Calvert Sheriff race still close...

Forkian

Evans leads Kontra by over 500 votes for Calvert Sheriff. They will count absentee ballots Thursday. I expect Evans to win, but it sure would be nice to see Kontra pull off a victory!

Also, it has been nice to see the voters "flush the toilet" in most races this time around!

Politicians are like diapers. They need changed often, and for the same reason.

mamatutu

mama to two
Evans leads Kontra by over 500 votes for Calvert Sheriff. They will count absentee ballots Thursday. I expect Evans to win, but it sure would be nice to see Kontra pull off a victory!

Also, it has been nice to see the voters "flush the toilet" in most races this time around!

I like your analogy! :lol: There are still too many too long in office politicians as in been there for decades. They were elected before disposable diapers were invented!

As far as the sheriff race, I am Repub, but voted for Kontra. It sure is close, but Evans will win most likely.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
It's Evan's to lose.

People love the guise of safety and security.
What do you mean?

I am a single mom with 2 boys who first lived in apartments in PF and now live in a TH community in PF. I have never, not once in 9 years ever feared for my own or my sons' lives. Thing1 has taken public transportation to work and walks part of the way to catch it and has for over a year. Thing2 walked to Calvert HS quite a bit in his school career, when I couldn't be in 2 places at one time. Not once have they felt unsafe.

My neighborhood is and has been safe for the 5-1/2 years we've lived here.

BOP

that was my philosophy yesterday. I don't have anything against Evans; I'm told he's a pretty good guy and that he's done a good job in Calvert. But, he's the incumbent, and as far as I'm concerned, he's got to go.

mamatutu

mama to two
that was my philosophy yesterday. I don't have anything against Evans; I'm told he's a pretty good guy and that he's done a good job in Calvert. But, he's the incumbent, and as far as I'm concerned, he's got to go.

This will be Evan's 4th term and have him in office for 16 years by 2018. I agree it was time for a change. New blood, and all. Since Kontra has been LEO for 25+ years, I thought he knows the 'skinny' of being on the inside and working under Evans, and was prepared to make some changes. It was close. Oh well.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Evans won his 4th term.

Works out for him, considering Hejl is a commissioner now. Maybe they'll get those iPads they've been wanting.

If Evans won, why does Kontra have the THANK YOU signs on his stuff along Rt 4? Don't the winners put that on their signs?

GregV814

Why would he concede if its still too close to call? I agree its a fresh breath of air to be a gentleman but why throw in the towel now?

I'd like to see Steney toss in the towel.....

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
There are always going to be people with different visions and philosophies challenging the person currently at the top. It's life.

I think Sheriff Evans has done a good job since he's been in office. I see him out in the community all the time, and he is very accessible/approachable. I see him in Walmart and he's talking to folks. His deputies are all over the place. I live in PF and I see them out and about. Sure, I see them up and down Route 4 pulling over speeders. A LOT. However, Rt 4 is a huge problem with traffic and people using it as speedway in lots of sections. It's the main thoroughfare in and out of our county which is used for transporting virtually all kinds of commerce into and out of counties to our north and south and to the west via other roads. (i.e., Rt. 231 into Charles Co) There is a huge problem with accidents on Rt. 4 - from the north to the south.

Running against someone currently holding office doesn't automatically make one person worse than the other. The more competition, the merrier. I've liked and have been happy with the job the current Sheriff has done. I know him a little, have had some personal interactions with him politically in the past, in person in the community and also through my employment. I had no reason to NOT vote for him.

Conversely, I thought Kontra sounded like a disgruntled former employee, although I don't know a lot (first hand) about the "office politics" that I've heard rumors about. I thought in following some of the comments on the Kontra FB page, that a lot of the folks who posted looked like uneducated redneck idiots. (just my observations)

edreedisgod20

Has this become official yet? The last I saw yesterday morning was that Sheriff Evans was 500~ votes ahead with 800~ absentee ballots to count by today. I would assume with my limited political knowledge that those aren't going to be so slanted towards Kontra that he will overtake him but I hadn't seen anything official.

Chris0nllyn

Has this become official yet? The last I saw yesterday morning was that Sheriff Evans was 500~ votes ahead with 800~ absentee ballots to count by today. I would assume with my limited political knowledge that those aren't going to be so slanted towards Kontra that he will overtake him but I hadn't seen anything official.

Both Absentee and the provisional ballots have yet to be counted, so it's not official yet.

frequentflier

happy to be living
A lot of what I read and heard was that people wanted the Sheriff's office in more neighborhoods and less on route 4 giving out tickets. Many people in the Ranch Club want more deputies on patrol; which makes sense because it takes awhile for an officer to respond if something's going down. Especially since the speed limit is 25 MPH in CRE. As one who has the scanner on 24/7, I know it can take awhile if the only available deputy is not close by. Kontra said he would put more deputies back in the neighborhoods.
Several years ago, CRE offered Mr. Evans office space for his deputies at the admin building as kind of a substation. He declined. A couple deputies I spoke to and many citizens- thought it was a great idea. More police presence in CRE, a place to do paperwork (and maybe use a restroom!) but the Sheriff said no. I think they have a substation in Solomons.
Personally, I think it is time for a change. Where I do not have any personal issues with Mike Evans, I would welcome some new blood in the Sheriffs office.

itsrequired

A lot of what I read and heard was that people wanted the Sheriff's office in more neighborhoods and less on route 4 giving out tickets. Many people in the Ranch Club want more deputies on patrol; which makes sense because it takes awhile for an officer to respond if something's going down. Especially since the speed limit is 25 MPH in CRE. As one who has the scanner on 24/7, I know it can take awhile if the only available deputy is not close by. Kontra said he would put more deputies back in the neighborhoods.
Several years ago, CRE offered Mr. Evans office space for his deputies at the admin building as kind of a substation. He declined. A couple deputies I spoke to and many citizens- thought it was a great idea. More police presence in CRE, a place to do paperwork (and maybe use a restroom!) but the Sheriff said no. I think they have a substation in Solomons.
Personally, I think it is time for a change. Where I do not have any personal issues with Mike Evans, I would welcome some new blood in the Sheriffs office.

51% of the people in Calvert county who voted disagree with you.