What to check out In DC?

rahjahdat

I was wondering what are the top spots in DC to check out? I'll definitely be going to the museums and viewing the monuments. Any places to eat and other attractions that aren't as well known?

tuffenuff2

The post office tower was always a place we took visiting relatives. Not sure if it is open due to Trump buying it. Enjoyed the food at Les Halles. The Gaylord is amazing!!

Hannibal

Such a broad question ......

What are you going for? Sight seeing? Fine dining? Entertainment? Just something different to do?

There are museums. Some great resteraunts depending on where you are, what you want to eat (and most importantly), what you want to spend. Hockey / basketball games. Great bars. Things literally just outside of DC (Arlington, etc).

Urbanite

I was wondering what are the top spots in DC to check out? I'll definitely be going to the museums and viewing the monuments. Any places to eat and other attractions that aren't as well known?

It's a little out of DC, but I think everyone at some time or another should visit the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, especially during the changing of the Guard, my friends / family from out of town always love it , one of my fav restaurants is Sequoia DC, and one more place everyone loves is walking thru Georgetown - 2 places to eat that are always great are the The Tombs (which I think has ties to the filming of the Exorcist but not sure about that) and the 1789 not to mention the historic Old Ebbits Grill .

Stew

I guess it's been awhile since you've been to DC. That section of 14th street that was the famous "red light" area is looooooong gone!

It's amazing how they transformed that area from how it used to be " back in the day." Same thing with 42nd street in NYC.

TPD

the poor dad
Ride the Metro Greenline - get off at a stop in southeast - congress heights or southern ave- and just walk around & take in the sights.

Freefaller

Make sure to go to the front of the White House at Lafayette Park. Great view of the mansion. Also, there are statues of 4 heros from the American Revolution, one in each corner of the park. Funny thing, none of the Heros immortilized there were Americans (or Brits). One corner has the Marquis de Lafayette (French), General Thaddeus Kosciuszko (Polish) , General Comte de Rochambeau (French, he led the French ground troops at the battle at Yorktown) and Baron von Steuben (Prussian, who was responsible for training the continental army and turning the continentals into a real army, during the winter at Valley Forge)

Last edited:

Freefaller

If you're into such things, the botannical gardens are pretty cool and it doesn't take a lot of time. It's up next to the Capital Building.

Go to Arlington National Cemetary and watch the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It is quite impressive to see. That big white house on the top of the hill in the cemetary was the home of Robert E Lee.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Go to Arlington National Cemetary and watch the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It is quite impressive to see. That big white house on the top of the hill in the cemetary was the home of Robert E Lee.

Love, love Arlington National Cemetary. Of course, I'm a little biased since my Dad and (his Dad) Grandfather are buried there. I want to go back and check out the Robert E. Lee home and other sites in there as well. After you watch the changing of the guard, check out the building behind them. Great exhibit on the Unknown Soldiers.

awpitt

Main Streeter

Harry's (corner of 11th & E st) has good food, and reasonable prices. It's around the corner from Ford's Theater which is worth a visit. Also nearby is the Navy Memorial/museum and the National Archives.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Harry's (corner of 11th & E st) has good food, and reasonable prices. It's around the corner from Ford's Theater which is worth a visit. Also nearby is the Navy Memorial/museum and the National Archives.

Isn't Harry next to Fogo de Chao :drool:

rahjahdat

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Any info on where to park while driving from south Maryland? I parked in pentagon city shopping mall and caught the metro to the smithsonian station. It came out to $12 as we bought something for validation, and the metro came out to a total of aprox $6. Are there any cheaper options?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Any info on where to park while driving from south Maryland? I parked in pentagon city shopping mall and caught the metro to the smithsonian station. It came out to $12 as we bought something for validation, and the metro came out to a total of aprox $6. Are there any cheaper options?

You might consider driving to the Branch Avenue Metro station and go in that way. http://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm