The Cosby Blow

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
Cosby appeared Thursday with the Rev. Jesse Jackson (news - web sites), founder and president of the education fund, who defended the entertainer's statements...

wooohhh! never thought the rev would backup statements like bill's. maybe his view has changed (about time!)

Larry Gude

Strung Out
And there is...

Cosby also said he wasn't concerned that some whites took his comments and turned them "against our people."

...the hurdle.

White people or black people, by speaking truth, is 'against our people'.

Go Bill, go. We have a LONG way to go.

Steve

Enjoying life!
You'll always get some whites who will say "See, I was right all along..." just like you'll always have blacks who will say "The white man is keeping me down." Its the middle that needs to get a grip.

Hessian

You know...
It is a little sad that a man has to prove himself for decades of film, TV, stage, and be a devoted philanthropist...and only then can he "freely" speak his mind without immediate censure.

Yes it took courage....it would have taken even MORE courage if Will Smith or some rising 25 year old had said it.
There is a quiet rule that only the aged can muse on controversial topics....the young bulls act brave and tough in their movies or BET women-chasing videos...but real bravery is standing beside Cosby and saying....He IS right.

Hot N Bothered

Originally posted by Hessian
Yes it took courage....it would have taken even MORE courage if Will Smith or some rising 25 year old had said it.
Will Smith is about 40, but that just makes your point the stronger. Even he, as popular as he is, has another 20 years to go before he could get away with such a controversial statment, as self-evident as it may be.

K

Kizzy

WTG Bill :clap:

There are so many opportunities out there for everyone today in an equal opportunity world. I don't need to be axed questions.

Shakezula

Insert Lame Innuendo Here
"I can't even talk the way these people talk, 'Why you ain't,' 'Where you is' ... and I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. And then I heard the father talk ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth."

Could you imagine if your Dr. spoke to you like this? LMAO.
"Why you ain't takin your medication?" Wow.

Anyway, that entire story was really interesting, and some really great points made by Bill. Thanks for posting! Great read.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
:clap: Way to go Bill. It's about time "ghetto" stopped being glorified. It's sick.

My SIL and I were sitting on her front porch the other day when a group of little black girls walked down the street and passed the house on their way to wherever they were going. I almost $hit myself at what crap was coming out of their mouths. I heard the "n" word several times as well as a new phrase (at least two words I'd never heard combined) "pu### biatch". The oldest of these girls couldn't have been anymore then 10 and the youngest I'd say 4 or 5. Needless to say I'm glad my little one was inside at the time.

A friend of mine (God bless her she thinks she can change the world) got her Masters degree to get paid squat to be a counselor at a local elementary school. I think she said it was over 50% of the students were living below the poverty line. Something like that. She tells me all kinds of horror stories. The one that sticks out in my mind the most is of a first grader who had a comb that folded up like a switch blade. He whipped it out and told her "hey biatch this is a knife and I will cut you".

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
This was the best part of the article:

Cosby also said many young people are failing to honor the sacrifices made by those who struggled and died during the civil rights movement.

"Dogs, water hoses that tear the bark off trees, Emmett Till," he said, naming the black youth who was tortured and murdered in Mississippi in 1955, allegedly for whistling at a white woman. "And you're going to tell me you're going to drop out of school? You're going to tell me you're going to steal from a store?"

Pete

Repete
About freaking time a black leader stopped painting the victim portrait and told the truth. Any ideas how long before someone calls Cosby an Uncle Tom who is seeling out to his white master?

Originally posted by Pete
About freaking time a black leader stopped painting the victim portrait and told the truth. Any ideas how long before someone calls Cosby an Uncle Tom who is seeling out to his white master?
:yeahthat: I was kinda wondering the same thing last night.