Big Ten Network

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
With the University of Maryland now in the B1G I really thought Metrocast would offer the Big Ten Network (http://btn.com/) as part of their channel line-up, especially since some of the UMD games are only available on the Big Ten Network.

Maybe if enough of people requested that Metrocast add the Big Ten Network they would: http://www.metrocast.com/channel_request.cfm.

Fortunately all four BTN channels are available on COMCAST. But you need to purchase the "sports addict" package.

blacklabman

With the University of Maryland now in the B1G I really thought Metrocast would offer the Big Ten Network (http://btn.com/) as part of their channel line-up, especially since some of the UMD games are only available on the Big Ten Network.

Maybe if enough of people requested that Metrocast add the Big Ten Network they would: http://www.metrocast.com/channel_request.cfm.

Screw that! Don't give them another reason to jack up rates.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Maryland penalized for unsportsman like conduct before coin toss. PSU team captains offered their hands prior to coin toss and Maryland captains refused to shake hands.

MD wins 20 - 19 over Penn State.

SoccerFan

Nobody wants to watch Maryland's ####ty football team.

Yea...they don't have the greatest program in college football but they did win yesterday and are bowl eligible for the second year in a row.

By the way, the Big Ten Network will carry ALL UMD sports. Their men's soccer team has been one of the best in the nation over the years, their women's basketball team is usually good and you have to think that their men's basketball team will get things turned around sometime in the near future. The BTN is supposed to be about more than just football but I'm not naive enough to believe that the network wasn't created to make more money for the conference's football teams.

SoccerFan

Maryland penalized for unsportsman like conduct before coin toss. PSU team captains offered their hands prior to coin toss and Maryland captains refused to shake hands.

Definitely not the proudest moment for UMD sports. Coaches and the AD need to address this with the players, beyond the apology issued to Penn State. I know they're trying to establish a rivalry with Penn State but this was just poor sportsmanship. It certainly wasn't a good example for any kids watching the game.

PeoplesElbow

Yea...they don't have the greatest program in college football but they did win yesterday and are bowl eligible for the second year in a row.

By the way, the Big Ten Network will carry ALL UMD sports. Their men's soccer team has been one of the best in the nation over the years, their women's basketball team is usually good and you have to think that their men's basketball team will get things turned around sometime in the near future. The BTN is supposed to be about more than just football but I'm not naive enough to believe that the network wasn't created to make more money for the conference's football teams.

My point was a bit hidden. You hardly ever see anyone around here with a UMD hat or shirt on, I see far more Virginia Tech, Penn St, WVU, and even Rutgers representation. The Big 10 invited MD and Rutgers to get some of the DC to NY corridor televisions watching it for TV money. Maryland really should work on their exposure and support in the region. There is no reason a kid that plays football or basketball in the area should not want to play for MD but they seem to go everywhere but MD. Being the states flagship university it should want to embrace the state more.

SoccerFan

Screw that! Don't give them another reason to jack up rates.

I almost didn't send in a channel request to Metrocast or post here in the forums for that exact reason. I'm not looking forward to paying the increased rates any more than anyone else. Maybe Metrocast could offset the costs of adding the Big Ten Network by dropping the SEC Network, since the closest SEC teams are South Carolina and Tennessee. No disrespect intended to the SEC but I think the local cable company should carry the network supporting the in-state team before adding an out-of-state network.

SoccerFan

My point was a bit hidden. You hardly ever see anyone around here with a UMD hat or shirt on, I see far more Virginia Tech, Penn St, WVU, and even Rutgers representation. The Big 10 invited MD and Rutgers to get some of the DC to NY corridor televisions watching it for TV money. Maryland really should work on their exposure and support in the region. There is no reason a kid that plays football or basketball in the area should not want to play for MD but they seem to go everywhere but MD. Being the states flagship university it should want to embrace the state more.

You make a really good point. I agree that UMD needs to do a much, much better job in promoting the image of the entire university, both in the state and throughout the DMV. I don't know exactly what they need to do differently but whatever they're doing now isn't working well.

