stations, (BP, Exxon, SHell, branded with the name of a true oil company) are far more vested in turning out a highest quality product. The treat rates for their products is often 200 to 400% of LOC. More additive means more power, cleaner engine and better gas mileage.
Source:
20 yr master mechanic now operations manager for an oil company"

What she said....

H

Hodr

What she said....

I may not be a 20 year master mechanic (though I doubt that Yahoo poster was either, in truth), but I do know a bit about engines and fuel. The additives come in three types (four, if you count Ethanol as an additive).

Detergents (and corrosion inhibitors): These only provide "performance" if you have considerable build-up of contaminants in your fuel system and if used over time. That said, they tend to lower the energy density of the fuel, so you lose power today to potentially save power tomorrow. Let's call it a wash.

Octane boosters: The effect that these have on the fuel is literally labeled, and using a higher octane fuel than is necessary to prevent pre-detonation (pinging) doesn't provide additional benefit.

Lubricants: Like detergents, only provides a benefit when needed. Adding more lubricant than the minimum wont make your pistons extra slippery, it can actually gum them up (like adding more grease to a bearing than is necessary).

And as for Ethanol, the only benefit that provides is keeping farmers employed. It is less energy dense than regular gas and has corrosive properties that are harmful to rubber/plastic components.

Bottom line, I would feel much better about buying gas from a 3 year old WaWa station than a 20 year old Shell, as the biggest likely issue with the fuel would be contaminants that come from the old tanks/pumps. And I may be showing my age here, but does anyone else remember back when Shell wasn't a premium brand, it was actually the cheapo fuel station?

And I may be showing my age here, but does anyone else remember back when Shell wasn't a premium brand, it was actually the cheapo fuel station?

:howdy: I do. The only time I buy Shell gas nowadays is when I am EMPTY and there is nowhere else around. Seriously. In the 12.5 years we've lived here, I've bought Shell gas twice. Once in L'town, put 11.75 gallons in a 12 gallon tank and once at the one on 235 by Sotterly (had to tow the truck to the station because it ran out in front of Dean Lumber.

I run almost nothing but WaWa/Sheetz/BJs/Pilot/Flyng J gas in my vehicles. Couple hundred thousand (over 600K) miles in the last 12 years and never a problem.

Midnightrider

I may not be a 20 year master mechanic (though I doubt that Yahoo poster was either, in truth), but I do know a bit about engines and fuel. The additives come in three types (four, if you count Ethanol as an additive).

Detergents (and corrosion inhibitors): These only provide "performance" if you have considerable build-up of contaminants in your fuel system and if used over time. That said, they tend to lower the energy density of the fuel, so you lose power today to potentially save power tomorrow. Let's call it a wash.

Octane boosters: The effect that these have on the fuel is literally labeled, and using a higher octane fuel than is necessary to prevent pre-detonation (pinging) doesn't provide additional benefit.

Lubricants: Like detergents, only provides a benefit when needed. Adding more lubricant than the minimum wont make your pistons extra slippery, it can actually gum them up (like adding more grease to a bearing than is necessary).

And as for Ethanol, the only benefit that provides is keeping farmers employed. It is less energy dense than regular gas and has corrosive properties that are harmful to rubber/plastic components.

Bottom line, I would feel much better about buying gas from a 3 year old WaWa station than a 20 year old Shell, as the biggest likely issue with the fuel would be contaminants that come from the old tanks/pumps. And I may be showing my age here, but does anyone else remember back when Shell wasn't a premium brand, it was actually the cheapo fuel station?

this is pretty much dead on. the guy that wrote that other peice was trying to sell you on "premium" gas.

dave1959

You are very right... But, those additives are what make fuels different. Really doesn't matter if you use them or like them but they are different. That is the difference between WaWa and Shell. With Wawa you do not know what you are getting, With Shell you do.. Cars are like people, Different people run different on different foods and some cars run different on different fuels....doesn't make one or the other better, Just different..

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
All gas is the same until it gets to its final destination (ie: Wawa, Sheetz, Shell, etc.). Those companies can and do add things to it but nothing that is going to "harm" your vehicle.
I worry more about the tanks its stored in than what they put into it. The old gas station that was in front of Queen Anne apartments used to have about an 80/20 gas water mix.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You are very right... But, those additives are what make fuels different. Really doesn't matter if you use them or like them but they are different. That is the difference between WaWa and Shell. With Wawa you do not know what you are getting, With Shell you do.. Cars are like people, Different people run different on different foods and some cars run different on different fuels....doesn't make one or the other better, Just different..

The only additives that [can] affect how your car drives in the short(er) term are those that affect the octane rating. It would be a total violation of the law if WaWa's 89 octane fuel differed from Sunoco's in that respect.