Muslim Woman Puts ‘Smack Down’ on Fellow Believers

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Muslim Woman Puts ‘Smack Down’ on Fellow Believers Demanding America Pay Them More in Food Stamps

There’s probably a lot of truth to the oft-repeated criticism that social media disconnects us from the real world and from each other.

But sometimes it can be a medium that sparks real and meaningful conversation.

Case in point is what happened with this simple Facebook post when a Georgia woman decided to take on the controversial issue of Muslims on food stamps asking for accommodations that accord with Islamic standards:

Screen-Shot-2014-10-21-at-4.14.43-PM.jpg

Somali Group Pushes For Non-Pork Food Shelf

mamatutu

mama to two
Good for her! It gets really, really old to see the demands/complaints of the people that get free stuff in America; no matter who they are. Disgusting, really.

If you choose to immigrate to the US, then you need to adjust to the American way. If you cannot do that because of custom/tradition/religious beliefs or whatever, you need to go back to from whence you came. Period.
No more demanding bacon signs be removed, certain dress for women at a public pool, etc.

Last edited:

Amused_despair

I think food stamps are important to help keep people from starving, but the getting of them should be an inconvenience. They should have to go to an office and wait in line and they should be actual stamps, not a debit card. When they use them it should be apparent to everyone around that they are using "Food stamps." There should be a bit of shame in having to use them. It should not be something that is encouraged and accepted as "OK." There should be limits on what may or may not be purchased with them: no junk food and such. There should be a time limit on how long one may be on them and if you have 3 people in your family when you go on them than that is the amount you get, you don't get to increase it just by having more kids. But then again, I am not in charge so I guess things will stay the same.

SamSpade

After reading through it once I noticed the use of "God" instead of Allah, a usage I rarely hear among Muslims.

So I wonder if it was written by a bona fide Muslim, since it "explains" things about Islam that a Muslim would not need to be told.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
After reading through it once I noticed the use of "God" instead of Allah, a usage I rarely hear among Muslims.

So I wonder if it was written by a bona fide Muslim, since it "explains" things about Islam that a Muslim would not need to be told.

i'll agree with that point, but yet if you follow the other link, Somali Muslims whining about Halal food and pork

H

Hodr

I'm not a religious scholar, but my understanding is that the word Allah literally translates to "the god", rather than "a god", and is used in place of God's actual name. This is the same thing we do in english, therefore the word Allah should be equivalent to the word God.

The argument can also be made that they both refer to the same deity (Islam, Judiasm, and Christianity all being Abrahamic religions).

SamSpade

I'm not a religious scholar, but my understanding is that the word Allah literally translates to "the god", rather than "a god", and is used in place of God's actual name. This is the same thing we do in english, therefore the word Allah should be equivalent to the word God.

The argument can also be made that they both refer to the same deity (Islam, Judiasm, and Christianity all being Abrahamic religions).

I don't see it that way, because the kinds of thoughts, actions and so forth attributed to Allah do not square with "God" in other religions.
You would not find the God of Judaism declaring animosity towards Jews and Christians.

It's like two people believing in different names for Santa Claus, but one goes around tormenting children, and one gives them toys. They are not the same thing.

Roman and Greek writers of the ancient era also sometimes referred to "God", but it's not clear if they refer to Zeus or some other understanding of a Supreme Being.
Paul from time to time capitalized on this concept, as some Greeks supposed there must be something greater than their gods.

All that said, if you don't believe in God, it only amounts to "my imaginary friend is better than your imaginary friend". But in no way do I regard the Christian God and the Muslim God as the same being - they say things that are far too different.

H

Hodr

I wasn't attempting to make the argument that the deity each word refers to is equivalent, or is treated the same, just that the words are technically equivalent (both used in place of the proper name for the single deity of their religion).

Like saying the the spanish words el Presidente literally translates into "the President" in english. Both Mexico and the US refer to our leader as a President. That doesn't mean these are the same person or that they have the same powers/influence or are treated equally by their constituents.