Soft Senior Dry food

smts

My Sheepdog is a very old 10 1/2 yrs. He has not been eating much lately and I come to believe that he only eats the soft wet parts that we feed him and leaves the dry crunchy food in his bowl. He used to eat all of his food even if we gave him just a little. I am beginning to think that maybe his gums or teeth are bothering him and it hurts to chew. He is a very anxious dog with pretty advanced hip dysplasia and loss of muscle tone in his back legs. Can anyone recommend a dry but soft food that will also help with his muscle tone? He currently eats ProPlan as recommended by our Vet. We add some wet food as well as either broth or gravy to help soften it up but I am now worried about the lack of food he eats.

Thanks

Roman

It know that it's expensive these days, to take any animal to the Vet, but it does sound as though he might have some pain in his mouth. Maybe ask the Vet if s/he can give the pup some antibiotic, to help soothe the inflammation that might be causing the pain. Infections in the mouth are hard on the pup, and also cause inflammation. This would only be a temporary fix. There is also Care Credit that can help, with no finance charge if paid within a certain time frame. It can be used for both animal, and human medical care. Until then, give him the food that s/he is used too, but wet it down just like you mentioned. Changing the diet at this age, can cause some GI issues. Well wishes to your pup.

RPMDAD

smts, you can try adding some water to the dry food, this will soften it up. We have an older cocker who had some dental problems and had a bunch of teeth removed and he empties his bowl every day. Agree with Roman, have the vet make sure he isn't having any gum, teeth, oral issues.