Donating a working CRT television?

Goldenhawk

Any suggestions on a good place to donate a WORKING old-style television (non flat panel, CRT type)? I hate to recycle it when it actually works just fine. I would prefer to know that someone will actually get some use out of it.

I don't think the local thrift stores are very excited about them, so I'd prefer to avoid that route. Any 501C organizations that could actually USE them, perhaps?

I don't want to go this route, but this thread discussed disposing or recycling televisions.
http://forums.somd.com/threads/230483-TV-disposal

mamatutu

mama to two
Any suggestions on a good place to donate a WORKING old-style television (non flat panel, CRT type)? I hate to recycle it when it actually works just fine. I would prefer to know that someone will actually get some use out of it.

I don't think the local thrift stores are very excited about them, so I'd prefer to avoid that route. Any 501C organizations that could actually USE them, perhaps?

I don't want to go this route, but this thread discussed disposing or recycling televisions.

Maybe Echo House in Prince Frederick. Or a nursing home. I still have those type TV's, so I am not ready to donate yet. :lol:

NTNG

I just donated an older <10yrs > large screen TV to the Hbitat for Humanity folks in LP. Call 301-737-6273 to arrange for pick up. They did ask for a $10.00 "donation" once they loaded the TV, but hey, it's a charitable donation.
FYI: I did get a reciept for tax purposes for the TV.

Forkian

I just donated an older <10yrs > large screen TV to the Hbitat for Humanity folks in LP. Call 301-737-6273 to arrange for pick up. They did ask for a $10.00 "donation" once they loaded the TV, but hey, it's a charitable donation.
FYI: I did get a reciept for tax purposes for the TV.

Wow, you are giving them a free television and they hit you up for cash top of that! :smack:
Don't think I will be donating anything to them anytime soon!

Wow, you are giving them a free television and they hit you up for cash top of that! :smack:
Don't think I will be donating anything to them anytime soon!
Most places that you "donate" a CRT to end up having to dispose of it because nobody wants them. It costs them $10.00 per unit to dispose of them (hazardous waste landfill). Other option is to take it to the transfer station and put it with the electronic recycling stuff. No fee to you, but no write off either.

bilbur

You can try Smartco, they deal mostly with computer equipment that they refurbish for local schools but they might take a TV too. Here is the LINK to their website.

Homer J

Power Chord
You can try Smartco, they deal mostly with computer equipment that they refurbish for local schools but they might take a TV too. Here is the LINK to their website.

They are charging a $10 fee for CRT monitor drop-off. I would assume the same would apply to CRT televisions. You can't even give them away.

John Z

if you will
So true. I was trying to give one away last year in great condition and nobody wanted it, in fact I got laughed at for offering it!

So true; absolutely nobody wants a tube TV. Thankfully up in Communist Charles County, electronic recycling is free. I've recycled several CRT devices.

Pretty soon people wont want an HDTV unless it is a "smart TV", "curved", or "4K".

bilbur

So true. I was trying to give one away last year in great condition and nobody wanted it, in fact I got laughed at for offering it!

If someone could figure out a way to convert them into something and make them marketable they could make millions. Say they could turn them into fish tanks or something else, the base materials (the CRT TV) would be free because a bunch of people still have them and they don't want them. If anyone runs with this idea I just want 10% of the profits.:lmao:

Idunno

Best Buy will take them as part of their recycling program if no one wants them. They took 2 of ours along with some old computer towers (minus the HD) and old cell phones. It was free!

Last edited:

Vince

I'm keeping mine until it blows up. :lol: I have one of the last large screen's before they came out with the new ones. 52" JVC and it's a monster to move. :lol: When it blows up, I'll take it to the dump and upgrade.

pelers

Habitat asks for the $10 donation if they come to your home to pick items up for you. They pulled a bunch of junk out of my basement for me the other month, $10 I was happy to give them.

But yeah, seconding that Best Buy has a free electronics recycling program. The trash convenience centers also have a special area set aside for electronics and they don't charge you for dropping stuff off. They let me drop an old projection TV there a couple of years back with no fuss.

bohman

I happily pay Habitat the $10 to get rid of stuff like that. I don't have to spend my time posting stuff for sale and finding a buyer, I don't have to use my time and gas money to move it, and somebody else can throw out their back picking that heavy stuff up and putting it in the truck. That's 10 bucks well spent.

WashCaps

Try FreeCycle.org and click St. Mary's County after you select the Maryland page. When I moved a couple years ago, items I wasn't taking with me I offered up on FreeCycle. I offered up a Washer/Dryer set, two older style T.V's, and an older twin bed. No problems giving away any of the stuff. All persons came over to pick the items up themselves so it saved me a trip to the landfill.