Dinner ideas

calvcopf

Do you have a good recipe for the crock pot? I have made whole chicken, chili and roasts in the past in the crock pot. Looking for something different that is tasty, not very expensive or too spicy for little kids. Or if you have a good idea, even if not a crock pot recipe, that would help too. I am a dad that tries to cook sometimes to help out, so it needs to be easy :lmao:

mamatutu

mama to two
Fool proof oven roast. In fact, I made one tonight. It's easy, as well, and you will be hero dad! Leftovers are great for sandwiches the next day.

Preheat oven to bake 500. Season roast as desired. Cook 7 minutes/pound. After cooking time, turn oven off. Let stand in oven for 2-1/2 hours. Do not open oven door. Serve with your faves. Ours are mashed potatoes/gravy, corn and salad.

Any roast will work, but the better the roast cut, the better. Roasts are expensive. I only buy on sale. Tonight I used a top round roast. If there is enough for sandwiches the next day, it is very economical. I like to make French bread au jus dip sandwiches with the leftovers.

Last edited:

chevylover

PIP ~ My Baby Boy!
My favorites are BBQ, Shredded chicken tacos and Beef Vegetable Soup.

BBQ is easy. Pork roast, seasoned with salt/pepper, 1/2 cup water or broth. Cook on low for 8 hours (mine is usually in there around 10). Drain, pick out bones if any, shred, add BBQ sauce. Serve with cole slaw.

Shredded Chicken Tacos. Boneless skinless chicken breasts, a package of mild taco seasoning and a jar of mild salsa. Cook on low 8 hours. shred chicken and serve with taco shells and toppings.

BEef Vegetable Soup. 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables. 1 family size can tomato soup. 1 pound of stew meat. 1 large container of beef broth. And 1 packet of Lipton beefy onion soup mix.

MarieB

I make chicken for tacos / quesadillas / burritos in the crock pot. Cook chicken breast in a jar of salsa (mild for the kids) with some taco seasoning (optional). Shred it and let it simmer for a bit before serving it. My favorite is chicken, spinach, and mushroom quesadillas.

It's really hard to find good crock pot recipes. Most of them end up having cream cheese or heavy soups in them. If you are near Ollie's, you can usually pick up some good Williams Sonoma cookbooks for pretty cheap. There are a few that are specifically for weeknight and quick one pot dinners. I love the weeknight one, because they take one protein and use it for several nights' dinner

Tami2red

My favorite is crock pot pizza! Put a thin layer of oil (I use sub dressing or olive oil) on the bottom. A layer of sauce. Then a THIN layer of mixed up biscuit mix. Then whatever toppings you like (if you use anything canned like mushrooms make sure to drain well). Then cheese. Cook on high til sauce is bubbly and cheese melted. YUMMY! :drool:

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
I found an idea for crockpot spaghetti. I will try it out first before I let you know if it's any good.

But you should go to pinterest, a ton of ideas to help you out

Homer J

Power Chord
I made Crockpot Chicken Adobo yesterday. Very easy to make and very yummy.

1 Small sweet onion, sliced

8 Cloves garlic, crushed

3/4 Cup low sodium soy sauce

1/2 Cup white vinegar

3-4 pounds boneless skinless thighs

Place chicken in a slow cooker.
In a small bowl mix the onion, garlic, soy sauce, and vinegar, and pour over the chicken.
Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.