The last few years UMD was in the ACC it was difficult to, at times, impossible to find any of their games on TV. It's hard to sit down with the family and cheer for the in-state school when their games aren't being broadcast which, unfortunately, leads to very little interest from the kids for actually attending a game or two.

RPMDAD

PeoplesElbow, help me out here, i may have misunderstood your post. I just looked at the UMD football roster and 50 out of 99 players are from MD., VA, and DC. the majority from MD. I guess you are saying the percentage should be higher?

http://www.umterps.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=716328&SPID=120713

PeoplesElbow

PeoplesElbow, help me out here, i may have misunderstood your post. I just looked at the UMD football roster and 50 out of 99 players are from MD., VA, and DC. the majority from MD. I guess you are saying the percentage should be higher?

http://www.umterps.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=716328&SPID=120713

I'm talking about recruiting battles, can you name the last star that UMD won in a recruiting battle?

The most highly rated recruits end up going to other schools within a 6 hr drive.

bilbur

The reason for the lack of UMD stickers is because it is cheaper for someone to go to WVU or VT as an out of state student than it is to go to UMD as an in state resident. At least that was the case when I went to WVU in the late 90's. Why pay more for the same quality education.

FISHTAIL

Coordinating the Truth
I'm talking about recruiting battles, can you name the last star that UMD won in a recruiting battle?

The most highly rated recruits end up going to other schools within a 6 hr drive.

Diggs. But that's probably about it. lol. I also wasn't real pleased with the no handshake thing, but reading about it more it seems like that was a provoked action. From what I've read, PSU players were messing with the UMD guys in pre-game warmups trying to intimidate them, and eventually that pre-game skirmish broke out. Following that, the team captains refused to shake hands. Presumably as a "we are not intimidated by you" gesture. It worked though, that definitely got in the Penn State guys heads, because tempers were flaring for the first few minutes of the game.

Even though I understand some of the reasons behind the handshake bit, I still don't condone it.

As far as stickers are concerned though..I don't usually put stickers on my car. But, I am a Terps fan, and I held season tickets for a while until they ran Ralph out of town. I was pissed with how the university handled that, and I dropped my tickets as a result. Despite this weeks win, I'm still not a fan of Edsall.

PeoplesElbow

The reason for the lack of UMD stickers is because it is cheaper for someone to go to WVU or VT as an out of state student than it is to go to UMD as an in state resident. At least that was the case when I went to WVU in the late 90's. Why pay more for the same quality education.

UMD College Park is slightly larger than VA Tech in Enrollment and slightly smaller than WVU. Tons of fans for both never went to either of those schools, they grew up or live in the area and thus were fans.

It is like nobody really cares about UMD.

If price were the factor I wouldn't expect to see so many Duke hats around.

FISHTAIL

Coordinating the Truth
UMD College Park is slightly larger than VA Tech in Enrollment and slightly smaller than WVU. Tons of fans for both never went to either of those schools, they grew up or live in the area and thus were fans.

It is like nobody really cares about UMD.

If price were the factor I wouldn't expect to see so many Duke hats around.

Could it be because there are no pro teams near either one of those other schools, whereas we have 2? Plus the DC Metro area is a pretty big mixing bowl of folks from all over, I don't think that helps either.

PeoplesElbow

Could it be because there are no pro teams near either one of those other schools, whereas we have 2? Plus the DC Metro area is a pretty big mixing bowl of folks from all over, I don't think that helps either.

It could be but I just don't get why nobody around here seems to care about UMD athletics. This is an interesting article about fans, media markets etc. UMD doesn't really have that many more fans than Troy in the sunbelt conference. I had never even heard of Troy until a few years back and have no idea where they are at, guessing Louisiana or Alabama.

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ege-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/?_r=0

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

As far as stickers are concerned though..I don't usually put stickers on my car. But, I am a Terps fan, and I held season tickets for a while until they ran Ralph out of town. I was pissed with how the university handled that, and I dropped my tickets as a result. Despite this weeks win, I'm still not a fan of Edsall.

I think the fridge was the best thing that ever happened to them, horrible move.