Metrocast internet speeds

itsbob

I bowl overhand
For those of you that have the Metrocast Ultra high speed internet package, the speed will be increasing from 50/5 to 75/5 very soon. Some of the other areas Metrocast serves have already gotten the increase. Not sure when they'll flip the switch here in St. Mary's but it should be soon!

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29664111-Speed-Increase

Wow, would.be nice if Metrocast actually got off their ass and came across the street to us..

rahjahdat

I live in St. Mary's and I have heard metrocast is the only ISP in my area. I was wondering how much is the installation fee and the costs to rent their modem/router each month? I'm not sure how long I'll be in the area to purchase my own modem and router, but if you know of any cheap ones that are compatible with metrocast, I would be glad to check them out.

mitzi

I live in St. Mary's and I have heard metrocast is the only ISP in my area. I was wondering how much is the installation fee and the costs to rent their modem/router each month? I'm not sure how long I'll be in the area to purchase my own modem and router, but if you know of any cheap ones that are compatible with metrocast, I would be glad to check them out.

You should call them. Their installation fees can vary, depending on if they're running a "special" or not.

wubbles

5 upload speed is pathetic. If I had another option I would switch immediately. I'd rather go to 50/10 than 75/5.

icequeen2727

I live off Laurel Grove Rd, but off a private street about 1/2 mile back so since I don't live in a "development" I can't get their service. I asked how much it would cost to run cable/internet back here for me and 10 of my neighbors they stated $20,000. WOW. So, I am stuck with Satellite internet which is VERY expensive. Before we moved I had Metrocast. So much cheaper (1/3 of the price I pay for satellite).

wubbles

I live off Laurel Grove Rd, but off a private street about 1/2 mile back so since I don't live in a "development" I can't get their service. I asked how much it would cost to run cable/internet back here for me and 10 of my neighbors they stated $20,000. WOW. So, I am stuck with Satellite internet which is VERY expensive. Before we moved I had Metrocast. So much cheaper (1/3 of the price I pay for satellite).

I would never move before learning my utilities... shame

koan00

So if your neighbors all agree, thats only 2,000 each. Depending on how much internet you use, it would probably pay off fairly soon, and increase home value to. Doesn't sound too bad.

yobear

I would certainly welcome a 75mb/s download speed upgrade but an increase/doubling of our upload speeds would serve my needs much better. Upload speeds are much more important for the masses today then a year or so. ago More folks save and backup to the cloud, work from the cloud, and enjoy High Definition video chatting.

icequeen2727

No, neighbors are too cheap. The one that lost their house to foreclosure that we bought now lives 2 houses down with their mother. So, we will use HughesNet in the meantime. I guess as long as it is reliable it will be ok. I would rather live among nature and deal with the higher internet bill, :)

BernieP

Resident PIA
Well, I got a $400,000 house for $180,000 that was in foreclosure with almost no fix up so I couldn't pass it up :)

hate to break the news to you, if you paid $180,000, that's what the house is worth. It may have been worth $400K at one time, but clearly the market price has dropped.

FWIW, the same reason Metrocast won't run cable back to you is why Verizon doesn't even have SMC on it's FiOS roadmap - just not worth the cost to do it.

yobear

Has anyone received a notice confirming the speed increase? I do remember receiving something about the price increase...

icequeen2727

I got a private appraisal and the county appraisal. That tells me what it's worth right? I sure am paying taxes on that amount, argh

koan00

Has anyone received a notice confirming the speed increase? I do remember receiving something about the price increase...
Yes, it was included in my last billing statement.
e3f300f6038a3d48310d1bbb0c6d949e.jpg

koan00

Thanks...so I wonder when they'll throw the switch....
They usually start the speed increase early (around now). People who really want the update first reboot their modems daily in anticipation of the new profile being downloaded to their modems. After the initial update, the short term experiences is great speeds off peak, but poor network performance during peak times and other issues until they get all the wrinkles sorted out. This process takes a few months, but by late winter/early spring things stabilize.

officeguy

You may be better off getting a good communications contractor to set up your own own system. Just get one tap into their network at the next road and run your own distribution.

Metrocast doesn't have an interest in running long lines into peoples properties that they now have to maintain all the way to the consumers equipment.

Last edited: