Where to dispose old paint?

steppinthrax

Besides going all the way to Lusby. I have several 5 gallon containers. All old a dried out. I can't dump them at the convenience center.

RPMDAD

What kind of paint, Latex is disposable.

Latex Paint
Thousands of tax dollars are spent each year disposing of latex paint as hazardous when, in fact, it is not hazardous. All residual and leftover latex paint must be hardened or dried. For small quantities, remove the lid from the can and let the paint dry. For larger quantities, you may need to use a bulking or drying agent such as paint hardener, mulch, kitty litter, etc. When the paint is dry and hard, you may place it in a trash bag for disposal.

http://www.co.cal.md.us/index.aspx?NID=357

steppinthrax

What kind of paint, Latex is disposable.

Latex Paint
Thousands of tax dollars are spent each year disposing of latex paint as hazardous when, in fact, it is not hazardous. All residual and leftover latex paint must be hardened or dried. For small quantities, remove the lid from the can and let the paint dry. For larger quantities, you may need to use a bulking or drying agent such as paint hardener, mulch, kitty litter, etc. When the paint is dry and hard, you may place it in a trash bag for disposal.

http://www.co.cal.md.us/index.aspx?NID=357

Wow didn't know that. So I just will pull the cover off the container. Hopefully it will dry out. But will they still argue with me on it?

RPMDAD

Just pull the cover off the paint cans, not sure how many containers you have, it will dry out. Just put in a yard trash bag and throw away at the convenience center. Takes a few days to dry out.

TPD

the poor dad
Wow didn't know that. So I just will pull the cover off the container. Hopefully it will dry out. But will they still argue with me on it?

Dude you don't go to the dump very often. Don't you know how to put lipstick on a pig?

GopherM

Darwin was right
A better way to get rid of latex is to get a box of sawdust, shredded paper or just a lot of wadded up paper and pour the paint over it and allow it to dry. Then just throw it in the trash. It is completely legal to dispose of it that way. We have several paper shredders at work and I just bring bags of it home and pour the paint right into the plastic bag.

steppinthrax

Dude you don't go to the dump very often. Don't you know how to put lipstick on a pig?

Actually I did already LOL.

When I went to the dump today I took several of the paint cans and put them in the bottom of the can. I placed several more just in my vehicle. When I pulled in I noticed the person who's normally there managing the compactor was a kid in his teens asphyxiated to his iPhone!!!!

Safe to say Everything went into the f----- trash.

sm8

My Uncle works at St. Mary's public works and he always tells people to just put cat litter in it to dry it out. He usually keeps a bag of cat litter in the building encase someone has paint that is not dry.

PeoplesElbow

Just pull the cover off the paint cans, not sure how many containers you have, it will dry out. Just put in a yard trash bag and throw away at the convenience center. Takes a few days to dry out.

It takes forever to dry out. When I moved in my house the previous owners did me the favor of leaving me over 20 cans of paint in my shed. I took the lids off, even the ones that only had a couple inches of paint were not dry after the entire summer sitting in my shed in the sun.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
2014 Household Hazardous Waste Collection Days
All events are 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., rain or shine.
Mount Hope Community Center, 104 Pushaw Station Road, Sunderland: March 22 and Sept. 13
Appeal Municipal Landfill, 401 Sweetwater Road, Lusby: June 21 and Nov. 15

cleaning out MIL basement with MUCh OLD stuff, this is another easy way to get rid of stuff. If you have small amounts, litty litter will work, mix it up a bit and your good. Used litter will work too ;-)))))))))))))))))))))