UNC scam classes

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Time to put the student in student athlete.

Willingham sat at her kitchen table this week, watching the University of North Carolina admit to nearly two decades of academic fraud. All she could think about were the athletes she tutored who she says were terribly unprepared for real classes at UNC.

Nearly half of 3,100 students were athletes Many, she says, could barely read.

Gerald Gurney, the former president of the National Association of Academic Advisers for Athletics, called the UNC fraud the largest and most nefarious academic scandal in the history of the NCAA.

The suspect classes were started by a professor's assistant in the African-American studies program (AFAM) who had sympathy for those at the school who were "not the best and the brightest."

Willingham says it's because they were admitted to UNC just to play -- and they couldn't keep up in the classroom the way they could keep up on the field, she says.

Former head football coach John Bunting, for instance, told investigators he knew of the paper classes. His successor, Butch Davis, who was fired a few years back for his role, also admitted some knowledge.

And the current basketball coach, Roy Williams, has adamantly denied knowing anything.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/25/us/unc-report-academic-fraud/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Hijinx

This is no surprise to anyone , including the NCAA and UNC is not the only one doing it.

Anyone who states they knew nothing about it is lying.

Been going on for years/.

BOP

This is no surprise to anyone , including the NCAA and UNC is not the only one doing it.

Anyone who states they knew nothing about it is lying.

Been going on for years/.

True, but UNC looks like it's going to be the sacrificial goat.

tommyjo

Time to put the student in student athlete.

This isn't about all student athletes...in typical fashion you condemn all for the actions of some.

This is about football and men's basketball. In other words, "revenue generating sports". 1/2 of 3100 total students over 18 years...that's not a lot of individuals per year...but it does fit the revenue generators and they generated a lot of direct and indirect revenue at UNC.

The school isn't going to risk a problem of this sort over a kid on the women's volleyball team.

BOP

This isn't about all student athletes...in typical fashion you condemn all for the actions of some.

This is about football and men's basketball. In other words, "revenue generating sports". 1/2 of 3100 total students over 18 years...that's not a lot of individuals per year...but it does fit the revenue generators and they generated a lot of direct and indirect revenue at UNC.

The school isn't going to risk a problem of this sort over a kid on the women's volleyball team.

So...sexism?

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?

Hijinx

And let's not forget the people who excel at these sports and not at academics.
Doesn't it have a lot to do with that?
And it makes the colleges look diversified.

PeoplesElbow

I love the way the tobacco road schools brag about their high academic standards and then this gets thrown into the spotlight.

Really though the Ivy league schools are the same, a complete moron gets a B, reason being most come from wealthy families or are legacies that donate tons of money. Had a friend go to Princeton he said their goal was to create a scholar and gentleman but they would setting for 1 of the 2.

Midnightrider

And let's not forget the people who excel at these sports and not at academics.
Doesn't it have a lot to do with that?
And it makes the colleges look diversified.

Colleges are very diverse already, there is no reason to let in any stupid people EXCEPT for bringing in money.

Homeland

I love the way the tobacco road schools brag about their high academic standards and then this gets thrown into the spotlight.

Really though the Ivy league schools are the same, a complete moron gets a B, reason being most come from wealthy families or are legacies that donate tons of money. Had a friend go to Princeton he said their goal was to create a scholar and gentleman but they would setting for 1 of the 2.

I went out to lunch with some people today and we were talking about this. One of the women went to Notre Dame, one guy went to Brown and others went to schools with legacy admissions. The conclusion from my group is your friend from Princeton may have seen this there, but we didn't find it to be true at other legacy schools. Granted, Brown is the only school which is "Ivy League" but the others have the same make up as far as influence and prestige.

The conclusion is that most of the professors at these institutions are tenured and couldn't care at all about some trust fund student. Most of the trust fund students we knew had gone to the best prep schools and had educational advantages that most other students did not. I'm not saying your friend is wrong, but maybe his experience was isolated to a time, person or perception. Logic would indicate that there is not really that much of a reason for a tenured professor to care what donations are made to a school.

SG_Player1974

I would just LOVE to see this report. Especially the part that depicts the racial makeup however, since the report seems to most likely focus on mens football and basketball I guess the makeup is pretty apparent.

I'm all in favor of the BEST candidate getting a spot at the school they want BUT, since the advent of EEO and diversity factors it seems that the best are often overlooked to ensure that the college's graduating class looks "colorful." This is just a byproduct of that!

PeoplesElbow

I went out to lunch with some people today and we were talking about this. One of the women went to Notre Dame, one guy went to Brown and others went to schools with legacy admissions. The conclusion from my group is your friend from Princeton may have seen this there, but we didn't find it to be true at other legacy schools. Granted, Brown is the only school which is "Ivy League" but the others have the same make up as far as influence and prestige.

The conclusion is that most of the professors at these institutions are tenured and couldn't care at all about some trust fund student. Most of the trust fund students we knew had gone to the best prep schools and had educational advantages that most other students did not. I'm not saying your friend is wrong, but maybe his experience was isolated to a time, person or perception. Logic would indicate that there is not really that much of a reason for a tenured professor to care what donations are made to a school.

He has pretty much decided that the whole thing is nothing but a money making scheme. On his first math test he got the highest grade in the class, I think it was an 80 something, he said the average was a 30 something. He got an A, everyone else got a B+. He was there on scholarship and has no legacy ties to the school, after he graduated from Princeton he ended up going to Johns Hopkins medical school and is now an orthopedic surgeon.

PeoplesElbow

I would just LOVE to see this report. Especially the part that depicts the racial makeup however, since the report seems to most likely focus on mens football and basketball I guess the makeup is pretty apparent.

I'm all in favor of the BEST candidate getting a spot at the school they want BUT, since the advent of EEO and diversity factors it seems that the best are often overlooked to ensure that the college's graduating class looks "colorful." This is just a byproduct of that!

I think California of all places has done away with AA admission preference so UC Berkeley is something like 60% Asian.

Homeland

He has pretty much decided that the whole thing is nothing but a money making scheme. On his first math test he got the highest grade in the class, I think it was an 80 something, he said the average was a 30 something. He got an A, everyone else got a B+. He was there on scholarship and has no legacy ties to the school, after he graduated from Princeton he ended up going to Johns Hopkins medical school and is now an orthopedic surgeon.

So he was the ONLY person in the class who wasn't in the top 1%? He wouldn't be the first arrogant doctor who believed he was better than everyone else.