American Vets Donation Services real or fake charity?

PeoplesElbow

Just got a telemarketing call from American Vets Donation Services" guy had trouble with the name and I never heard of it. Is it a real charity or one of the many scam calls that have been going around lately?

imaref

If you have caller ID type the phone number that called in to google or go to 800notes.com - sounds like a scam to me. You're better off looking online for a respected veterans' charity and donating directly. I never give donations to anyone that calls--about 90% of them are scams, and the ones that aren't pay telemarketers WAY too high a percentage of your donation towards their bill for telemarketing.

PeoplesElbow

If you have caller ID type the phone number that called in to google or go to 800notes.com - sounds like a scam to me. You're better off looking online for a respected veterans' charity and donating directly. I never give donations to anyone that calls--about 90% of them are scams, and the ones that aren't pay telemarketers WAY too high a percentage of your donation towards their bill for telemarketing.

My feelings also, I have a personal rule never to buy anything from anyone who comes to me.

Caller ID info is easy to spoof so it is unreliable at best.

sm8

My neighbors have donated to them. They put piles of stuff out by the mailbox for pickup. A few times I have seen a guy come to pick stuff up and was not impressed. He would pick thru and only take certain things and just leave the rest there. I feel it should be a take all or nothing kind of thing.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Amvets has been around for a very long time. The same gal that used to call my house when I was a teen still calls my mom to this day.

flyingdog

My neighbors have donated to them. They put piles of stuff out by the mailbox for pickup. A few times I have seen a guy come to pick stuff up and was not impressed. He would pick thru and only take certain things and just leave the rest there. I feel it should be a take all or nothing kind of thing.

If a non-profit was to just take everything people donated and not things useful to them they would be left to figure out what to do with the items they can't use. You might think "well just donate it to another non-profit" but there is a cost of collecting and transporting ALL those items as well. If I donated money to such an organization I would be upset that my funds were being used to transport someone's stuff that they could not use. You might think "just trash it" but then the donor of said items would be upset that their items were discarded. IMO this makes the organization more reputable.

PeoplesElbow

Thats too bad, the guy on the phone with me needed a little bit of training or something he did not sound legit at all.