Individual rights vs Ebola Quarintines

PeoplesElbow

I'm torn on this one.

I am leaning toward the quarantines being fine, I think the place that people have been should have the responsibility of providing the three weeks of quarantine before people can board a plane to travel and possibly infect people on the plane, spread their bodily fluids in the plane or airport etc.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
I'm torn on this one.

I am leaning toward the quarantines being fine, I think the place that people have been should have the responsibility of providing the three weeks of quarantine before people can board a plane to travel and possibly infect people on the plane, spread their bodily fluids in the plane or airport etc.

Maybe the U.S. could compromise with Doctors Without Borders and religious medical missions. Maybe, if the staff returning home would spend 21 days in France before returning to the U.S., maybe then the gummit could let them come home. I select France because we wouldn't miss them if there was an Ebola epidemic there.

TPD

the poor dad
I am not torn on this quarantine issue. As an American citizen who has not broken any laws, I should have the freedom of movement within my own country. If we allow this, what will be next?

PeoplesElbow

I am not torn on this quarantine issue. As an American citizen who has not broken any laws, I should have the freedom of movement within my own country. If we allow this, what will be next?

Im wondering if you would feel this way if someone that had been exposed was running around southern Maryland.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I would just hope that health care providers of all people would know what would be the right thing to do.

TPD

the poor dad
Im wondering if you would feel this way if someone that had been exposed was running around southern Maryland.

Yes I would feel the same way - i'm a recluse. I survived the AIDS scare of the 80s, the odds are in my favor that I will survive this Ebola scare. I'm white.

PeoplesElbow

Yes I would feel the same way - i'm a recluse. I survived the AIDS scare of the 80s, the odds are in my favor that I will survive this Ebola scare. I'm white.

Well AIDS is a bit easier, you just dont use needles or have sex with someone.

Trained medical personel aren't following proper protocol do you really expect a speech about personal responsibility to protect you from an infected person handling your food, using the ATM before you etc?

TPD

the poor dad
Well AIDS is a bit easier, you just dont use needles or have sex with someone.

Trained medical personel aren't following proper protocol do you really expect a speech about personal responsibility to protect you from an infected person handling your food, using the ATM before you etc?

Yes we know that now about AIDS - we didn't know that in the 80s when it first became news. Ten years from now we look back on this Ebola scare and wonder what we were so scared about. Besides, I've got bigger things to worry about now, like how many trucks will be in line ahead of me in the morning waiting to get unloaded, will soybean prices continue going in the opposite direction of gasoline, will I get my winter wheat planted before it rains on Wednesday, and will all my employees show up for work this weekend. Those are the issues of the moment for me - NOT catching Ebola from an ATM. Next week I will worry about my government putting me in quarantine because I puked on a plane due to airsickness.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I'm torn on this one.

it's not a new concept, some people have been locked up for years with the only excuse being that they were disease carriers. Mary Mallon was locked up for more than two decades because she'd had typhus and was capable of transmitting it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm torn on this one.

The quarantines are not based on medicine. They are based on politics. Ebola is VERY infectious. It is not very contagious.

We should not be fine with this.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The quarantines are not based on medicine. They are based on politics. Ebola is VERY infectious. It is not very contagious.

We should not be fine with this.

so Dr. Gude, you believe what the Obama administration is telling you, the guys you would not trust to fight ISIL

Larry Gude

Strung Out

There probably is and no one will ever know because it's not very contagious. There is, what, 6 degrees of separation between you and everyone in history? 100 people on a plane, 100 lives and the people they are near and then them and then so on. You've probably been near someone who was exposed. Me, too. But, I have a secret weapon. I grow ebola proof lettuce. No one, and I mean no one, who has come in contact with my lettuce has ebola, therefore, my lettuce makes one immune.

And that logic, as you laugh, is the same you're using. :buddies:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
so Dr. Gude, you believe what the Obama administration is telling you, the guys you would not trust to fight ISIL

Where did I even suggest that? What does science and medicine have to do with this administration? Even a cursory consideration shows that it's not much of an idea to trust this crew on anything.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Where did I even suggest that? What does science and medicine have to do with this administration? Even a cursory consideration shows that it's not much of an idea to trust this crew on anything.

well ... where did you get your information on ebola from, since you are singing a similar tune as the administration ........

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Ah I see

Ebola R-2
Measles R-18

1276_microbescope4.jpg

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-contagious-is-ebola-2014-10