How long...

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Before things with you and your sig other got "serious"?

I was kind of interested when I saw so many people chime in on Larry's thread that things moved quickly with their significant others. Magazines and movies make it seem like the best way to do relationships is getting to know people for long periods of time and growing a relationship..my experience has always been different. And I'm surprised it isn't just me. My current bf for instance..7 months ago we went out to dinner, to lunch the next day, then dinner two days later and haven't left each others presence since. We even moved in together last month ( it just happened to be good timing and mutually beneficial) and I was so weird-ed out because I felt like other people would think it was too soon, but I felt perfectly comfortable with it.

SoMDGirl42

( it just happened to be good timing and mutually beneficial) and I was so weird-ed out because I felt like other people would think it was too soon, but I felt perfectly comfortable with it.

don't worry about what others think, do what makes you happy. If moving in with your bf three days after meeting him makes you happy, why should anyone else care?

SoMD_Fun_Guy

Do you like apples?
Before things with you and your sig other got "serious"?

I was kind of interested when I saw so many people chime in on Larry's thread that things moved quickly with their significant others. Magazines and movies make it seem like the best way to do relationships is getting to know people for long periods of time and growing a relationship..my experience has always been different. And I'm surprised it isn't just me. My current bf for instance..7 months ago we went out to dinner, to lunch the next day, then dinner two days later and haven't left each others presence since. We even moved in together last month ( it just happened to be good timing and mutually beneficial) and I was so weird-ed out because I felt like other people would think it was too soon, but I felt perfectly comfortable with it.

So, when's the baby due?
:justjoking:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
You know the last guy I was serious with, we were together for exactly 2.5 yrs when we finally moved in together. We were always pretty open about eventually marrying and having a family too. After barely 3 months I realized it was a huge mistake and it took me another 3 months to act on it and get the heck back out. :shrug:

Sometimes you just know. Plus we're old ladies now... ain't nobody got time to be dickin' around with games and ####.

catlingirl

so did that quickness ever make you worried?
Not really it was an adventure and a lot of fun at the time. And that's the way life should be.
Funny thing is we spilt after a month but got married a year after we met and are still kinda together. Its 20 yrs for us next month,if we make it that it is.lol

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think when it's right, you know it. We all know couples who lived together for years, she pressed marriage, he said he didn't want that, she busted up with him, and he was married to some other woman within a year. If you've been together for any length of time without declaring a commitment (or, my god, even having sex) then that's not the right one.

luvmygdaughters

I knew my ex-husband approximately 6 or 7 months before we eloped. Married 8 years and had two daughters. Have had some good relationships and some not so good. My hubby and I have been married 3 years this December, but, we lived together for 20 years before we did that. He was in no rush and neither was I. Honestly, health issues had a lot to do with our decision to get married. But, we're happy. He still makes me laugh and I enjoy our time together. So I guess what I'm saying is, how long you've known someone may not be as important as how WELL you know someone before becoming serious.

I knew my husband a couple years before we started dating. We went out on one night and 5 months later he proposed and I had no doubts so I accepted. Been married about 24 years now.

I know couples who dated for years and ended up splitting. I know couples who knew at the first date and are still together decades later. I don't think you can put a time on it.

Roman

We had friends years ago, that lived together 15 years. They decided to marry, and had a child but broke up before he was born. I think their marriage lasted maybe 5 months. Funny how life goes sometimes.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
My father told my mother on their first date he was going to marry her. They had a long-distance relationship for a year and then married. They were 6 months shy of their 50th anniversary when he passed.

My boyfriend moved in two months after we met. Our relationship probably would have progressed smoother had we waited, but it's been ongoing for four years now.

My nephew just married a man he's only known for two months. That freaked me out a bit but only because I have a propensity against marriage/legal entanglement, but who am I to say anything?

:shrug:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Prior to meeting/marrying Bob, I went through a self-induced dating drought that lasted about 2 years.

Prior to the drought, I dated a guy (and lived with him) for 6 years. With him, I wanted to get married, but he didn't. Not unusual, he started dating someone a month after we broke up, and within eight months, he was married to her. The reality: he wanted to get married, just not to me. It was a horrible thing to realize that fact, and it rattled me for a long time, which is why I did my self-induced dating drought.

But I met Bob in August, and in February he moved in. We've been together ever since.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I met the most incredible woman. So life right now is pretty much 1 continuous first date. Sure at time it get lumpy but those times are few and far between. I have a best friend, a confidant and is amazingly sensual. Plus she can cook her ass off and makes me feel special. Life is good. Openness and conversation seem to be the keys.

Last edited:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
We met in December 2012 and saw each other weekly (forum Meet & Greets) until we began dating. Our first real "date" was April 1 -he drove me to WHC to see my mom, who'd been there about 2 weeks and was pretty ill. Anyhoo, I visited with her for the morning, while he sat in the waiting room reading a book. We left about noon to drive into DC, had lunch from a street vendor and ended up staying about 5 hours visiting museums and just walking around. He came over Sunday and we made homemade pizzas. We were a couple after that.

My mom went into Hospice 2 weeks later, and I also still had the Things and their lives to consider, so we only dated about 3-4 days a week. We did that until June, 2013 when he moved in with us. ♥

mamatutu

mama to two
This is one of those threads that should be brought back in a year from now. Bookmark. I am sure it will be interesting. I met my current hub through the WashPo. I was in Potomac, he was in SoMD. This was before computer dating. I was one of those that swore off men for a long time because the father of my children left us, and there was hell to pay. Think little blue sports car and girlfriend that just left her husband, (can you say midlife crisis) but whatever. Life does work out, just like my mom always told me. I was the winner in the end. Thank you, mom, and God. I count my blessings every day.

On topic: I met him after a month on the phone. I was still like I don't know. Then my girlfriends met him and were saying 'are you crazy'! He is the best. If it wasn't for them, I would still be looking. Thank you, friends for getting me past that bad time. Love you! I found the best husband in the entire world.

Last edited:

acommondisaster

Met my husband on an airplane, on my way to A school. We were both stationed at Pensacola. Started going out in a group setting the next night, but we paired off pretty much right away. We dated about 4 months, but didn't get serious (no sex), because we were both due to get orders and we figured we wouldn't get on the same side of the globe, so there was no reason to start something (he was in the Marines, I was Navy). We both got orders to Hawaii (different duty stations) and we dated for 3 years. When he was due to get out of the Marines, and I still had a year left in the Navy we got married. We didn't live together prior to getting married; he was stationed on the other side of the island and he was expected to stay in the barracks and do Marine stuff in his off time; just too complicated. We've been married since 1978.

Tami2red

You know the last guy I was serious with, we were together for exactly 2.5 yrs when we finally moved in together. We were always pretty open about eventually marrying and having a family too. After barely 3 months I realized it was a huge mistake and it took me another 3 months to act on it and get the heck back out. :shrug:

Sometimes you just know. Plus we're old ladies now... ain't nobody got time to be dickin' around with games and ####.

Ain't nobody got time for dat!

:roflmao: