Front door

BOP

I don't have the mad skillz I need to realign my front door and storm door. They both seem to be out of whack and allowing cold air in during the winter (and out during the summer). Any recommendations?

PeoplesElbow

I don't have the mad skillz I need to realign my front door and storm door. They both seem to be out of whack and allowing cold air in during the winter (and out during the summer). Any recommendations?

Wait till it is dark, have someone with a flashlight to shine it around the edges of the door while you are inside. You will see light where there are gaps.

PS make sure it is also dark inside.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
You mean like they are discombobulated in the frame and need to be re-leveled/ balanced?

glhs837

Power with Control
Most likely, they are just not contacting the weatherstripping properly. Do what the Elbow says. Also, When it's cold out, feel where those drafts are, then grab the knob and pull the door tighter in the frame, see if that helps. Once you know the exact problem, we can break down the mad skilz.

BOP

I don't have to wait for night time. I can see daylight on the doorknob side starting about doorknob level, all the way down to the bottom of the door. The gap between the door and the frame at the top is roughly an eighth of an inch, but it widens to about a quarter of an inch, starting about where the doorknob is and continues to the bottom.

I've eyeballed the hinge side and the top, but those gaps seem to be relatively even. Not perfectly even, and I'm not sure if it's enough to affect the opposite side of the door or not.

BOP

The second part of it is the storm door. One is, it looks to be bowed in the middle on the doorknob side. the edge of the door makes contact with the weather strip at the bottom and the top of the door, but not in the middle...so it's bowed outward.

Two is that it barely makes contact with the weather strip where it does contact it. Only the very fine edge of the door makes contact. There is a deadbolt on the storm door, but it no longer reaches into the hole in the frame, to the point where you can push the storm door open without unlocking it.

I just looked at the storm door; it may or may not be bowed. Something is out of whack, though.

Last edited:

General Lee

This is what I would try.... For the front door, unscrew the bottom hinge and shim it, then screw it back. Depending on your gap size will depend on the how much shimming you will have to do. This should push the bottom of the door out a little and make up some of that gap. You may to do it to the middle hinge as well.

I would then replace all the weather stripping all the way around. A pair of pliers to grip it and it pulls right. Lowes carries the stuff and its even easier to cut and replace it. New weather stripping may make up the rest of the gaps.

Sounds like you may just need a new storm door. Without actually seeing the issues, I think your options are very limited on both doors, without re-doing the framing and such.

BOP

This is what I would try.... For the front door, unscrew the bottom hinge and shim it, then screw it back. Depending on your gap size will depend on the how much shimming you will have to do. This should push the bottom of the door out a little and make up some of that gap. You may to do it to the middle hinge as well.

I would then replace all the weather stripping all the way around. A pair of pliers to grip it and it pulls right. Lowes carries the stuff and its even easier to cut and replace it. New weather stripping may make up the rest of the gaps.

Sounds like you may just need a new storm door. Without actually seeing the issues, I think your options are very limited on both doors, without re-doing the framing and such.

Thanks. Found a couple of videos online that show a couple of different ways to do that.