Charles Bolstering Emergency Services

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I have the utmost respect for people who volunteer their time. Chuck county is getting way too populated to rely strickly on volunteers anymore. I've been to plenty of places where the population isn't nearly as high yet they have paid EMS and fire depts. It's time we gave our volunteers some help.

CMC122

Go Braves!
It won't solve any volunteer relations. But it'll be great for the county. Too bad my EMT just expired yesterday:bawl:

K

Kizzy

Originally posted by vraiblonde
*ahem* :bonk:

Sorry vrai - I thought it would be ok since I linked it.

Anyway, it clearly states in the article there will a 1% increase in property tax. This is what I'm wondering. Currently, residences pay 1% of the assessed value in property tax, so a $300,000 house is around $3,000 a year in property tax. So is that an increase of 1% of that calculated rate, making it an addition $300 a year or an additional 1% of the assessed value, doubling property tax?

Before you think "double property tax" it is crazy, keep in mind, Prince George's County had to double theirs for the same reason many, many years ago. :ohwell:

Sure, Charles County needs a paid fire and EMS, no doubt, but it is going to be at an expensive price tag it seems. There is no way they can continue to handle the increased population, constant calls on simply good faith volunteers.

K

Kizzy

Ok bill came in today. :lol:

ESF $57.00
CNTY .962
FIRE .064
STAT .132

You add up the CNTY, FIRE and STAT and it comes out to be 1.158 (use to be 1.13 and 1.08 year before)

On a 200K house you divide that by 100 = 2000 then multipy that by 1.158, which equals $2316, then add the $57.00 for ESF (Enviornmental Service Fee) to come up with the final tax $2373

I'm sure they will have to do future increases, but that wasn't too bad to start. I could have been worse.

Elle

Happy Camper!
The primary change involves a heavier reliance on paid staff members. The commissioners have agreed to hire 10 "advanced life support" employees -- five paramedics and five emergency medical technicians -- for the upcoming fiscal year, bringing the operational staff to 28 people. In fiscal 2006 and 2007, the recommendations include adding 48 paid personnel to life support teams

I wonder if they'll have the you have to live in the county to apply stipulation