HVAC Carrier A/C needs an Outside Air Temp Sensor replaced

wintersprings

The unit has a Code of “E3” on the inside Temperature Display, which from the Troubleshooting section of the manual, say's “Outdoor Temp sensor reading out of range”.

Over the last year the OAT reading has dropped (When its 32 outside it read 28, then months later when it was 50, it read 20). This sensor has been slowly going bad.

Carrier 25hcr comfort series, Model #25hcr336a300, ser num 3307e06304

We have full use of the A/C in both heat and A/C mode, so no hurry to fix.

Can some one point me to a place to just buy the sensor? I also need the part number if you have it?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Are you looking for the outdoor thermostat kit? If so I think the part number you are looking for is KHAOT0301FST. I've seen them listed for about $140.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
Could very well be tied to your tstat and not a Carrier specific part; do you have a straight hp system or is the sensor used to bring on a back-up heat source? This would determine the urgency of fixing it. Honeywell makes 95% of the stats on the market and you may be able to order the sensor by the stat you have.

wintersprings

Are you looking for the outdoor thermostat kit? If so I think the part number you are looking for is KHAOT0301FST. I've seen them listed for about $140.

Looking at the outside compressor unit, I can see the OAT sensor (Mounted to the side of the unit), it has 2 wires running back inside (Prob to the main circuit board).

Is there a circuit diagram for Carrier HVAC units available?

wintersprings

Could very well be tied to your tstat and not a Carrier specific part; do you have a straight hp system or is the sensor used to bring on a back-up heat source? This would determine the urgency of fixing it. Honeywell makes 95% of the stats on the market and you may be able to order the sensor by the stat you have.

It is used to bring on the back up gas system, when temps drop below 30 deg. Its mounted on the outside Carrier unit if that helps.

So for now the gas heat is all I have when I get that error code.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
Looking at the outside compressor unit, I can see the OAT sensor (Mounted to the side of the unit), it has 2 wires running back inside (Prob to the main circuit board).

Is there a circuit diagram for Carrier HVAC units available?

It should tie back to your tstat, pop the cover and see if it attaches to the tstat wire. Should be able to look at your tstat model # and order a replacement

wintersprings

It should tie back to your tstat, pop the cover and see if it attaches to the tstat wire. Should be able to look at your tstat model # and order a replacement

Inside TSTAT is also made by Carrier, its called a Programmable Dual Fuel Thermostats. TSTAT-18SI.

So after looking at the manual, on page 1, it says to use a Part Number TSTATXXSEN01-B sensor (That came with the TSTAT). Is there a part store here in Lexington Park that may have these?

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
Inside TSTAT is also made by Carrier, its called a Programmable Dual Fuel Thermostats. TSTAT-18SI.

So after looking at the manual, on page 1, it says to use a Part Number TSTATXXSEN01-B sensor (That came with the TSTAT). Is there a part store here in Lexington Park that may have these?
Pretty sure it's a Honeywell stat made for Carrier; take all your info with you and stop in Aireco on Monday and see if they can help, I would take the sensor as well if it was me. That or go online and order the sensor you need.

wintersprings

update to Carrier Outside Temp Sensor problem

Part Number is TSTATXXSEN01B to fix the problem.

Good Installation instructions are Here, also a chart to test the sensor for the correct resistance.

https://dms.hvacpartners.com/docs/1009/public/00/ag-tstat-10.pdf

Place to buy is here for $21

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Temperature-Sensor/TSTATXXSEN01B/2389630

I have 2 Carrier Heat Pump Systems with 2 inside Carrier Control Units.

One outside temp sensor went bad (5 years after install), and now the second Carrier unit has lost its Outside Temp sensor (Reading 10 degrees high, so went bad 9 years after install.)

wintersprings

Wow, over 4 years later finally had to replace it?

First AC unit was fixed 4 years ago, this is a second unit, as the house has a 2 zone system, thus 2 AC units.

I googled Carrier Outside Temp Sensor, and the 6th result was my post from 4 years ago, telling me how to fix it.

Saved some research, as I sort of remembered fixing the other unit, but 4 years is a long time.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
First AC unit was fixed 4 years ago, this is a second unit, as the house has a 2 zone system, thus 2 AC units.

I googled Carrier Outside Temp Sensor, and the 6th result was my post from 4 years ago, telling me how to fix it.

Saved some research, as I sort of remembered fixing the other unit, but 4 years is a long time.
:yay:
I know the feeling. Getting old sucks.
Good job on the fix.