Proper Paint To Use

DEEKAYPEE8569

.....in a bathroom, where it tends to steam up.....semi-gloss or latex? My Brother painted a bathroom recently and used Rustoleum semi-gloss.

General Lee

Whatever paint brand you choose from whatever store you choose, just make sure it is rated for bathrooms. Semi-gloss, satin, etc doesn't matter, that is a personal choice. Just make sure its rated for bathrooms.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
GL is right. Semi-gloss, Satin, Gloss, eggshell, etc.etc.etc is just the finish. You can get any one of them in Latex or oil base. I like latex because it cleans up with soap & water. The latex products out there today are very good and will last if walls are prepped right.

glhs837

Power with Control
If the bathroom is properly ventilated, any qualtiy paint should be fine. You can get an antifungal agent added at some places when it's mixed.

DEEKAYPEE8569

If I can remember what the can said, the paint used was a semi-gloss oil-based paint. As I said before, the painted walls in the whole bathroom; mostly above the shower stall will "sweat," then leave water marks. I've half a mind to re-paint what I can reach (around the sink and the toilet) with latex paint.

PeoplesElbow

If I can remember what the can said, the paint used was a semi-gloss oil-based paint. As I said before, the painted walls in the whole bathroom; mostly above the shower stall will "sweat," then leave water marks. I've half a mind to re-paint what I can reach (around the sink and the toilet) with latex paint.

You may have to use primer over oil base before applying latex paint, it all depends.

At a minimum wash the walls/ceiling down and let them dry first.

nutz

Take more cold showers.....:whistle: What you are seeing is a fairly normal condensation effect. Two possible easy answers; run the vent fan while using the shower or wipe the wall dry after showering.

And my opinion is the same as PE. You will be better off priming and/or scuffing before painting. Washing alone won't really help.

Last edited:

DEEKAYPEE8569

Take more cold showers.....:whistle: What you are seeing is a fairly normal condensation effect. Two possible easy answers; run the vent fan while using the shower or wipe the wall dry after showering.

And my opinion is the same as PE. You will be better off priming and/or scuffing before painting. Washing alone won't really help.

I do do that, but the bathroom door's usually closed. Hey.....:boing: I guess I'll just leave the door cracked open.

acommondisaster

It's recommended that you run the fan for about 20 minutes after you shower. You may be showering with the fan on and then turning it off too soon.

DEEKAYPEE8569

It's recommended that you run the fan for about 20 minutes after you shower. You may be showering with the fan on and then turning it off too soon.
I try to remember to do that, actually. I guess I just have to become more vigilant about checking the dehumidification.
Another off-the-forum suggestion was, 'take cooler showers'.....uuummm.....no thanks. Taking hot showers at night before hittin' the sack helps me sleep; like I need help in that area. Usually all I have to do is sit and try to watch TV, and I'm out. \:-/

SoMD_Fun_Guy

Do you like apples?
Also, check the vent fan to make sure that it is clear of dust. Over time they get clogged with dust and will limit air flow. It wouldn't hurt to vacuum it out every 6 months or so (depending on how quick it clogs).

DEEKAYPEE8569

Also, check the vent fan to make sure that it is clear of dust. Over time they get clogged with dust and will limit air flow. It wouldn't hurt to vacuum it out every 6 months or so (depending on how quick it clogs).

I looked two days ago. There was a quilt in there. :lol:
So, I took down the grate; hit it with the air compressor, vacuumed the fan blades and wherever the vac tool could reach, then put the grate back up. It works better now, but it's a small fan. Dimensions elude me. It makes whirring sounds and moves air, but even for the small bathroom it's in, it takes time to eliminate shower steam and "fumes." I might just start cracking the window. :shrug:

Chris0nllyn

I had the same problem until I renovated my bathroom and upgraded the bathroom fan.

I sized it bigger than the square footage of my bathroom and now I never have the issue.

May be worth a shot.

Oh, and I used semi-gloss paint.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I had the same problem until I renovated my bathroom and upgraded the bathroom fan.

I sized it bigger than the square footage of my bathroom and now I never have the issue.

May be worth a shot.

Oh, and I used semi-gloss paint.

Last night I looked at the can of pain used. Rustoleum oil based something or other; shoulda wrote it down. Anyway. The only prep that was done was 'mudding" screw holes from shelves/towel racks and then painting over the old paint which was latex, I believe; no primer used. I'm not sure if I'll wind up priming and re-painting over what my Brother did.